View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2007 #10
Sean Martin

I discovered that the only place in the Eastern part of Kentucky that has a license to carry “Black Powder” is Borders. Everyone else can only carry pyrodex. Actual Black Powder is not worth the hassle. It will explode with static electricity and if you carry something next to your gun that will create static electricity Black Powder will cause the gun to fire. Black Powder and Pyrodex are not the same thing. If a gun store has one it doesn’t mean they can carry the other one.

Unless you are shooting something pre 1900 there should be no need to recalculate powder charges in a gun. If you are shooting a Rhoda, which was made in the 30’s it was still made for Black Powder. Of course if you are shooting a Rhoda, send me a pic I enjoy seeing guns with a barrel that is 1 inch in diameter. And the cases, primers and slugs have to be hand made.

I don't know anyone that uses actual black powder anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCross View Post
Current firearms are designed for 'smokeless powder" not black powder. To use black powder in a gun you need to do some calculations as smokeless powder is more powerful. Also be prepared to clean your gun more often as black powder fouls your weapon faster.

Black powder and smokeless powder are not the same. Just so the novices understand.

Black powder is mostly used in black powder rifles, muzzle loading