View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2012 #40
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
Apparently you don't know how Wikipedia works, but it's very easy to rollback modifications. Due to the size of the site you can probably guarantee there are probably thousands of moderators and ordinary people monitoring the articles history page ready to undo anything you wasted your time in writing. Undoing your changes only takes 3 clicks and a few seconds to do. Once they're on your article all they have to do is go to History -> Compare -> Undo. If you keep making the same modifications mods would probably block you out from making any more changes.

I don't understand how this is a litmus test. You're talking about making changes to a site that has hundreds of thousands of people monitoring and modifying every article, thus making it difficult to sway readers towards WN even if you're being as subtle as possible.

It would be interesting to see if we could pull anything off though. Even on less obvious articles. The problem though, is that you have to advertise the article you're making modifications on to get any sort of support, and since anyone can view this forum they'd know which articles to watch and undo.

On a similar note: I've noticed not many WNs are tech savvy (probably due to the age demographics), and even then, they lack any interest in anything other than whining about "the good ole days" to the choir. I set up the E-Activism forum and it barely gets used. Hell, I even discovered a YouTube exploit early on (probably before anyone else online noticed) a few years ago that allowed us to vote our comments up to the top page, even on videos with millions of views, and only a few people decided to take advantage of it.

Fact is, most successful activism is carried out by younger people with less to lose. You don't reach young people by whining about jews from Happy Days and AARP coverage to a forum of already converted whites. You reach them by targeting them through the things that are relevant to them and not 50 year olds.
I see this as basically admitting defeat without any desire or effort to engage in a struggle with our opposition. So are we to just continue to sit on our hands and bitch and moan, or are we to engage in a struggle in an area where we can at least get our foot in the door?

Almost every example of WN activitism to date has backfired on us, making our cause a pariah in the eyes of the public.