View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2010 #9
Darius Appleby
Banned

Location: high rainfall coastal strip of the White Continent nation
Arrow Bad start, but made it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_phosphorous View Post
I have to disagree with you all; I find this just plain stupid. Now whay\t, we get what we had in the US, where a 14 yr old girl was trying to fly across the country by herself until she flew right into a hill? So next we get a 15 yr old trying it? Let her sail with her dad, get her friggen degree, sail around the world when she's 21. If she's doing it for fun and not a media stunt, won't matter. Last thing we need is more young White girls in danger, as if the multicult assault isn't enough.
At the start of her trip 7 months ago I thought the same thing. On her first day she hit a container ship while she was asleep, damaging the boat forcing her to shore for repairs. If this is how it started, the end was not going to be pretty.

Although she has been blogging on her site I didn't follow this, and the first time people heard about her again was a couple of weeks ago when she approached Western Australia. By the time she approached the East Coast of Australia it seemed she was going to make it, and public sentiment changed to one of supportive welcome home.

Sky news and 2 of the 3 commercial television networks in Australia carried the entrance to Sydney Harbour live, and there has been widespread media coverage on all formats. I did see a brief mention of it on UK Sky, but I wouldn't be surprised if it received only a brief mention in the US. The US media tends to treat the US as being the only country on the planet, so Americans get a very distorted sense of their own importance in the world.

Jessica_Watson Jessica_Watson
There is a 15 year old US girl who has started the trip from Mexico and a 14 year old girl from the Netherlands who started the trip from Spain and these are underway right now. As all three girls are under the age of 18 they will not be recognised by the sailing body that makes the rules for these attempts.