View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2013 #24
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
Two days ago, Mrs Dutton heard 3 shots fired outside in the early morning. She went outside but saw nothing.

Yesterday, while driving to a nearby town, her car became uncontrollable and she ran off the road. Somebody had taken all the lug nuts off one tire, but one. That's attempted murder, in my opinion. And she had the 3 children with her.

This has been reported to Sheriff's department, according to Craig, who phoned me today.

He wants to keep the house, and he wants it gotten up to code so they won't tear it down.

Mrs Dutton has enough on her mind, and doesn't need to think that everything that happens is somebody trying to get her.

She just had her tires replaced (from being slashed). Re-torquing your lug nuts is recommended by most shops shortly after mounting as a safety precaution. Wheel separation is becoming more common.

Quote:
Loose Wheel Nut

Loose wheel nuts can occur for a variety of reasons, including undertorquing, overtorquing, differential thermal contraction, and improper mating surfaces.

Both undertorquing and overtorquing are common when air impact wrenches are used because the actual torque that gets applied depends on so many variables.

Differential thermal contraction can occur when wheels are mounted at shop temperatures in cold climates.

Improper mating surfaces include both damaged and contaminated mating surfaces.

A loose wheel nut can originate from any of these sources individually, or more probably, from a combination of these sources - which makes the task of eliminating all loose wheel nuts very difficult.

Wheel detachments occur at an estimated rate of 40 to 60 per week in the U.S., resulting in about 20 reported accidents per week. Studies in both the U.S. and Canada have indicated that about 45% to 50% of these wheel separations are caused by loose wheel nuts.

http://www.normarkindustries.com/CausesEffects.htm
Quote:
Wheel Separations

By: Mark Bailey, MSc, PEng, PE

Wheels suddenly detach from moving cars and trucks more often than many people think. These ‘wheel separations’ can lead to serious injuries from the vehicle losing control, from the separated wheel colliding with another vehicle or pedestrian, or from another vehicle maneuvering to avoid the projectile.

In 1992 the National Transportation Safety Board (“NTSB Special investigation Report Medium/Heavy Truck Wheel Separations,” 1992, NTSB/SIR-92/04) estimated the incidence of wheel separations to be about 750 to 1050 per year on heavy trucks, but noted the figure may be low since wheel separations not causing damage or injury may go unreported. In wheel separations from heavy truck trailers, it is not uncommon for the driver to be unaware that a wheel has separated for several minutes or even hours after the event.

We have investigated dozens of wheel separations from passenger cars, light and heavy trucks, and trailers. In these incidents we have observed that vehicle control loss does not occur in front wheel separations or in wheel separations from trailers. Rear wheel separations, however, can lead to control loss and rollover, especially in SUV’s. Rollovers have led to occupant ejections and other serious injuries.
http://www.meaforensic.com/wheel-sep...-mea-forensic/
Not saying that this is what happened, but that it is somewhat of a risk after mounting tires. I had the same thing happen to me once, right front tire. Luckily, when the vibration started, I immediately stopped and checked. 4 of the lugs were finger loose.

Last edited by Mr A.Anderson; November 24th, 2013 at 08:38 AM.