View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2012 #22
steven clark

I can can pass on Elinor, but she had a good run. Also, curious that Aunt Bea had a New England accent. Like I said, everyone 'acted rural' but not necessarily southern. In the army, I had a Tarheel friend who made some very clear distinctions about North and South Carolina (to him, S, Carolinians were slow).

I remember some hotshot TV show where it had a black sheriff named Andy Taylor...a postmodern in-your-face sneer. They really can't let us alone.

I went to a writer's conference twelve years ago featuring one of the guys who was part of Briscoe Darling's 'boys.' He was pumping a book he wrote about southern humor, and said the set was always a lot of fun to be on, and Griffith was a great, down to earth guy to work with.

The guy was very sick, however, coughing and almost collapsing. He was expected to moderate the conference and obviously wasn't told about it. It got me angry. I know they needed a celebrity, but the poor man was sick.

Andy should have married Ellie and the show brought her back. That Ellen Crump was a real cold fish. Reminds me of the shrew my brother married.