Full Thread: Edgar Steele
View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2011 #2302
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Steele Sentenced to 50 Years

I predict that -JC will duplicate this post as soon as he finds it online.

It is strange that Steele claims to be a political prisoner yet is allowed an hour and 15 minutes to attack the judge and prosecutor. Where was all this fire when it would have done some good? This is further proof to my satisfaction that Steele went crazy from aorta surgery. He needs medical help not imprisonment.

This is the first mention that his motion for a new trial had been denied. Now his website will be begging for more money after $120,000 of his supporters money was squandered on an incompetent now disbarred lawyer. One small blessing of this mess is that Steele has surely come to hate lawyers by now.

Quote:
http://www.krem.com/news/local/Sente...133541268.html

Steele sentenced to 50 years, bizarre courtroom behavior from him and wife

by KREM.com & Katie Utehs
Associated Press
Posted on November 9, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Updated today at 6:21 PM

COEUR D'ALENE-- Federal prosecutors have sentenced a North Idaho attorney convicted of hiring a hit man to kill his wife and mother-in-law to 50 years in prison for the failed plot. Edgar Steele, 65, will also serve three years of supervised release and pay a total of $2,836.91 in restitution to the State of Idaho Military Division, Quik Lube, and Cyndi Steele.

In his sentencing hearing Wednesday, Steele told the court via a statement he was framed, and is a victim. Steele called the proposed sentence a death sentence. Steele even dared the judge to make it a 1,000 year sentence.

In court, Edgar and Cyndi accused FBI agents, the judge and prosecutors of lying and judicial misconduct. Both were aiming directly at assistant U.S. Attorney Traci Whelan.

After an hour and 15 minutes the judge made Steele conclude. Steele was defiant to the end saying “I refuse to recognize the authority of this court.” Cameras are not allowed in federal court but he said “I’m a political prisoner being persecuted for my views.”

His wife Cindi, whom he's accused of trying to kill, addressed the court as well. She supports her husband and blasted the court, lawyers, and FBI in a statement that continued for 30 minutes until a judge ordered her to stop. The judge also directed Cindi Steele to stop making personal attacks.

After the sentence came down Cyndi Steele begged to see the man who's convicted of trying to kill her. The U.S. Marshal's denied her request.
A jury convicted Steele in May of hiring his neighbor, Larry Fairfax, to kill his wife and mother-in-law.

In June of 2010, a pipe bomb was discovered under Cyndi Steele’s car by crews at an oil change shop before it could go off. Fairfax later confessed to the crime. Authorities say Fairfax acted as an informant for the FBI during Steele’s trial, and reached a plea bargain deal to serve only 27 months in prison.

The government's sentencing memorandum says Steele was heartless to plan the murder of his wife and depraved in manipulating a financially desperate neighbor to commit the crime.

Steele, of Sagle, Idaho, was also sentenced for using interstate commerce facilities in the commission of murder-for-hire, use of explosive material to commit a federal felony, possession of a destructive device in relation to a crime of violence, and tampering with a victim.

“Mr. Steele represents a clear danger to society and today's sentence ensures he will no longer pose a threat to our community and its residents,” said Supervisory Senior Resident Agent Don Robinson, supervisor of the Coeur d'Alene office of the FBI and the North Idaho Violent Crime Task Force.

Steele was already denied a request for a new trial. He says he'll now try to appeal. It’s unclear where Steele will serve his 50 year prison sentence.