Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 9th, 2007 #1
6KILLER
Banned

Location: Somewhere between lost & found traveling @ a high rate of speed.
Default AK-47 The White Man's Weapon

Products AK FLATS
· Flat Instructions
·
Rail Layout Jig · 5.45 & 7.62 Flats
· Bulgarian Sidefolder
· Polish Underfolder
· Polish Tantal Flats
· Yugo M92 Flats
· Metric Reamers

AK BUILD TOOLS
· Flat Bending Jig
·
Barrel Press Kit · Trigger Guard Jig
· Rivet Jig · Spot Welder Tong
· Trigger Guard Rivet Removal Fixture
RIVETS & PARTS
· Muzzle Attatchments
· Trigger Groups · AK-Build Rivets · Center Supports
· Gas Pistons & Rivets · Reinforcement Plates
Other Manufacturers
· TAPCO Items
· AZEX

Shopping Cart

Ordering Info · Payment Options
· Shipping Costs

Primary Weapon Systems Jtac-47 Muzzle Brake
This isn't just a copy of some other brake that's been adapted to fit on an AK47. PWS designed this as a serious muzzle device that is aimed at function more than just a US compliance part.
PWS designed compensator that not only lessens the recoil of your AK47, but does so without a significant increase in blast noise directed toward the shooter or individuals next to the shooter.
This compensator fits all standard AK 14/1 reverse thread.

$55.00 Each:
Trigger Guard Screw Plates $4.00
I just had another batch of these made up. These trigger guard screw plates are perfect for test assembly for rivet builds or final assembly for screw builds. No need to take small nuts and grind them down to try and make them fit.

$4.00 Each
:

AK-47 Tactical Extended Magazine Release $18.95
(description below taken from the manufacturer's website)
Strong and simple ambidextrous magazine release that really works! A natural evolution of the AK-47 magazine release. Similar mods have been seen from the sands of Iraq to Eastern Europe. Dramatically decreases magazine change times. Effective for competitive shooting or any circumstance that requires reduced magazine change time. Mag release comes with black phosphate finish, is pre-drilled, and is ready to attach to your existing magazine release. Unit comes complete with instructions that will have you dropping mags faster in no time!

$18.95 Each:

Login Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

http://www.vanguardnewsnetwork.com/2...42605AK-47.htm

Last edited by 6KILLER; August 9th, 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Old August 9th, 2007 #2
Sean Martin

Normally I would disagree with you since in some parts of Africa people can buy AK’s for as little as $50 dollars. But with the increased quality, decreased price and ability to function no matter what I would say the AK is an idea weapon.

You can literally hammer the barrel flat, then take a crude saw, cut the barrel off and the thing will still fire as long as you don’t damage the gas port. Even if you damaged the gas port you would have cycle the bolt each time but it would still fire.

A person can damage the barrel, break the pistol grip and trigger guard, completely smash the stock and fore grips, remove the upper part of the receiver and even cut parts of the lower receiver and the thing will still fire.

If there was one single gun I was going to trust with my life the AK-47 would be it.

BTW have you checked out www.tapco.com for AK parts? How about www.centerfirearms.com? They are selling AK parts kits (everything including the barrel except the receiver) for $50. Then you can buy the receiver from Tapco for $30. You have to have an FFL for the receiver or get someone with an FFL to order it, but you can order the parts kits and have them shipped right to your door with no more paperwork than you would fill out on a canteen.

Tapco has superior parts and some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

There is also somewhere online I have forgotten where that you can download the book on how to built the AK piece by piece from parts kits.

If you are going to buy parts, drop an extra 10% on tapco parts (sometimes Tapco parts are less than competitors) and you will never be disappointed. They will do just about anything it takes to make an order right, if something happens to your part and you don’t even have a receipt they will go out of their way to satisfy you and replace the part.

Last edited by Sean Martin; August 10th, 2007 at 04:14 AM.

Old August 10th, 2007 #3
6KILLER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean(doc)martin View Post
Normally I would disagree with you since in some parts of Africa people can buy AK’s for as little as $50 dollars. But with the increased quality, decreased price and ability to function no matter what I would say the AK is an idea weapon.

You can literally hammer the barrel flat, then take a crude saw, cut the barrel off and the thing will still fire as long as you don’t damage the gas port. Even if you damaged the gas port you would have cycle the bolt each time but it would still fire.

A person can damage the barrel, break the pistol grip and trigger guard, completely smash the stock and fore grips, remove the upper part of the receiver and even cut parts of the lower receiver and the thing will still fire.

If there was one single gun I was going to trust with my life the AK-47 would be it.

BTW have you checked out www.tapco.com for AK parts? How about www.centerfirearms.com? They are selling AK parts kits (everything including the barrel except the receiver) for $50. Then you can buy the receiver from Tapco for $30. You have to have an FFL for the receiver or get someone with an FFL to order it, but you can order the parts kits and have them shipped right to your door with no more paperwork than you would fill out on a canteen.

Tapco has superior parts and some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

There is also somewhere online I have forgotten where that you can download the book on how to built the AK piece by piece from parts kits.

If you are going to buy parts, drop an extra 10% on tapco parts (sometimes Tapco parts are less than competitors) and you will never be disappointed. They will do just about anything it takes to make an order right, if something happens to your part and you don’t even have a receipt they will go out of their way to satisfy you and replace the part.

Actually my favorite so called assault rifle is the FAL, but the AK offers the most bang for the buck, in my humble opinion. It can be a work in progress, and still be functional, like a Harley it's infinitely modifiable to suit the owners taste or lack thereof. Hardware for it is cheap and readily available. My favorite Battle rifle is the Swedish Ljungman AG-42B.

Old August 10th, 2007 #4
Sean Martin

FAL, Cetme, and the G3 all look alike and the parts are interchangeable. You can buy a Cetme parts kit (everything expect the receiver) for $100. G3 magazines are running around $2.00 each.

The sad thing about the FAL is it carries the advantages of the AR-15 but also the disadvantages. The advantages are easier magazine to operate, more accurate, larger accurate caliber .308. The disadvantages like the AR if the stock spring goes the gun is gone, limited magazine capacity, huge gun to lug around, not a lot of modifications to do to it.

Although it is always a good idea to have both weapons on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6KILLER View Post
Actually my favorite so called assault rifle is the FAL, but the AK offers the most bang for the buck, in my humble opinion. It can be a work in progress, and still be functional, like a Harley it's infinitely modifiable to suit the owners taste or lack thereof. Hardware for it is cheap and readily available. My favorite Battle rifle is the Swedish Ljungman AG-42B.

Old August 10th, 2007 #5
ngrh8r
Banned

Ever do an AK47 reciever build, SDM?
I've heard that it can be done with little more than a hacksaw, some files and a bench vise.

In fact, forget cost for a second:
What would be the absolute EASIEST reciever to build at home without milling equipment?

Last edited by ngrh8r; August 10th, 2007 at 10:15 AM.

Old August 10th, 2007 #6
6KILLER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrh8r View Post
Ever do an AK47 reciever build, SDM?
I've heard that it can be done with little more than a hacksaw, some files and a bench vise.

In fact, forget cost for a second:
What would be the absolute EASIEST reciever to build at home without milling equipment?
The absolute easiest is a Sten MK II.

Old August 11th, 2007 #7
ngrh8r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6KILLER View Post
The absolute easiest is a Sten MK II.

You could do that with a piece of galvanized pipe and a Dremel tool, right?

What's the situation like on parts kits?

Old August 11th, 2007 #8
6KILLER
Banned

Quote:

You could use galvanized pipe, however 4130 seamless tubing is available from aircraft suppliers (such as Aircraft Spruce) and more suitable. Glue your template to the tubing, drill the corners and ends of slots with an appropriate sized drill, then cut with an abrasive cut-off blade in the dremel between the drilled holes.

The kits are getting more difficult to get and more expensive, mags are still cheap though.

Old August 11th, 2007 #9
Sean Martin

I have a 1993 copy of the sportsmans guide where Sten parts kits could be purchased for $10.00 or $5.00 each if you bought 4. Now they are $99 after the new people took over the sportsmans guide.

Also yesterday I was talking to some people, and they said the Sportsmans guide is now owned by foreigners who hate Germany and plan on discontinuing all German products and replicas.

I know first hand they are now smart-alecky, and I won’t spend another penny of my money with them.

About the AK build up. You can buy the parts kits for as little as $50 but the average is around $99. The receiver costs $50 or a single stack receiver can be bought for $30. Those can be dremeled out easily to fit double stack magazines.

You can get the parts kits and receivers from www.centerfiresystems.com. Right now they shouldn’t be over $110 together. However to get the American compliance parts (rivets and screws) you have to order from www.tapco.com. They also sell flat receivers for $15, and they can be bent to fit with a press. Or can be used as a template to cut out receivers.

I have never built and AK, but would like to. I know a lot of people that have and the build up takes a minimal amount of tools and at the most 4 hours.

If you are going to do it, get a small shop hammer. Don’t use a regular hammer because you want to tap the rivets with a light tap and a small hammer. Trust me on that one.

Right now all the dollar marts here are selling the small ball hammers for $1.00. I paid a lot of money for a new hammer that broke the first couple taps. The dollar mart hammers have wooden stocks that can be repaired, so I bought about 6 of them.

Also you can download the Sten template online, I don’t know where but you can google it.

The Poor Mans James Bond by Kurt Saxon has a full size receiver template in it as well.

Quote:

Old August 11th, 2007 #10
Joe Snuffy

Sean,

Sorry to butt in here but what is this kit you are talking about? What is the reason for the price increase from 10 to 100? I am not very knowledgeable of gun stuff but am curious if this is a good business opportunity for a WN.

Old August 11th, 2007 #11
6KILLER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean(doc)martin View Post
I have a 1993 copy of the sportsmans guide where Sten parts kits could be purchased for $10.00 or $5.00 each if you bought 4. Now they are $99 after the new people took over the sportsmans guide.

Also yesterday I was talking to some people, and they said the Sportsmans guide is now owned by foreigners who hate Germany and plan on discontinuing all German products and replicas.

I know first hand they are now smart-alecky, and I won’t spend another penny of my money with them.

About the AK build up. You can buy the parts kits for as little as $50 but the average is around $99. The receiver costs $50 or a single stack receiver can be bought for $30. Those can be dremeled out easily to fit double stack magazines.

You can get the parts kits and receivers from www.centerfiresystems.com. Right now they shouldn’t be over $110 together. However to get the American compliance parts (rivets and screws) you have to order from www.tapco.com. They also sell flat receivers for $15, and they can be bent to fit with a press. Or can be used as a template to cut out receivers.

I have never built and AK, but would like to. I know a lot of people that have and the build up takes a minimal amount of tools and at the most 4 hours.

If you are going to do it, get a small shop hammer. Don’t use a regular hammer because you want to tap the rivets with a light tap and a small hammer. Trust me on that one.

Right now all the dollar marts here are selling the small ball hammers for $1.00. I paid a lot of money for a new hammer that broke the first couple taps. The dollar mart hammers have wooden stocks that can be repaired, so I bought about 6 of them.

Also you can download the Sten template online, I don’t know where but you can google it.

The Poor Mans James Bond by Kurt Saxon has a full size receiver template in it as well.
Doc,

The link I have for the STEN template is no longer good. As you've noted STEN kits have went up a 1000% in price over the last 10-12 years. It is however much easier to build than the AK-47. There are a few more tools needed to to build an AK-47, that are relatively expensive. Another thing with th AK, if the alignments aren't reasonably precise it will not function properly. One can build a STEN with a Dremel tool, a cordless drill, and a oxy-acetylene torch. The STEN was designed for simplicity and ease of manufacture, in latter years the Germans even built a version of the STEN.

Old August 11th, 2007 #12
6KILLER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
Sean,

Sorry to butt in here but what is this kit you are talking about? What is the reason for the price increase from 10 to 100? I am not very knowledgeable of gun stuff but am curious if this is a good business opportunity for a WN.
The kit is a de-militarized STEN that has had the receiver cut.

Old August 11th, 2007 #13
Sean Martin

To answer Joe, Stens are a limited supply weapon. As 6-Killer noted they are actually demilitarized parts. They had the receiver cut, which is no more than a pipe with notches cut in it.

To build a Sten is a federal Crime. I want to make that clear since it would be fully automatic.

The reason for the price increase is because it is a one time made thing. The only parts kits for them were made during WWII and that is it. Since they are not made any longer the more that are bought the less there are of them. When a gun product is cheap, people hoard them and drive the price up. I would say there is less than 5 % of the amount of demilitarized Stens on the market now than in 1993. They will only get more expensive.

Right now AK parts kits have doubled. 2 years ago you could get receivers for $10 each. Now they are $35 and up. The thing about AK parts is that they are still being made but are being stockpiled to the point that demand has overreached production.

Right now all the excess AK parts are going to gunrunners to fight wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are suffering from Peak AK-47 production. Most people who buy AK-parts kits purchase the entire inventory.

At Centerfire Systems (where I was yesterday) it is not uncommon for them to run a deal and the first person to come along to purchase the entire inventory.

They were selling They were selling 1888 bolt action rifles with pieces of the bolt missing for $7.00 each, no limit and no FFL required. Last month they had a similar deal for $8.00. Both were gone around the first day of advertisement.

Yesterday when I was there they had a list on the wall of things that were advertised and already out of stock because of limited supplies. They said they were stocking up on some things because when they advertise them if they have a couple thousand, it isn’t enough to fill the first couple orders.

I know a guy that bought a 6 foot tall 4 foot wide and 3 foot deep safe full of Vietnam AR-15 magazines. I asked him what he was going to do with them (new still in the wrap and never issued) and he said keep them in the safe and show them to his friends and say “see I got em”.

The gun world is the most notorious hording class of people I can imagine.

Where I live it is not a bit uncommon for 5 out of 10 homes to have 1,000 rounds of ammo on hand at any time. I know of many homes that have 10,000 or more rounds of just ak ammo bought back in the 90’s when it was $1.00 a box. Now it is $3.50 a box with a minimum purchase of 3,000 rounds. $4.50 a box average.

Old August 11th, 2007 #14
Sean Martin

I just did a search and can’t find one single reliable company still selling demilitarized Stens.

Used Romanian AK-47 Model 1975 GP Parts Kit
$139.97
Club Price $125.97
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=223005

Sten MK2
Dummy Receiver
Part #TUBSTENMK2

Price $24.99
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ind...OD&ProdID=1391

AK VZ-58 7.62x39
Parts Kit Folding Stock
Part #VZ58-FOLDING

Price $89.99

AK-47 FEG
Receiver
Part #AKAREC-FEG

Price $49.99

Romanian 7.62x54R
Replacement Parts Set
Part #KIT-MISC

Price $399.99

Dragunov Receiver with
Front and Rear Trunnion
Part #DRAGUNREC

Price $229.99
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ind...S&Category=341

If you build an AK you have to order your legal compliance parts here:
http://www.tapco.com/catalog.aspx?id=242

AK Receiver Flat & Rails w/No Trunion Holes
$12.99

Accepts single or double hook triggers
Constructed from 4130 carbon steel
1.05mm thick
Comes in a softened state...once formed it must be heat treated and hardened
All holes are pre-drilled to the correct sizes
No trunion holes
Will work with an AK47 or AK74
TAPCO Disclaimer:
Receiver flats that have been bent in any way could constitute as a firearm and are non-returnable. Please note that an individual can make their own firearm in the United States as long as they do not sell or distribute it. This is addressed on the BATF web site http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm. Once the simple bending is done, you may have a defined firearm and all local, state and federal laws will apply. Please verify your local and state laws before making the bends.

Last edited by Sean Martin; August 11th, 2007 at 11:23 PM.

Old August 11th, 2007 #15
Sean Martin

The Mighty Sten, all you need to know. It is a Federal Law to build one so don't do it.

Funny thing in one of the links the company bought Stens, chopped them up and sold them the next day.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/...structions.pdf

Template

STEN Mk 3 VERSIONS - (less than 50 sets left)
ST-103 Mk 3 STEN Para PARTS SETS w/ Pistol Grip
$238 set

http://www.aa-ok.com/othergun.htm

Old August 13th, 2007 #16
ngrh8r
Banned

Excellent, informative posts guys. Thanks.

SDM, your gun knowledge continues to amaze me. A good portion of the WN gun gurus are just doing cut-and-paste jobs without any real understanding.
You obviously know what you're talking about.

Old August 19th, 2007 #17
BANNISHEDWARRIOR
Fight the New World Order!

Here's a step-by-step AK47 build tutorial that you can down load as a PDF.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...uts1/index.asp

Some good suppliers:

www.dpharms.com

www.copesdist.com

www.tapco.com <<<<<<They have good receivers and rivet kits.

www.gunco.net <<<<<The best site on the net to learn how to build AK's (please use the search engine and library before post something like "How do I build an AK?" cause you'll get a smartass answer.)

www.gunthings.com <<<<<They have a rivet jig for $48 that makes it much easier to do the center rivet and the rear trunion rivets.

Here's a list of everything you will need to build AK's. If you and some friends can get together on this you can save some money.

12 ton press $75-$150 (depends on where you get it) Used to smash rivets and remove the barrel pin and barrel.

Receiver Jig $170 ( be carefull of the small guide pins. They can get smashed easy)

Home made rivet smasher $15 ( you make this from a set of bolt cutter by grinding or torch cutting a small section of the bolt cutter jaw. www.gunco.net has a section that shows how to make these. You may even find a pair for sale there)

Spot Welder $90-$150 ( you need this to weld the rails on to the inside of the receiver. Tongs will have to be modified but its not hard to do)

Rivet jig from www.gunthings.com is very useful for the rear and center rivets .

Pulley pullers to remove receiver from bending jig. ( DO NOT USE A HAMMER TO REMOVER RECEIVER. You will damage your jig.)

Here are some smaller cheaper tools you may already own:

Bench vice
Bench drill press
Ball pin hammer

Large vice grips

Dremmel with cutting bits

Grinder

Propane torch for heat treating( not as complicated as it sounds)

Set of punchs to remove pins.

Old screw driver to modify for barrel pin removal tool.(Use a pair of vice grips to hold this in place when using)

4 inch clamps (2-3)

PB Blaster penetrating liquid( It costs more then WD-40 but it works 10X better. Is great to soak the barrel pin area with about an hour or so before removal. Pin and barrel slide right out)

Rubbing Alcohol to clean receiver after heat treating.

A finish of your choice. I like parkerizing best. Its easy, if you can build an AK you can parkerize.

Im sure Im left something out so if you have any questions you can PM me.

****Legal Shit***
If you can buy an AK in a gun store in your state you can build one in your home. You CANNOT sell it or give it away.
If your friends want one tell them to chip in and make one while your making yours. Also, pay attention to the compliance parts. The alphabet agencies hate us as it is so don't give them a reason to put you in jail.

Thread