Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 26th, 2014 #2
keifer

Like I always say, you put forth 10% effort and you will be 90% farther than the limp-dick-majority.

Old February 16th, 2014 #3
Hugh
Holorep survivor

Old February 16th, 2014 #4
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

I just saw this thread. It's kind of strange. I was in Navy boot camp in 1968. And yes, the standard way to fuck with recruits (boots) was for the CC to scream at you and make you do push ups. (CC, company commander, is the Navy equivalent of the Marine DI, drill instructor.) The other punishment was to make boots run for a mile or so.

For some strange reason I'd always used push ups and running to get in shape and stay in shape. I could easily do 100 push ups, and with a second or two rest, do another 100. I could also run for miles and miles.

Even in 1968 the average recruit had difficulty doing 20 pushups and could not run (even jog) a mile. This put me in an uncomfortable situation. When the CC wants to fuck with you, you'd better give him the impression that you are suffering. Fortunately I was clever enough to develop some acting skills. When the CC screamed at me to give him 20 pushups, I'd go into acting mode. At about 12, I'd start to fake straining and I'd grimace in fake pain. The same thing with running. After a mile at a slow run my heart rate would not even be elevated, so I'd fake gasping for breath.

You have to give the CCs some satisfaction or they get pissed off.

Mike

Old June 9th, 2014 #6
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

How To Work Out Less And Still Look Younger!

Quote:
Steve Holman, author and creator of the F4X Workout Plan and the book, Old School, New Body, was the editor-in-chief of the Iron Man Magazine, a leader in the fitness magazines for many years now. He has met and worked with the most professional of gym and fitness trainers, and along with his wife, Becky, developed a work out plan that is healthy, time saving, and can make you look a decade younger than you are. It is specifically targeted for individuals aged 40 and up (but is recommended for any age), and is guaranteed to show a difference in just a matter of days!

The book is compiled of information that has appeared in Iron Man over the last several years, and of knowledge gained from working with professional fitness trainers that have trained the best of the best, like Clint Eastwood, Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed from the Rocky movies) and Suzanne Summers. The book includes workouts, a nutrition plan, and action steps to take in order to start the process. This is an intense but time-saving and healthy way to slow down the aging process, build and shape muscle, and become healthier.

This workout program is built similarly for men and women. Steve and his wife Becky swear that men and women can, and should, work out in the same way. No need to work out separately or do different exercises.

There are 5 common mistakes to avoid if you want to slow down the aging process and achieve your dream body:

1. Stop The Crazy Diets! Stop eating those low-fat foods that keep being advertised as “healthy” for you. Your body needs fat in order to run correctly! If you’re constantly counting all those calories and eating only low fat, you cannot enjoy eating out! Worrying yourself to death will definitely not make you look younger…

2. Quit Your Overly Long Cardio Workouts! – Cardiovascular conditioning can be achieved in far less time and with less effort than those long gym classes and hours on the treadmill.

3. Drink More Water! Water not only hydrates you and keeps you healthy – it also helps you burn fat! Water suppresses hunger and keeps your liver and kidneys healthy. Just drinking a dozen ounces a day will drop years from your face by keeping your skin hydrated and healthy!

4. Work out LESS! Steve and Becky are not saying to stop working out. They are just saying that you should go by the old-school resistance training instead of the hours upon hours of cardio classes like spinning and kickboxing.

5. Most importantly: Stop blaming everything on your age!
Studies have shown that even people in their 90s have been able to gain muscle tone in less than a month with some lifting exercises. People can change their bodies at any age, from 35 to 95!

FACT:
YOUR BODY CAN BE THE SAME AS IT WAS WHEN YOU WERE 30 YEARS OLD!

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT DOING EXCERISE !
THERE IS NO “RIGHT AGE” FOR DOING EXCERISE !

You CAN feel young again.

Don’t believe the Gooroo?

Check out this inspiring video below:
Only force rules. Force is the first law - Adolf H. http://erectuswalksamongst.us/ http://tinyurl.com/cglnpdj Man has become great through struggle - Adolf H. http://tinyurl.com/mo92r4z Strength lies not in defense but in attack - Adolf H.

Old September 28th, 2014 #7
ericthered
Idle Anger

Default Stronglifts 5x5

Going to start this Monday. I'll be measuring my progress as I go and update if anyone is interested.

It is a very simple 3 times a week workout of 5 weight training exercises. One of them, (Squats), is done every workout. The others alternate.

Stronglifts 5x5

Old September 28th, 2014 #8
justin c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Going to start this Monday. I'll be measuring my progress as I go and update if anyone is interested.

It is a very simple 3 times a week workout of 5 weight training exercises. One of them, (Squats), is done every workout. The others alternate.

Stronglifts 5x5
Thanks for the link, I just got a gym membership this month and have been going every second day, but haven't looked into training systems as of yet.

Was just seeing what the environment was like. I prefer to go as soon as it opens at 6 am when the squat box is always free. I joined a recreation center with a pool so there's a steam room and then cold swim right after to tighten the muscles up.

The squat box is great, feel amazing after doing some of those lifts. I always just put as much weight as I can possibly lift, do one squat, then take a short rest after one rep and continue until I'm in pain. I heard this was the best way to build muscle, rather than doing a lot of reps with lighter weights.

It's a great feeling so I'm going to keep at it, and I'll try out the system you linked with you brother.

Old September 28th, 2014 #9
Smiley
Banned

strength is really more about how your muscles utilize energy. When you build muscle you are actually increasing the amount of glycogen they store. The amount of pushups you can do depends on how easily they can mobilize and burn up glycogen.

this is why big guys will never be able to lose any weight when they get older. They got 3000 calories of glycogen in their muscles. Their bodies will always burn up glycogen before they burn fat, they could not eat anything for 6 days and never have to burn any fat. They got 3 days worth of glycogen in their liver and another 3 days worth of glycogen in their muscles.

Thread