VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 27th, 2007 #1
OTPTT
Banned

Default She Might Still Be Alive Today If ...

she had been a Christian.

Take me to the river and drop me in the water
Dip me in the river, drop me in the water
Washing me down, washing me down.
-- Talking Heads

The Bible says this about idols:

As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. 1 Corinthians 8:4

Divers find no sign of missing northwest suburban woman

Police divers searched the Des Plaines River for more than six hours Wednesday for a missing northwest suburban woman who family members said may have gone to the river this week to reverently dispose of a broken Hindu idol.

A car belonging to Anu Solanki, 24, of unincorporated Des Plaines was found Monday in a forest preserve parking lot at Hintz Road and Milwaukee Avenue, near Wheeling.

Solanki had planned to place a broken statue of the god Ganesh into the river because she was told that was the proper way to dispose of the idol, said her husband, Dignesh, and other family members.

The search of the river and surrounding forest preserve property found no sign of Anu Solanki or the idol (), authorities said. Family members and friends plan to distribute leaflets with her photo Thursday, hoping to turn up someone who has seen her.

The statue of Ganesh was used in the couple's marriage ceremony in May in New Jersey and arrived broken when it was mailed to them recently, Dignesh Solanki said. The family's priest told the couple that it should be disposed of reverently rather than kept, he said.

Dignesh Solanki last saw his wife Monday morning when they left for work, said family friend Ketul Shah.

Anu Solanki called a close friend Monday afternoon after she finished working in the gift shop at the Westin Chicago North Shore hotel in Wheeling, said one of her cousins, Sanjay Patel of Chicago. Anu Solanki told the friend that some suspicious-looking people were watching her but called back soon after to say that she was all right and that she would be home soon, Patel said.

Family members said she never returned to the couple's home in the 9400 block of Meadow Lane in unincorporated Des Plaines.

Shah said that about 3 p.m. Monday, Dignesh Solanki, who manages a Chicago grocery, could not reach his wife on her cell phone. He called Shah, who, along with Dignesh Solanki's brother, drove around searching for the woman. They found her Honda Civic in the forest preserve between 3 and 4 p.m. Monday, Shah said.

A family member called police about 4 p.m. to report that the car had been found, said Steve Mayberry, a spokesman for the Cook County Forest Preserve District.

Relatives told police that the car was found with its door unlocked and the motor running, Mayberry said. They told authorities one of her purses and a laptop computer were missing. A second purse, which had some money in it, was still in the car.

On Wednesday, divers from the Wheeling Fire Department and other agencies used sonar to search the river about a mile south of where the car was found near Des Plaines River Dam No. 1, while officers in a forest preserve police boat searched 6 miles south, Mayberry said. Cook County sheriff's police used a helicopter and a canine unit in a search of nearby woods, he said.

The search was called off for the day about 3:30 p.m., Mayberry said. He said it was too early in the investigation to characterize Anu Solanki's disappearance as a missing persons case or accidental death.

Patel's wife, Seema, said family and friends have been waiting anxiously for information.

Last edited by OTPTT; December 27th, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Thread