VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 14th, 2009 #1
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Default Country Wine -- We're Making a Batch

Damn the Baptists and the prohibitionists both. We (my paw-in-law and I) are making a big ole 25 gallon batch of country wine:

We do nearly every year. Retired, he goes around and shops for grapes and strawberries that grocery stores are about to throw away. Cantaloupes, strawberries, peaches, watermelon -- whatever they are about to get rid of, he buys it for pennies and brings it home and puts it into a homemade press and makes it into juice.

We put it into a 5 gallon carboys with a lot of sugar and yeast and let it sit for about a month. Then we filter it through some coffee filters and let it sit another couple of weeks. Then funnel it into bottles and cork them.

Country wine is not crystal clear like store-bought wine is. It's cloudy and it may have some pulp in it, but God, it's good. A big ol' pot of venison stew and a bottle or three of country wine. That's living high, right there.

I'll post some pics as the process moves along.

Last edited by Marse Supial; August 15th, 2009 at 09:32 AM.

Old August 14th, 2009 #2
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Geeze! 25 gallons! So what are you going to drink the second week, General Lee?

Mike

Enjoy! If that is a real picture of your wine, I can see the excellent quality, from here.

Old August 14th, 2009 #3
BryanVP
Seņor Member

I've been reading some about homemade wine. I decided to start with a simple recipe, which is about the same as apple cider 'cept grape juice is used instead of apple juice. While I was browsing for easy to learn starter recipes, I found this gem. I wonder if it's easy enough for a negro to figure out?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Kool-Aid-Wine

I will admit, I am half-tempted to try this.

PS. Nothing beats wine with any sort of venison... Or venison with any sort of wine. Depending on how you look at it.

Old August 14th, 2009 #4
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
Country wine is not crystal clear like store-bought wine is. It's couldy and it may have some pulp in it, but God, it's good. A big ol' pot of venison stew and a bottle or three of country wine. That's living high, right there.

I'll post some pics as the process moves along.
I'd like to see some pics and maybe an explanation of the process. That would be interesting General.

By the way, when I was in Saudi Arabia a roommate had made some homemade alcohol which of course is forbidden over there. I almost got my ass kicked for joking about the jerrycans in his room that he used to make it in during my orientation. I really didn't realize how inappropriate such a comment was at that time. His dad was some sort of diplomat as I remember.

Last edited by OTPTT; August 15th, 2009 at 10:12 AM.

Old August 15th, 2009 #5
Kievsky

Great stuff, General! I mess around with homebrewing too, though I am getting a wood burning rocket stove so I can do it outside. Whenever I do homebrewing inside on the kitchen stove the wimminz get real naggy. here's whAT I'm getting so I can have an outside kitchen:

Old August 15th, 2009 #6
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
Geeze! 25 gallons! So what are you going to drink the second week, General Lee?

Mike

Enjoy! If that is a real picture of your wine, I can see the excellent quality, from here.
Well 25 gallons is not as much as it sounds like. We always put the pulp in with the juice on the first fermentation. After you strain the pulp out, you end up with about a quarter of the amount you started with.

Then, after the second fermentation, you have wine. You could rig a small still on your kitchen stove and distill that wine into brandy. We never do that, however, because ZOG has made it completely illegal to distill alcohol, even for personal consumpton. So we don't do that. But if we did, we would end up with some real nice brandy that beats any of the store-bought stuff.

Old August 15th, 2009 #7
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
You could rig a small still on your kitchen stove and distill that wine into brandy. We never do that, however, because ZOG has made it completely illegal to distill alcohol, even for personal consumpton. So we don't do that. But if we did, we would end up with some real nice brandy that beats any of the store-bought stuff.
Could I use my water distiller for this process?

Old August 15th, 2009 #8
George Witzgall

kievsky, looks like you're set-up to do some moonshinin'. not that you would ever do that.

Old August 15th, 2009 #9
Kievsky

Hey Tony,

That looks like the WaterWise non-electric water distiller I recommended to you! That's great you got it. Get yourself a Berkey water filter and a rocket stove now, and you'll be all set.

George -- I don't do anything illegal ever, at least not intentionally. I don't even spit on the sidewalk. I am boycotting the criminal justice system, and hopefully I'll manage to continue this boycott for my whole life.

Old August 15th, 2009 #10
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
That looks like the WaterWise non-electric water distiller I recommended to you! That's great you got it. Get yourself a Berkey water filter and a rocket stove now, and you'll be all set.
I picked up a water distiller and a food dehydrator. I've got to get busy with the dehydrator and put some food up. I'll look into the Berky water filter.

Rocket stove, eh? Looks interesting. You truly are a fount of useful knowledge Kievsky!

Last edited by OTPTT; August 15th, 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Old August 15th, 2009 #11
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
Could I use my water distiller for this process?
I don't know. I've never seen anything like that, OT. How does that thing work?

I have never had a still to condense wine into brandy. But if I did, it would only consist of a big huge stock pot with a coil coming out the top to condense the steam. You are asking me things I know nothing about.

You've been to my deer camp. Did you see a still?

OK then.

Old August 15th, 2009 #12
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
Great stuff, General! I mess around with homebrewing too, though I am getting a wood burning rocket stove so I can do it outside. Whenever I do homebrewing inside on the kitchen stove the wimminz get real naggy. here's whAT I'm getting so I can have an outside kitchen:

Hey, what is that thing?

Old August 15th, 2009 #13
Kievsky

Quote:
Hey, what is that thing?
Better get one General. Doom is coming. You'll need it. Traditionally, rocket stoves were built for Turd Worlders. Well, considering we are on the express train to Third World status, we better get this Peace Corps type technology for our own use ASAP.

Thread