VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 13th, 2013 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Dead-Pigging of Huangpu Creates Mass Consternation

BEIJING -- Authorities recovered hundreds more dead pigs from a river that provides drinking water to Shanghai, China's financial hub, bringing the total to more than 6,600 since last Friday.

Pictures of swollen and rotting carcasses in the Huangpu river have worried many residents, but officials say the water supply remains safe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2867063.html

Old March 13th, 2013 #2
N.B. Forrest

The chinks may be treacherous spies & patent/copyright thieves, but you've gotta give them one thing: they're immaculately clean.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old March 13th, 2013 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
The chinks may be treacherous spies & patent/copyright thieves, but you've gotta give them one thing: they're immaculately clean.

I like to think they were trying to cleanse the noble trickle of all foul muslim and jewish toxins.

Old March 13th, 2013 #4
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

This reminds me of the Rwandan civil war, just fewer cadavers.

Old March 13th, 2013 #5
DonLovesYou
Banned

I think they had to destroy even more livestock than this in Britain, when the hoof and mouth disease hit.

Old March 13th, 2013 #6
MikeQuigley
Banned

The water's just fine folks, nothing to worry about.

Old March 13th, 2013 #7
M.N. Dalvez

This is one of many reasons why people in cities of ANY size in China DON'T drink the tap-water. Under any circumstances!

Everyone either boils the water 4 or 5 times before they drink it, or they just buy those big bottles of water that in Western countries are only ever found in 'the office', but in China are found in every home as well. Water purification would have to be one of China's biggest industries.

This is also why tea is so popular in China - drinking boiled/purified water all the time is actually really quite bad for you. So everyone goes around with those big flasks of green tea - office workers, construction workers, pretty much everyone.

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; March 13th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Old March 13th, 2013 #8
MikeQuigley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N. Dalvez View Post
This is one of many reasons why people in cities of ANY size in China DON'T drink the tap-water. Under any circumstances!

Everyone either boils the water 4 or 5 times before they drink it, or they just buy those big bottles of water that in Western countries are only ever found in 'the office', but in China are found in every home as well. Water purification would have to be one of China's biggest industries.

This is also why tea is so popular in China - drinking boiled/purified water all the time is actually really quite bad for you. So everyone goes around with those big flasks of green tea - office workers, construction workers, pretty much everyone.
I'm sorry I don't understand, what's wrong with drinking boiled/purified water?

Old March 13th, 2013 #9
brutus

Quote:
diseased swine
I know some other 'diseased swine' that need to be dumped somewhere.

Old March 14th, 2013 #10
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't understand, what's wrong with drinking boiled/purified water?
I said all the time. Exclusively. Nothing but.

You do know what osmosis is, right?

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; March 14th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.

Old March 14th, 2013 #11
MikeQuigley
Banned

Quote:
I said all the time. Exclusively. Nothing but.

You do know what osmosis is, right?
Osmosis Osmosis
not really

Old March 14th, 2013 #13
John from Canada
Banned

I liked the pictures of the chinese men smoking cigarettes while they picked up the dead pigs. Reminds me of a French Canadian guy I knew who'd take off his asbestos respirator to have a cigarette.

Old March 15th, 2013 #14
M.N. Dalvez

Say you've got two spaces, A and B, which are separated by a membrane which water can (slowly) go through (it's semi-permeable).

A contains some water you've drunk, water which has been boiled a few times, so it doesn't have any of the other minerals and stuff that water contains in it.

B contains your body's water, which has a greater concentration of salts and other minerals. This water is (in some sense) found in every part of your body.

The concentration of salts and other minerals in A and B, because of the permeable membrane seperating them, they will tend to reach equilibrium - the stuff that is A will be shared with B, and vice versa.

That's how (for example) water flouridation works, how the flouride gets into your teeth.

So drinking nothing but boiled/purified water for extended periods leeches vital nutrients from your body. It's better than having no clean water to drink, but it's not the best thing for you.

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; March 15th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.

Old March 15th, 2013 #15
MikeQuigley
Banned

Quote:
Say you've got two spaces, A and B, which are separated by a membrane which water can (slowly) go through (it's semi-permeable).

A contains some water you've drunk, water which has been boiled a few times, so it doesn't have any of the other minerals and stuff that water contains in it.

B contains your body's water, which has a greater concentration of salts and other minerals. This water is (in some sense) found in every part of your body.

The concentration of salts and other minerals in A and B, because of the permeable membrane seperating them, they will tend to reach equilibrium - the stuff that is A will be shared with B, and vice versa.

That's how (for example) water flouridation works, how the flouride gets into your teeth.

So drinking nothing but boiled/purified water for extended periods leeches vital nutrients from your body. It's better than having no clean water to drink, but it's not the best thing for you.
OK thanks for the info.

Thread