VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 18th, 2007 #1
6KILLER
Banned

Location: Somewhere between lost & found traveling @ a high rate of speed.
Default Homeless Family Living in Woods

Homeless Family Living in Woods
Oct 17, 2007 06:50 PM
Reporter: Nisha Gutierrez

Courtesy KPVI
Two of the children found living in a series of tens in the woods south of Pocatello

The cost of opening a new business has left three adults and 14 children from Pocatello homeless and living in tents in the woods for the past three weeks. With the cold weather, this hardship is about to get worse for the two families living in tents in the Mink Creek area.
James Armstrong, father: "Well, we're actually living an emergency. We're up in the canyon trying to take care of ourselves."
James Armstrong's family was forced to move out of their home and into the woods after he opened an emergency supply business in town.
James Armstrong, father: "I couldn't get any funding for this and it put me in a bind, so I had to move out of a house I was renting."
Armstrong now spends the days working at his store, but then heads back to the campsite at night to be with his 10 children - and another family with five children that he is helping take care of with the help of his wife and oldest daughter Rachel.
Rachel Armstrong, daughter: "Put all your layers on - put all that on before you get out or else you're gonna get really cold."
Armstrong says the kids are adjusting to the cold weather. He says they have plenty of supplies, blankets, and food that was prepared before they left their home.
But while they have already endured two snowstorms and two rainstorms, Armstrong hopes they find a permanent place to live before it snows and gets too cold for the younger children.
James Armstrong, father :"Shelter - permanent shelter - is where we have the problem. You know, rent for 10 to 14 kids and a family is rather high, and being a start-up business, I can't afford $1200 a month rent."
Armstrong also said that all the kids are being home-schooled and have been for several years. He says he spoke with SEICAA Wednesday and they hope to have the two families moved into a trailer by the end of the week.
If you can help these families in any way, you can call the Southeastern Idaho Community Action Agency at (208) 234-0966.

http://www.kidk.com/news/local/10619382.html

http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/idaho/...183195036.html

Thread