VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 9th, 2011 #1
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Default Crossbows

I've been considering buying a crossbow for when the day may come that firearm ammo may not be readily available. I've seen them range from $300 to $800.

Anyone have any expertise and/or experience with them? What to look for, what to avoid?

Old August 9th, 2011 #2
Fred O'Malley
Banned

I'm not that familiar, but I had one last year (it was stolen).

I have the HIP designation on my hunting license, so I can legally use one to hunt in October.

I bought one for around $500 and added enough extra gear, bolts, quiver, carry case, extra batteries, etc. that it all came to about $650.

Mine had a light weight aluminum frame, red dot scope and adjustable trigger weight. Of course, it was a compound with a draw weight of 185 lbs.

This link might help you decide which is best for you.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=crossbo...MOZSBR&pc=MOZI

Old August 9th, 2011 #3
ray bateson
baппed

New world arbalest makes reproduction crossbows in the old-world style, if that's your taste. But, whether you choose medieval or modern, a minimum draw-weight of 125lbs is advised for offensive bows.

http://www.crossbows.net/catalog.php

Old August 9th, 2011 #4
Fred O'Malley
Banned

This is the one I had, and I just found it at a better price than I paid at Academy Sporting Goods.

http://www.goodsatdeal.com/Reviews/P...ith-Scope.html

Old August 9th, 2011 #6
Fred O'Malley
Banned

I just ordered a new one, total cost was $403.

I'll pick up the extra gear I need locally.

I have about 4,000 acres of river bottom swampland adjacent to my camp, I'll be setting out Rye, Oats, Winter Wheat & Cow peas, with a 300 Lb. feeder in mid September, when I build my box stands. My license has six tags, and I won't have any trouble filling them. There are also feral hogs, turkeys and assorted small game there too.

I should get plenty of practice this year.

Old August 9th, 2011 #7
Zenos

I would get a bow instead, it has more range, more take down power, weighs less, and loading is much simpler than a crossbow where you need to cock it.

Old August 9th, 2011 #8
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenos View Post
I would get a bow instead, it has more range, more take down power, weighs less, and loading is much simpler than a crossbow where you need to cock it.
Crossbows are more similar to rifles than Bows.
Only force rules. Force is the first law - Adolf H. http://erectuswalksamongst.us/ http://tinyurl.com/cglnpdj Man has become great through struggle - Adolf H. http://tinyurl.com/mo92r4z Strength lies not in defense but in attack - Adolf H.

Old August 9th, 2011 #9
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Quote:
That depends on your intended use.

Many full grown men have trouble using a longbow and even more using a compound. I am very familiar with those.

A compound bow, using 23" aluminum shafts will out perform a crossbow using 16" bolts, because the longer shafts provide better aerodynamics.

It takes someone in good physical condition to use 65 lb recurve or compound and the finger tips really take a beating, as well as the left forearm. Yes, there is gear to help with that problem, but it is far better if you can get used to shooting without that stuff; you get much better accuracy if you can feel the shot.

Old August 9th, 2011 #10
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Quote:
Crossbows are more similar to rifles than Bows.
I just can't hit anything using a bow. I've tried. I'm thinking of something to replace a rifle if need be -- only at shorter range.

Old August 9th, 2011 #12
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred O'Malley View Post
That depends on your intended use.

Many full grown men have trouble using a longbow and even more using a compound. I am very familiar with those.

A compound bow, using 23" aluminum shafts will out perform a crossbow using 16" bolts, because the longer shafts provide better aerodynamics.

It takes someone in good physical condition to use 65 lb recurve or compound and the finger tips really take a beating, as well as the left forearm. Yes, there is gear to help with that problem, but it is far better if you can get used to shooting without that stuff; you get much better accuracy if you can feel the shot.
Not with these crossbows.

Only force rules. Force is the first law - Adolf H. http://erectuswalksamongst.us/ http://tinyurl.com/cglnpdj Man has become great through struggle - Adolf H. http://tinyurl.com/mo92r4z Strength lies not in defense but in attack - Adolf H.

Old August 9th, 2011 #13
Mr. Bowmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
I've been considering buying a crossbow for when the day may come that firearm ammo may not be readily available. I've seen them range from $300 to $800.

Anyone have any expertise and/or experience with them? What to look for, what to avoid?
Advice from someone who's shot crossbows before:

Don't buy expensive, get a mid range. Cheap ones suck, and expensive ones are not much better than mid range ones.

Buy good bolts, don't cheap out on bolts.

If you're going to use a scope, get a good one. For these you definitely get what you pay for.

Edit: I don't know a lot about AR15 upper crossbows, i heard they were good but you have to test it out yourself.

Last edited by Mr. Bowmont; August 9th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.

Old August 9th, 2011 #14
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Old August 9th, 2011 #15
Fred O'Malley
Banned

I gotta get me some of these.

Old August 10th, 2011 #16
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Firenock home page: http://www.firenock.com/index.php?page=index#

Firenock install video: http://www.firenock.com/main.php?page=install

Old August 10th, 2011 #17
Leonidas
Banned

How these idiots firing arrows out of their bows into all those beautiful wild animals isn't classified as animal cruelty is beyond me. There is no need to wound and torment these animals, go buy some food that was raised to be food at the supermarket. Raise your own animals for food, that is how civilized human beings do it.

If I went out and stabbed a wild animal and left it to run off and die and blood over two weeks, I could be prosecuted for animal cruelty, but these people run around shooting arrows into all those magnificent, rare creatures and they think it's fun to watch them jump and writhe in pain.

I guess it's better than dying of cancer, though. You know, eating meat is what causes colon cancer, that is an established fact, so I guess the animals have the last laugh, although they don't consciously enjoy your pain and suffering, the way those hunters enjoy watching those animals in pain.

Can you imagine, some intelligent, alien entity, giving you cancer, and being excited by watching you die from it? Whatever your definition of 'demonic' is, I think every sane person would agree, that is the most evil thing that can exist in a person's heart.

Old August 10th, 2011 #18
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
How these idiots firing arrows out of their bows into all those beautiful wild animals isn't classified as animal cruelty is beyond me. There is no need to wound and torment these animals, go buy some food that was raised to be food at the supermarket. Raise your own animals for food, that is how civilized human beings do it.

If I went out and stabbed a wild animal and left it to run off and die and blood over two weeks, I could be prosecuted for animal cruelty, but these people run around shooting arrows into all those magnificent, rare creatures and they think it's fun to watch them jump and writhe in pain.

I guess it's better than dying of cancer, though. You know, eating meat is what causes colon cancer, that is an established fact, so I guess the animals have the last laugh, although they don't consciously enjoy your pain and suffering, the way those hunters enjoy watching those animals in pain.

Can you imagine, some intelligent, alien entity, giving you cancer, and being excited by watching you die from it? Whatever your definition of 'demonic' is, I think every sane person would agree, that is the most evil thing that can exist in a person's heart.
First, those animals are raised & protected by the states, for hunters' use.

If you leave the deer herd alone, very soon you wouldn't have any deer, due to having an infected herd. What do you think pays for the programs which produce such healthy animals. License fees and hunters/conservationists.

These animals are for our consumption, only city dwellers would lose sight of that fact. When you live in the country, you kill what you eat, many's the time. When they eat from your fields, they are just like your cattle.

Old August 10th, 2011 #19
Leonidas
Banned

The reason that Jews mark meat as being Kosher is because they want to know it was slaughtered with an extremely sharp knife, that caused the animal no pain. Have you been sliced with a razor sharp knife, you know how you feel no pain at first?

You cannot tell me for sure that a single animal in that video, shot with that bow and arrow was ever recovered by the hunter. These bow hunters shoot animals that run off and they never find them, or they chase them for hours, or days, while the arrow twists and grinds inside their guts. It seems like a cruel way to kill an animal.

Old August 10th, 2011 #20
Arrow of Aquila

Quote:
I would not make it a compound bow, though. Those things are always in need of some sort of maintenance, and take an eternity to cycle compared to a traditional recurve or LB. And, they're relatively delicate (you won't hit a thing if you bump your sight out of position, etc.) My traditional hunting recurve (Martin X-200) has never needed to be sent away for any reason, and all she needs is wax on the string and an occasional replacement of the leather strip on the shelf. And get Byron Ferguson's book, Become the Arrow, and do everything he does (except hook 3-under instead of split).

Thread