View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2008 #14
ANSWP Commander
Banned

I actually just learned something else:

You can stop a power meter from recording usage by attaching to it a tiny magnet, smaller than a penny. Its called a Neodymium supermagnet:

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

They cost less than $20 for one that has 125 pounds of pull strength.

I'm really, really angry at the power company tongiht. I've sued them time and time and time again, and they just still keep fucking up. I spent an hour just calling them over and over to shout obscenities at whoever answered. It wasn't effective, but it was cathartic. Tomorrow, I'm having my attorney file an injunction and a lawsuit for their latest escapades.

I've also determined that if someone bought a crate of these magnets and attached them to power meters at random over the course of a city, they would cost the power company up to $600 - $800 a meter in damages per magnet in winter, probably half that in summer. That means 100 magnets could cost a power company almost three quarters of a million dollars in losses in about two months' time.

Imagine doing that with thousands of meters over an entire city. It would threaten to tank even one of the larger players -- and would be almost completely untraceable, if it was done at random and not for the benefit of any particular party -- and could probably be started for $10,000 - $20,000.

I don't know if anyone else hates American Electric Power as much as I do, but AEP has $12 billion in revenues and only $814 million a year in profits. If they had to give away seven to eight million dollars in electricity in just one city, it would noticeably drop their bottom line. If repeated by a hundred small actions, they could be forced into bankruptcy.

Just a thought, not a conspiracy.