Location: high rainfall coastal strip of the White Continent nation
Arrow I'm no hero, says humble Jessica

http://www.smh.com.au/national/im-no...0515-v54u.html

I'm no hero, says humble Jessica
GLENDA KWEK AND AAP
May 15, 2010 - 4:59PM
Click for more photos
JESSICA WATSON RETURNS

Jessica Watson coming through Sydney Heads after crossing the finish line. Photo: Dallas Kilponen

Solo teen sailor Jessica Watson says she's not a hero, but just "an ordinary girl who had a dream".

The 16-year-old was welcomed by thousands of cheering people at the Opera House and on a flotilla of boats crowding Sydney Harbour just before 3pm this afternoon after a 210-day round-the-world voyage.

"I'm completely overwhelmed. I just don't know what to think at the moment," she told Channel Ten as her yacht sailed into the harbour.

Jessica Watson coming through Sydney Heads. Photo: Dallas Kilponen

Wearing a broad grin and looking none the worse for her epic voyage, Jessica battled to answer questions from the Channel Ten commentators.

The Sydney Harbour was turned into a spectacular reception area, as hundreds of boats crammed into the narrow waters to greet the young adventurer on her small, pink yacht.

Fears that Watson would struggle to walk after such a long time at sea were unfounded, as she made her way up a pink carpet to the Opera House forecourt.

Greeted by the Prime Minister

She was greeted by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who hailed her as "Australia's newest hero".

"You do our nation proud," he said.

"You are a hero for young Australians ... and young Australian women."

But Watson said she had to disagree with Mr Rudd as "I don't consider myself a hero".

"I'm an ordinary girl who had a dream.

"You just have to have a dream and set your mind to it."

The Queenslander squealed, cried and waved as she saw her family for the first time in seven months on an adjacent boat.

"It's all a bit much but absolutely amazing," Watson said. "It's going to be strange to step off the boat."

Watson reflected on times when, as a girl growing up and learning about sailing, she had been overlooked because of her gender.

"As a little girl ... people don't think you're capable of these things. They don't realise what young people, what 16-year-olds, and what girls are capable of.

"It is amazing when you take away those expectations what you can do and what you can achieve.

Praise for overcoming knockers

NSW Premier Kristina Keneally has praised teenage sailor Jessica Watson for taking on risks and winning.

"There's so many of us who wonder if we can risk to do what we dream ... we get afraid of risks," Ms Keneally told the crowd at Sydney Harbour, welcoming the sailor home on Saturday.

"Jessica, you have won, you have won against fear and doubt."

Overcoming the "knockers and the doomsayers" showed dreams could come true, the premier said.

"You've truly captured the hearts of all Australians, and you've inspired them."

- with agencies

http://www.smh.com.au/national/im-no...0515-v54u.html

Last edited by Darius Appleby; May 27th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.