VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 23rd, 2015 #1
Ian Smith son

Default Fossilized Tropical Forest Found — in Arctic Norway

Fossilized Tropical Forest Found — in Arctic Norway

A tropical forest densely packed with 12-foot-tall trees with flared trunks and curved branches of needle leaves — Dr. Seuss would have felt right at home — covered an area near the equator some 380 million years ago.

Scientists spotted the fossilized stumps a long way from this location — in Arctic Norway.

Not only did the researchers date the forest as one of Earth's oldest, but they also suggest it may have contributed to a dramatic drop in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels traced to that time in our planet's distant past.

During the Devonian period (416 million to 358 million years ago), Earth's first large trees were emerging. Also around this time, atmospheric carbon dioxide dropped significantly.

Scientists look to the earliest forests for evidence that tree growth played a part in scrubbing CO2 from the atmosphere — trees use the greenhouse gas to photosynthesize and form sugary food — contributing to the global

cooling event that occurred at the end of the Devonian.

Fossilized Tropical Forest Found ? in Arctic Norway

Old November 25th, 2015 #2
Crowe

Talking Bullshit, the Earth is only a few thousand years old.

Just remnants of the great flood that happened 5000 years ago.

Must have washed up trees from the equator all the way up to Norway. Just proves how powerful the flood and gawd is.

Old November 28th, 2015 #3
Fred Streed
Holy Order of Cosmonauts

When I lived in West Virginia I had a rock with a fossilized something in it that looked a lot like that picture. I think Dr. Bob found it and he gave it to me. I'm not sure of the dating of Appalachian fossil layers, I know they are fairly old, like pre-dinosaur. I used to tell people it was a fossilized dinosaur whang.

I have a trilobite fossil that was dated from around 505 million years ago, late Cambrian. It is a strange feeling to be able to hold something in your hand that was alive over half a billion years ago.

Thread