View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2010 #1
Darius Appleby
Banned

Location: high rainfall coastal strip of the White Continent nation
Arrow 16-year-old White Australian girl returns to Sydney sailing solo around the world

http://www.smh.com.au/national/crowd...ml?autostart=1

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...15/2900249.htm

Sydney gets ready to welcome Watson home

VIDEO: Jessica Watson almost home (ABC News)
MAP: Sydney 2000
RELATED STORY: Watson befitting of young Australian award: MP
RELATED STORY: Manager to shadow Watson on final stretch

Jessica Watson is nearing the finish line in her quest to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world.

A flotilla has gathered at Sydney Heads and thousands of spectators are on the harbour foreshore to herald the arrival of the 16-year-old from Queensland's Sunshine Coast.

Watson was expected to arrive at the Opera House about 11:30am (AEST) but has been delayed, battling six metre swells and rough conditions for the final leg of her journey.

The main sail on her yacht, Ella's Pink Lady, has been ripped so she is now making her way without it.

Her mentor and project manager Bruce Arms says this should not affect the rest of her journey.

"I think it's one she stitched up before," he said.

"It just looks a little bit see through but it all looks to be holding at the moment so it should be pretty good to the finish."

Mr Arms sailed beside Watson overnight and says she is going through her last preparations.

"She's very, very nervous at the moment and she's very, very excited," he said.

"We came across her about 8:00pm last night we had all our lights on and she had all her lights on and her face was just lit up with a big glow on it - it was just fantastic to see."

The latest news is that she will round the heads and cross the finish line within the hour but those details have been changing by the minute.

One spectator says reports Watson's attempt will not break official records do not matter to her.

"I don't think it puts a dampener on it from an Australian point of view," she said.

"I don't think any of us care about that."

Maritime authorities have created an exclusion zone around Watson's yacht as it approaches Sydney Heads, the finish line for her journey.

Customs will then board and stamp her passport and a helmsman will steer her boat through the harbour to a jetty at the Opera House where her family and manager waiting.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and New South Wales Premier Kristina Keneally will then welcome her home officially.

Epic journey

Watson set off on her round the world trip on October 17, 2009.

She was hoping to become the youngest person to ever sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.

However, it is unlikely Watson will hold the record after the officials from the UK-based World Speed Sailing Racing Council said she had not sailed far enough north of the equator.

The council says she will also not be recognised as the youngest person to sail around the world because it has discontinued the category.

But Watson has made it clear she is unfazed by the record debate.

"Call me immature but I've actually been having a bit of a giggle over the whole thing," she wrote in her blog.

"If I haven't been sailing around the world, then it beats me what I've been doing out here all this time!

"Yes it's a shame that my voyage won't be recognised by a few organisations because I'm under 18, but it really doesn't worry me."

Watson's journey has seen her sail almost 23,000 nautical miles, crossing the equator twice and rounding Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope.

Some of the most challenging conditions came when Watson was closer to home however, when wild storms plagued her during the final weeks of the trip in the Southern Ocean.

Wind gusts of up to 50 knots, 10-metre swells and lightning storms tested the young sailor and Watson said she could not relax despite being so close to the finish line.

"The last few days have been a bit tough (yes that's an upgrade from the usual interesting!), with strong headwinds, messy seas, lots of lightning and a few high drama moments," Watson wrote on her blog.

"With this weather keeping me on my toes, there's no way I'm relaxing in the slightest."

Watson's last three days at sea have seen less challenging conditions, but it has not been all smooth sailing.

The mainsail tear was caused earlier today by 30-knot winds as she sailed up the New South Wales south coast.

- ABC/AAP

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/

Jessica_Watson Jessica_Watson

Teen sailor Jessica Watson has spent seven months alone at sea aboard her yacht, Ella's Pink Lady. (AAP: Dean Lewins)

Last edited by Darius Appleby; May 27th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.