VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > News & Discussion > This Just In
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old May 14th, 2010 #1
Darius Appleby
Banned

Location: high rainfall coastal strip of the White Continent nation
Arrow 16-year-old White Australian girl returns to Sydney sailing solo around the world

http://www.smh.com.au/national/crowd...ml?autostart=1

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...15/2900249.htm

Sydney gets ready to welcome Watson home

VIDEO: Jessica Watson almost home (ABC News)
MAP: Sydney 2000
RELATED STORY: Watson befitting of young Australian award: MP
RELATED STORY: Manager to shadow Watson on final stretch

Jessica Watson is nearing the finish line in her quest to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world.

A flotilla has gathered at Sydney Heads and thousands of spectators are on the harbour foreshore to herald the arrival of the 16-year-old from Queensland's Sunshine Coast.

Watson was expected to arrive at the Opera House about 11:30am (AEST) but has been delayed, battling six metre swells and rough conditions for the final leg of her journey.

The main sail on her yacht, Ella's Pink Lady, has been ripped so she is now making her way without it.

Her mentor and project manager Bruce Arms says this should not affect the rest of her journey.

"I think it's one she stitched up before," he said.

"It just looks a little bit see through but it all looks to be holding at the moment so it should be pretty good to the finish."

Mr Arms sailed beside Watson overnight and says she is going through her last preparations.

"She's very, very nervous at the moment and she's very, very excited," he said.

"We came across her about 8:00pm last night we had all our lights on and she had all her lights on and her face was just lit up with a big glow on it - it was just fantastic to see."

The latest news is that she will round the heads and cross the finish line within the hour but those details have been changing by the minute.

One spectator says reports Watson's attempt will not break official records do not matter to her.

"I don't think it puts a dampener on it from an Australian point of view," she said.

"I don't think any of us care about that."

Maritime authorities have created an exclusion zone around Watson's yacht as it approaches Sydney Heads, the finish line for her journey.

Customs will then board and stamp her passport and a helmsman will steer her boat through the harbour to a jetty at the Opera House where her family and manager waiting.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and New South Wales Premier Kristina Keneally will then welcome her home officially.

Epic journey

Watson set off on her round the world trip on October 17, 2009.

She was hoping to become the youngest person to ever sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.

However, it is unlikely Watson will hold the record after the officials from the UK-based World Speed Sailing Racing Council said she had not sailed far enough north of the equator.

The council says she will also not be recognised as the youngest person to sail around the world because it has discontinued the category.

But Watson has made it clear she is unfazed by the record debate.

"Call me immature but I've actually been having a bit of a giggle over the whole thing," she wrote in her blog.

"If I haven't been sailing around the world, then it beats me what I've been doing out here all this time!

"Yes it's a shame that my voyage won't be recognised by a few organisations because I'm under 18, but it really doesn't worry me."

Watson's journey has seen her sail almost 23,000 nautical miles, crossing the equator twice and rounding Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope.

Some of the most challenging conditions came when Watson was closer to home however, when wild storms plagued her during the final weeks of the trip in the Southern Ocean.

Wind gusts of up to 50 knots, 10-metre swells and lightning storms tested the young sailor and Watson said she could not relax despite being so close to the finish line.

"The last few days have been a bit tough (yes that's an upgrade from the usual interesting!), with strong headwinds, messy seas, lots of lightning and a few high drama moments," Watson wrote on her blog.

"With this weather keeping me on my toes, there's no way I'm relaxing in the slightest."

Watson's last three days at sea have seen less challenging conditions, but it has not been all smooth sailing.

The mainsail tear was caused earlier today by 30-knot winds as she sailed up the New South Wales south coast.

- ABC/AAP

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/

Jessica_Watson Jessica_Watson

Teen sailor Jessica Watson has spent seven months alone at sea aboard her yacht, Ella's Pink Lady. (AAP: Dean Lewins)

Last edited by Darius Appleby; May 27th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.

Old May 14th, 2010 #2
Mr. Bowmont

OMG that boat is so cute.

Old May 15th, 2010 #3
Darius Appleby
Banned

Location: high rainfall coastal strip of the White Continent nation
Arrow I'm no hero, says humble Jessica

http://www.smh.com.au/national/im-no...0515-v54u.html

I'm no hero, says humble Jessica
GLENDA KWEK AND AAP
May 15, 2010 - 4:59PM
Click for more photos
JESSICA WATSON RETURNS

Jessica Watson coming through Sydney Heads after crossing the finish line. Photo: Dallas Kilponen

Solo teen sailor Jessica Watson says she's not a hero, but just "an ordinary girl who had a dream".

The 16-year-old was welcomed by thousands of cheering people at the Opera House and on a flotilla of boats crowding Sydney Harbour just before 3pm this afternoon after a 210-day round-the-world voyage.

"I'm completely overwhelmed. I just don't know what to think at the moment," she told Channel Ten as her yacht sailed into the harbour.

Jessica Watson coming through Sydney Heads. Photo: Dallas Kilponen

Wearing a broad grin and looking none the worse for her epic voyage, Jessica battled to answer questions from the Channel Ten commentators.

The Sydney Harbour was turned into a spectacular reception area, as hundreds of boats crammed into the narrow waters to greet the young adventurer on her small, pink yacht.

Fears that Watson would struggle to walk after such a long time at sea were unfounded, as she made her way up a pink carpet to the Opera House forecourt.

Greeted by the Prime Minister

She was greeted by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who hailed her as "Australia's newest hero".

"You do our nation proud," he said.

"You are a hero for young Australians ... and young Australian women."

But Watson said she had to disagree with Mr Rudd as "I don't consider myself a hero".

"I'm an ordinary girl who had a dream.

"You just have to have a dream and set your mind to it."

The Queenslander squealed, cried and waved as she saw her family for the first time in seven months on an adjacent boat.

"It's all a bit much but absolutely amazing," Watson said. "It's going to be strange to step off the boat."

Watson reflected on times when, as a girl growing up and learning about sailing, she had been overlooked because of her gender.

"As a little girl ... people don't think you're capable of these things. They don't realise what young people, what 16-year-olds, and what girls are capable of.

"It is amazing when you take away those expectations what you can do and what you can achieve.

Praise for overcoming knockers

NSW Premier Kristina Keneally has praised teenage sailor Jessica Watson for taking on risks and winning.

"There's so many of us who wonder if we can risk to do what we dream ... we get afraid of risks," Ms Keneally told the crowd at Sydney Harbour, welcoming the sailor home on Saturday.

"Jessica, you have won, you have won against fear and doubt."

Overcoming the "knockers and the doomsayers" showed dreams could come true, the premier said.

"You've truly captured the hearts of all Australians, and you've inspired them."

- with agencies

http://www.smh.com.au/national/im-no...0515-v54u.html

Last edited by Darius Appleby; May 27th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.

Old May 15th, 2010 #4
Frank Toliver
Formerly Cowboy Zeke

This is a great accomplishment.

Fuck you hippie, you are the system.

Jews are not just a race or just a religion; they are a race who worship themselves religiously.

Old May 15th, 2010 #5
White Winger

And already totally ignored by 99% of our "media", as it was not a non-White. Soon to be re-written out of history........

And as usual, while Whitey is doing something dangerous,daring,exciting,requiring total use of their brain,something substantive and useful,the average 16 year old shitskinned,niggababbling,excuse-making,Whitey-blaming,backward,3rd "world" sub-animal is shitting out more backward,excuse-making,Whitey-blaming,shit-skinned sub-animals to leech off Our system( No,niggorillas,Whitey DID NOT leech off your "hard work" in the "slavery" days........)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
No,niggers don't have a thin skin - they have no skin

INTEGRATION ALWAYS LEADS TO DISINTEGRATION

Old May 15th, 2010 #6
Karl LaForce

Default Welcome home Jessica!

Welcome home Jessica! This is a big deal. I hope she writes a book; I remember reading the book “Dove” twice as a boy and it was a big influence on me. It is important for our young people to read about typical Aryan behavior.

Tags
australia, jesse martin, jessica watson, sailing, solo

Thread