View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2012 #25
Walter E. Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronza View Post
Technically speaking you are correct. But over here Roth Child is accepted. Just as we don't say Paree, we say Paris. And so on with other foreign place names.
Oh, yes, if it's one thing I've learned over the course of my life, it's the extent to which Americans not only wallow in, but pride themselves on their collective ignorance and arrogance.

ETA: Just read latest from "Fred on Everything":

"Little hope exists of a reversal any time soon, if ever. In 1850 those deficient in schooling knew their deficiencies, and wanted to learn. Today there is an actual preference for ignorance, which is regarded as authentic or democratic and morally superior to knowing anything, which would be elitist. In politics we see a vengeful delight that control of society passes to non-European minorities without interest in any culture but that of the streets. “He is street smart,” or sometimes just “He street smart” conveys approbation that once would have been expressed by “He is a man of taste and discrimination.” Once learning or even the desire for it has been lost, they do not readily return."

http://www.fredoneverything.net/Language.shtml

Last edited by Walter E. Kurtz; November 28th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.