View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2005 #15
ThemeOfSadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadding
That's what I was thinking. But since you corrected her name to Liberto, it's apparent now that she was a so-called Hispanic, which opens a whole new can of worms, since the stigma attached to mixing with coloreds in the South somehow never extended to Hispanics, even though most of them (in the U.S.) have some Negro genes in their makeup. This is probably due in part to the fact that the straight, black hair of Injuns gets rid of nigger-wool after only two generations of mixing, eliminating one of the most conspicuous negroid features. It's possible that Johnny Cash didn't realize that he had married a colored woman.

If I am not mistaken the name Liberto would be Italian in origin not Hispanic. I am not sure where this woman was from that he married. WE can't assume that she was from the South just because Cash was. However it is clear that she is at least partly non-White. I also wish to correct myself for thinking that the genealogy link had anything to do with Indians. I feel she is probably comes from a a dark Italian family with possible Negro or Hispanic mixture.