Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 10th, 2013 #1
Bev
drinking tea

Default Judge's anger as money is wasted on interpreters who can't even speak English

Quote:
A judge and a top barrister have condemned the use of interpreters based in a Polish call centre after trial against a Vietnamese drug king was halted.

Judge Richard Bray accused the firm of being 'hopelessly incompetent' when he was unable to sentence the man because no interpreter arrived at Northampton Crown Court.

Some of the language experts supplied by Capita Translating and Interpreting from a base in Krakow, cannot even speak fluent English, claim lawyers.

Interpreters are used by the Ministry of Justice to help run court cases and deportations involving foreign criminals, but trials are collapsing and case delayed because of problems with the system.

Capita staff book them under under a deal that is 'wrecking justice', claims QC Michael Turner.

He told the Sunday Express: 'This is merely one example of where the government pretends it's saving money, but in reality it is not.

'It is wrecking the system and screw-ups are now endemic. It is a con on the taxpayer and a con on the victims of crime.

''Interpreters do not turn up or when they do turn up they do not speak the right language or they do not speak English.'

He claimed top translators will not work for Capita because of its low pay.

In 2011, a five-year contract worth £90 million was awarded to Applied Language Solutions where it was alleged a dog was put on the company's register and a cat was invited to an interview because it was 'an expert' in 'cat language.'

ALS was taken over by Capita later that year and uses the Krakow centre to find interpreters for UK courts.

A Capita spokesman said its interpreters were properly qualified and vetted.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...drug-king.html

I know this is a major problem, but I have to laugh at the bolded bit. Why the f*** do they need cats and dogs? Maybe it's to corroborate the claims of those that insist having a cat means they have a "family life" in Britain and win?

Old March 10th, 2013 #2
Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
I know this is a major problem, but I have to laugh at the bolded bit. Why the f*** do they need cats and dogs? Maybe it's to corroborate the claims of those that insist having a cat means they have a "family life" in Britain and win?
Some people claim that during the Napoleonic War a monkey was tried and hanged in Hartlepool....fuck me we've gone soft!

They knew how to deal with foreign blighters in those days

Old March 10th, 2013 #3
dunotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
Some people claim that during the Napoleonic War a monkey was tried and hanged in Hartlepool....fuck me we've gone soft!

They knew how to deal with foreign blighters in those days

Old March 10th, 2013 #4
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post

It is yet another example of Carlyle's "Discourse on the niggers" if there were no foreign language speakers then interpreters would not be required.Foreign nationals should have interpreters provided by their embassies of national origin.Yet in British courts and Police stations we have thousands of interpreters including for those born and educated here who claim ignorance it has for decades been a scandal.It is another ever continuing increasing cost that one wonders why the state just does not ban it and see what the consequences are.

Chase them into the swamps

Thread