View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2013 #17
varg

http://www.kfyrtv.com/story/23233995...mes-small-town

Video at link

Quote:
Leith is a small out of the way town in Grant County. With a population of just 19, it doesn't usually get much attention. But all that changed when this story was published in the Bismarck Tribune.

"It took me off guard that something like that was happening for two years, and (we) didn't know anything about it," says Randy LeBeau.

"My husband is part Native American," says Monica Lowry.

Monica Lowry lives about 30 miles south of Carson, and works at the town's gas station. But she and her husband are often in Leith, visiting the grain bins they own there.

"Everybody has a right to their beliefs but when it infringes on other people, that's not ok," says Lowry.

Craig Cobb, a known white supremacist who is wanted in Canada, began buying up property in Leith in September 2011. Since then, he's purchased a dozen lots, and sold two to two others with like-minded beliefs. That has residents like Sherrill Harper worried sick.

"The goal is to come in and take over, take over everything. And he was going to change the name of the town. He had plans for Adolph Hitler Park, Rudolph Hess Park or Rudolph Hess Bar or whatever nonsense," says Harper.

She moved to Leith five years ago to care for her aging parents.

"It's scary. It's really scary, considering the fact that my husband is black," says Harper.

Grant County Sheriff Steve Bay understands their concern.

"It's created an atmosphere people aren't used to. It bears watching, but at this point in time, I don't feel there's any imminent danger to anybody and any threat to anybody."

He and his three deputies have been patrolling the area more than ever since they first learned about Cobb's beliefs about three months ago.

"We have a lot of strange cars, strange people coming and going. They just need to report things that are unusual but trust our judgment on how to handle it," says Sheriff Bay.

Still, residents say, they just don't like the idea of a hate group next door.

"In this day and age we don't need to have feelings like that amongst people. It should be everybody's equal, regardless of skin color," says LeBeau.