View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2004 #13
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlwind
A.E.: All myths to me. Wotan (Odin, Oden) sacrificed an eye and was nailed to the tree of life for 9 days or thereabouts (correct me if that is not exactly accurate) in the quest for knowledge. Which he in turn gave to man. Martyrs have been martyrs for any number of reasons. Jesus died for our sins? That seems like a very clever way of portraying the pertinent facts. Kinda jewish.
If I had to pick one, I would choose the god that sacrificed to help me, not the one who's sacrifice makes me feel perpetually indebted.
I cannot believe a just god would allow what I see everyday.
hmmm interesting thoughts. Oden hung himself at Mimir's well for wisdom. When he came down he had the runes. The runes he engraved on Sleipnir, his spear. Wait a second. Is that his horse? What the heck did they call his spear? The spear of Longinus? J/k, that's what pierced Christ's side.

As Aristotle explained in the Nicomachean ethics, the noble and virtuous man is one who has abundance and gives not to gain but to share his abundance. Or so I recall. The giving evidences nobility. Eternal debt? That's a belly crawling Christoid's way of expressing it. I appreciate the notion of constant thankfullness for life and all of its opportunities, but feeling bad about your advantages is twisted.