View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2011 #19
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Unlike the latest paedophile book lolita is in virtually every public library and school in the nation.The argument in its favour seems to be that because nabakov was a pointy head than its fine and dandy.With every cunt on the planet from stanley kubrick,irons,melanie griffiths,sting lining up to defend it.It is my contention that nabakovs book and the subsequent conviction of strom at least in "movement" terms is the immediate danger.Look at the sex obsessed weirdos posting here deviants like charley horse and raving iron.According to frankfurt they see a cunt like strom lauding it they see it as enhancing their philosophy to read and emulate the blighter in the book. You cannot have it both ways nabakov advocates must be squashed like bugs they are as much scum as pete wheres the book townsend
An argument for the novel ''Lolita'' is that it has an ironic element. The author Nabokov was a Czarist White Russian exile, and only started writing in English after years writing in Russian, and moving from Europe to America. It may be that the relationship between the middle-aged literary college teacher and the somewhat forward and manipulative adolescent girl, represents something of the relationship between exiled Czarist Russians and 1950s American society. Nabokov refused to discuss this for some time, until in a positive interview he commented that it might be more an allegory for his own relationship with the English language. The first film, with James Mason did have an obscure almost satire element to it. I haven't seen the Jeremy Irons film, but it's maybe a straight perv version. I think the link to the Czarist 1950s bitterness has been forgotten. There may be a somewhat vicious comment at American wealthy naivety, and also defeated Czarist decadence, in the novel.