Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 25th, 2011 #1
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Default Is a Polar Shift Responsible for the Weird Weather?

I've been mulling this over, and think there might be merit to the argument for Polar Shift. I could use some help researching it, since the government would certainly never allow news of it to leak out, being bad for business and the public hysteria it would cause.

Quote:
This event is known as a polar shift, and these have occurred regularly in human history -- every 3,657 years, to be precise. This site will point to other sources that explain the ramifications of a polar shift with sobering detail, but for now, let's just say that few of us are prepared to survive such a calamity.
http://www.nepanewsletter.com/polar.html

Quote:
"The earth will be broken up in the western portion of America," Cayce forecast. "The greater portion of Japan must go into the sea. The upper portion of Europe will be changed as in the twinkling of an eye. Land will appear off the east coast of America. There will be the upheavals in the Arctic and in the Antarctic that will make for the eruption of volcanoes in the torrid areas, and there will be the shifting then of the poles — so that where there has been those of a frigid or the semi-tropical will become the more tropical, and moss and fern will grow." In subsequent visions, Cayce predicted that the pole-shifting cataclysm would destroy the cities of New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco, and that the process would begin in 2000 or 2001.

What may make Cayce's vision of a cataclysmic pole shift even more alluring is that it evokes — albeit, in hyperbolic fashion — a genuine geophysical controversy. Since at least the mid 19th century, a succession of scientific thinkers have raised the possibility that the Earth's mantle and crust might sometimes slip dramatically, which could leave a place like New York much closer to the North Pole than usual. Such a phenomenon, which scientists call true polar wander, has the potential to shift the Earth's face so radically that once-frigid Alaska could sit at the sweltering equator.

SEE THE VIDEO

Read more: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...#ixzz1C3sjU5In

Old January 25th, 2011 #2
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Princeton Study

"The sediments we have recovered from Norway offer the first good evidence that a true polar wander event happened about 800 million years ago," said Maloof, an assistant professor of geosciences. "If we can find good corroborating evidence from other parts of the world as well, we will have a very good idea that our planet is capable of this sort of dramatic change."

Abstract

We present new paleomagnetic data from three Middle Neoproterozoic carbonate units of East Svalbard, Norway. The paleomagnetic record is gleaned from 50 to 650 m of continuous, platformal carbonate sediment, is reproduced at three locations distributed over >100 km on a single craton, and scores a 5–6 (out of 7) on the Van der Voo (1990) reliability scale. Two >50° shifts in paleomagnetic direction are coincident with equally abrupt shifts in delta-Carbon 13 and transient changes in relative sea level. We explore four possible explanations for these coincidental changes: rapid plate tectonic rotation during depositional hiatus, magnetic excursions, nongeocentric axial-dipole fields, and true polar wander. We conclude that the observations are explained most readily by rapid shifts in paleogeography associated with a pair of true polar wander events. Future work in sediments of equivalent age from other basins can test directly the true polar wander hypothesis because this type of event would affect every continent in a predictable manner, depending on the continent’s changing position relative to Earth’s spin axis.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a...n=newsreleases

Last edited by Fred O'Malley; January 25th, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Old January 25th, 2011 #3
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Polar shift: Melting ice, quakes and higher seas

Greenland and Antarctica are seeing faster than expected warming that triggers glacial quakes and has the potential for a sharp rise in sea levels, according to three peer-reviewed studies published Thursday.

Warming temperatures are causing glaciers the size of Manhattan to trigger quakes, and computer models indicate that by 2100 the poles could be as warm as they were 129,000 years ago — when melting ice sheets caused sea levels to rise up to 20 feet (6 meters) higher than today.

The studies didn’t predict how much sea levels might rise by 2100, but the work shows warming at a faster rate than estimated by the U.N. climate body, which expects up to a 34-inch (88-centimeter) rise by 2100.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11975255...d_environment/

Old January 25th, 2011 #4
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred O'Malley View Post
Polar shift: Melting ice, quakes and higher seas

Greenland and Antarctica are seeing faster than expected warming that triggers glacial quakes and has the potential for a sharp rise in sea levels, according to three peer-reviewed studies published Thursday.

Warming temperatures are causing glaciers the size of Manhattan to trigger quakes, and computer models indicate that by 2100 the poles could be as warm as they were 129,000 years ago — when melting ice sheets caused sea levels to rise up to 20 feet (6 meters) higher than today.

The studies didn’t predict how much sea levels might rise by 2100, but the work shows warming at a faster rate than estimated by the U.N. climate body, which expects up to a 34-inch (88-centimeter) rise by 2100.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11975255...d_environment/
Nothing in this article refers to the magnetic poles of the earth "shifting."

Old January 25th, 2011 #5
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Fred,

Do you suspect that the use of a penis for an arrow was a conscious or unconscious choice of the illustrator?

Old January 25th, 2011 #6
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Leave it to (Beaver) Leonard!

Old January 25th, 2011 #7
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
Nothing in this article refers to the magnetic poles of the earth "shifting."
It was only posted to show a correlation between today's events and the premises of the thread. "Polar Wander" could be the cause of those effects. Far be it from MSNBC to delve into the justification for the changes, unless they support the hoax of global warming.

Old January 25th, 2011 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

Pure crank shit.

"The earth will be broken up in the western portion of America," Cayce forecast. "The greater portion of Japan must go into the sea. The upper portion of Europe will be changed as in the twinkling of an eye. Land will appear off the east coast of America.

Anyone with a scintilla of discernment can tell from this snip that the theory in question is crank, and the propagators pitching it for some financial reason. Selling end times to morons is an ever-popular way to make money.

Old January 25th, 2011 #9
Fred Streed
Holy Order of Cosmonauts

Now we have this:

http://www.naturalnews.com/030996_bi...ole_shift.html

The magnetic poles are shifting (nothing new there, goes on continually), somehow causing poisonous space clouds full of Hydrogen Cyanide to enter the lower atmosphere, killing birds. The concern is that these clouds could reach the ground and gas entire cities, such as Brooklyn or Miami, or even Tel Aviv. The ADL is said to be watching these developments very closely and are preparing a statement condemning this menace. They have also asked the Obama administration for 6 billion in funds to conduct more studies and have called for the arrests of those responsible.

Old January 25th, 2011 #10
Hugo Böse
Jeunesse Dorée

It is true that the magnetic poles move, which means that magnetic North is not exactly the same as geographic north, I vaguely remember reading something about the basalt in the ocean floor being positive and negative in bands according to how the magnetic poles were oriented when the lava cooled, but I’m not entirely sure whether that really meant that the magnetic poles totally switched north to south.

The idea that the crust can move in one large catastrophic lurch is utter nonsense, the movement of the magnetic poles is affected by something going on in the metallic core at the centre of the earth, continents move by centimetres per year, eventually it could happen that Australia for instance would drift to the Northern hemisphere and North America drifts towards the equator but these things take tens and hundreds of millions of years.

Old January 25th, 2011 #11
MDK

http://shibarandas.com/wp-content/up...earth_axis.jpg

From what i've read magnetic north, not true north does seem to move around the area of axis.

http://www.dopotopa.com/lang1/images/pole_drift_1.jpg

Old January 25th, 2011 #12
Fred Streed
Holy Order of Cosmonauts

The magnetic poles do wander about a little, this is well documented and is taken into account by map makers. The difference between true north and magnetic north depends on your location. In some parts of the USA they are the same. Other places are way off. When I was in Alaska working on a fire crew we were north of the arctic circle on one big fire. I remember the compass declination was way off to the east but I don't remember how much. Spooky wandering around up there, every direction looks the same, the sun kind of rolls around the sky in a low circle in summer, and if you loose your bearings it might be a thousand miles to the next town.

Some scientists do believe the magnetic poles periodically flip, but I don't know what the ramifications of that might be.

Old January 25th, 2011 #13
Fred O'Malley
Banned

The Earth is not in a true circular rotation, but in an eliptical one, just as the planet wobbles on it's axis, causing the seasons, so too does the magnetic poles shift.

One hypothesis is that the weight of the entirety of the crust is fairly in balance and that something causing a significant weight shift, such as a new mountain range or volcano could cause the center of gravity to shift, causing a polar shift of equal proportions.

Old January 25th, 2011 #14
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
One hypothesis is that the weight of the entirety of the crust is fairly in balance and that something causing a significant weight shift, such as a new mountain range or volcano could cause the center of gravity to shift, causing a polar shift of equal proportions.
I've been jumping up and down the last two hours in order to set off the New Madrid fault, precipitating an earthquake which I fully expect to destroy Lapland, Inner Mongolia, and the bayou portion of Louisiana. However, as a cautious and responsible person, I have prepared a mass of specialty packets of freeze dried platypus eggs mixed with rhubarb. Believe me when I tell you delectable does not begin to describe the tastiness of this survival essential. You can pre-order these packets for 9.95 apiece from the link up top.

Old January 25th, 2011 #15
Fred O'Malley
Banned

I'm not saying destruction is upon us, only that there is the possibility. I cast my lot with those scientists from Princeton, et al.

Old January 25th, 2011 #16
Metal Warrior
Leaving a bruise

The last time a global cooling fad happened was in the 1970s.

I believe it was postulated by the same asshats that later followed Gorebot.

Old January 25th, 2011 #17
Fred
Commie Killer

Where is that Giant Space Goat when you need him? I have been waiting and he is overdue.

What about planet X? Is that coming too?

Aren't we due for SUPERVOLCANO!

Then there is that Mega asteroid...

Old January 25th, 2011 #18
SmokyMtn
Banned

Quote:
I'm not saying destruction is upon us, only that there is the possibility. I cast my lot with those scientists from Princeton, et al.
Fred,

Check out this site......

http://www.evolutionaryleaps.com/

Old January 25th, 2011 #19
Fred O'Malley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtn View Post
Fred,

Check out this site......

http://www.evolutionaryleaps.com/
Good link. In the OP, I suggested that polar shift might be beginning and causing the tumultuous weather we are seeing this year. I didn't say we are all doomed, though that might one day happen.

Thanks Smokey.

Old January 25th, 2011 #20
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
The Earth is not in a true circular rotation, but in an eliptical one, just as the planet wobbles on it's axis, causing the seasons, so too does the magnetic poles shift.
Off-point and out-of-context. A mixture of fact and fiction, amounting to gibberish. Incoherent. Gaahhhh. . .

Yes, the Earth's orbit is elliptical. However, it is only very slightly so. So slight is the ellipse, in fact, that the northern hemisphere is closer to the Sun during northern winter than during the summer. Which is all to say, it's practically a circle.

The primary cause of the seasons is the changing relative angle of the Earth's axis of rotation to the plane of the solar system, ie, the Earth's "obliquity" with respect to the Sun. When it's winter in the northern hemisphere, the northern hemisphere is pointed away from the sun. This means the sun's radiation hits the Earth full-on south of the equator. In northern hemisphere summer, the Earth's relative position to the Sun is such that the full-on radiation hits to the north of the equator.

The "wobble" to which I think you're referring is typically called the planet's precession, as in, "the precession of the equinoxes." Precession is a phenomenon common to gyroscopes, tops, and other spinning bodies. The Earth's precessional period is something close to 26,000 years. It does not cause the seasons. (Note: There are other, minor, wobbles that are not thought to be significant regarding climate. See
Chandler_wobble Chandler_wobble
. There are also medium-term effects due to Earth/Moon tidal action. None of these, to my knowledge, affects the seasons year-to-year.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred O'Malley
Here we go again.

You're confusing "true north" (or south) and "magnetic north" (or south).

And you've provided no evidence whatsoever that the wandering magnetic axis of the Earth has anything to do with anything you've opined, or heard someone else opine, or smoked.

However (and God, I hate to admit this in this context) I tend to agree, in principle, with the notion of sudden tectonic plate movement--which aligns with evidence--as opposed to the standard, absurd notion of perpetual gradualism--which aligns with bullshit artists cashing checks at diploma mills. But that's not to say I think such would "shift the poles," cause the end of the world, or any other such nonsense.

---------------

All that having been said, orbital precession may have an impact upon global climate. And the real global climate change arising from this or other natural factors may tend to "lurch," as so much in nature does, due to the need to overcome inertia.

But the timeframe on this is so large relative to a seasonal cycle, ie, one year, that you don't see it by checking the weather forecast.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...0/look-retards

(Post subject to revision if Mike in Denver, alex revision, or some other scientifically competent person points out an error!)

Last edited by Leonard Rouse; January 25th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

Thread