Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 18th, 2014 #1
Jae Manzel

Question Is it necessary to update Windows?

Well, I've turn off windows update (quite long ago) because it nags me with notifications and also reduce my bandwidth and slow down my PC (it automatically download updates without warning). Sometimes i can't even turn off my PC. But is it necessary to update Windows? what's the purpose of it? i don't see any change whether i update it or not. If i don't update, does it put my computer at some sort of risks? I would be glad to have some advice from someone who is knowledgeable on this subject.Thanks

Last edited by Jae Manzel; March 18th, 2014 at 04:59 AM.

Old March 18th, 2014 #2
M.N. Dalvez

I'd keep on the security updates if I was you.

Old March 18th, 2014 #3
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

My horse told me:
"technology is a continuum of change , constantly reinventing itself ;now where's the oats,stupid"

Old April 12th, 2014 #4
Krimmer

Windows is an easy hack rather than Linux in its own event of the 10,000 security updates they want you to install per month.

Old April 13th, 2014 #5
robert burns

I live out in the sticks so we have mobile broadband with limited usage. If I update windows all the time I would eat up my limit.

I have swapped over to linux and using Puppy Slacko as I type, I dual boot with windows for a few programs I cannot use with linux. Trust me I'm not a computer wiz and after years of using windows I am having little trouble using linux.

I tried Linux Mint and found it not much better than windows as far as speed but Puppy seems much faster and it is smaller. You can use it installed on the hard drive or as a live CD or flash drive.

Maybe it is not the best but I have only tried a few and others here are better suited to give advice if you want to try linux.

Old August 10th, 2014 #6
stevendrew12

Yes they are extremely necessary. Be sure to review them however as some are updates and not completely required. Things marked as Important such as security patches should be installed ASAP as stated before me. As I said review them first before updating.

Tags
update, windows

Thread