View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2007 #2
Sean Martin

Notice how Smith and Wesson didn’t make the list. I shot one once expecting some spectacular shotgun because after all it was an S&W. I was wrong, it had so many flaws there is no way I would trust my life to one. It wasn’t just the gun I was shooting either, the entire design had several flaws.

I was shooting a pump and where the Mossberg has 2 rails to work the action the S&W had only 1. It also had some serious design flaws that gave problems to feeding and locked up the action.

I later found out that S&W contracted the gun through New England Arms, CVA or one of those cheap gun companies.

If you ever want to buy a S&W shotgun, don’t. Go to Wal-mart and get a Mossberg for $189 and do some upgrades on it. Around here used Mossberg shotguns with plastic furniture go for about $99-120.

From my experience for the money Mossberg is the only way to go. There are slightly better shotguns out there but not worth 3 times what one would pay for a Mossberg.

I shot the Mossberg pump 9 shot defender series gun and it was smooth right out of the box. Most guns need broken in but this one shot flawlessly as fast as I could work the action without a single problem of any kind. I think I poured 300 rounds through the Mossberg in a single day and didn’t have a single jam, feeding problem or anything. Really I can't ask a gun to do any more than that.

As far as the Benelli goes why pay $800 for a gun when you can buy a Mossberg Defender for around $200 that will give you the same service and reliability? Take the left over $600 and buy and AK-47 and a 38 special pistol. It just seems ridiculous to dump that kind of money in a gun that isn’t going to serve any better than the cheaper guns. A few upgrades and we are looking at $1,200 for a shotgun, who would want to go into combat with a $1,200 shotgun. Combat guns are rugged, reliable and cheap and you don’t care to scratch them. I can get a nice 4-wheel drive pickup and a Mossberg for what a tricked out Benelli would cost.

One a side note the S&W shotgun felt and maneuvered great, as far as weight and just overall feel it had the Mossberg beat hands down. But the internal quality is what will save your life. It doesn’t matter how a gun looks and feels if you have to take 2 minutes to clear a jam or a part breaks when you need it the most.

Last edited by Sean Martin; October 25th, 2007 at 02:42 AM.