VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 1st, 2010 #1
white_phosphorous
Banned

Default Interesting Discussion w. Navy Officer During NYC fleet week

OK, I'm not sure if this means anything, but thought it worth reporting. Was having a few drinks last night in NYC with a Naval Lieutenant (O-3). It's fleet week in NYC and while it ain't what it used to be since Bloomburg banned carriers from the harbour, it's the one chance a yr to interact with something resembling humanity in NYC.

Anyway, was having a few drinks with an O-3 based on a guided missile cruiser out of jacksonville, fl he said. I asked him if he was heading home after this. His response? "Well, we ought to be,but we're probably gonna be heading over to the Persian Gulf to help out." Coulda been fulla shit, but seemed too loaded to be feeding me a line. Now, wasn't said with any bravado, any macho, just a "oh, shit, here we go again," Which makes it more believable to me.

Now, I know as well as anyone ot to put complete faith in a drunk O-3 talking out of school. Still, as we all know, alcohol limits inhibitions. Would an o-3 be privy to this kinda info? I don't know. What do you all think

Old June 1st, 2010 #2
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_phosphorous View Post
... we're probably ...
That should answer your question. He has no clue. And no, he wouldn't generally be privy to the information as to where the ship is heading next unless he had a need to know. Do you know job he does?

Old June 4th, 2010 #3
white_phosphorous
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
That should answer your question. He has no clue. And no, he wouldn't generally be privy to the information as to where the ship is heading next unless he had a need to know. Do you know job he does?
Lol, mate I come from a military family going back to the French-and Indian war, I know a bullshiter/bravado when I hear it. If I knew his job description, should I post his name, rank and serial # too?

He was a southerner as I am. I reported it as a rumor and "probably bullshit." didn't say it was fact, but given the situation in Iran, is it that absurd? There's a tone of true dread "I just fucking want to go home" and then there's a 21 yr old "Where are the hajis at?" I know the difference.

Old June 19th, 2010 #4
white_phosphorous
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
OTPTT-- Will I be getting an apology and a solemn promise never to doubt my word again?

Report: U.S., Israeli warships cross Suez Canal toward Red Sea
Egypt opposition angered at government for allowing the fleet of more than 12 ships to cross Egyptian manned waterway, Al-Quds Al-Arabi reports.

By Jack Khoury
Tags: Israel news Egypt US

More than twelve United States Naval warships and at least one Israeli ship crossed the Suez Canal towards the Red Sea on Friday, British Arabic Language newspaper Al-Quds Al-Arabi reported Saturday.

According to the report, thousands of Egyptian soldiers were deployed along the Suez Canal guarding the ships' passage, which included a U.S. aircraft carrier.

The Suez Canal is a strategic Egyptian waterway which connects between the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea.

According to eyewitnesses, the U.S. battleships were the largest to have crossed the Canal in many years, Al-Quds reported.

Egyptian opposition members have criticized the government for cooperating with the U.S. and Israeli forces and allowing the ships' passage through Egyptian territorial waters.

They said the viewed the event as Egyptian participation in an international scandal, and added that the opposition would not sit with its arms crosses while the country allowed a fleet of U.S. and Israeli military ships to cross.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...d-sea-1.297068

Old June 19th, 2010 #5
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
OTPTT-- Will I be getting an apology and a solemn promise never to doubt my word again?
Absolutely not. The O-3 still didn't have a need to know and based upon his own statement, "... we're probably ...," indicates he had no first hand knowledge of the future location of his battle group.

Old June 19th, 2010 #6
America First

46 years ago.

This senator resigned if I remember correctly ?

We cannot allow the natural passions and prejudices of other peoples
to lead our country to destruction.

-Charles A. Lindbergh
http://www.fff.org/freedom/0495c.asp

Old June 19th, 2010 #7
Jess_Smith

Quote:
OTPTT will only believe you if you provide proof - his preferred choice would be a video from the recorder in your cigar or shoe.

Old June 19th, 2010 #8
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNightshade View Post
OTPTT will only believe you if you provide proof - his preferred choice would be a video from the recorder in your cigar or shoe.
I never said I doubted that he had the conversation little girl. I said that he likely didn't have a need to know and by his own admission "we're probably ..." confirms that I was right.

The only information I originally asked about was his job description and nothing else.

Old June 19th, 2010 #9
white_phosphorous
Banned

Quote:
Absolutely not. The O-3 still didn't have a need to know and based upon his own statement, "... we're probably ...," indicates he had no first hand knowledge of the future location of his battle group.
yeah, but fact still remains that I managed to elicit the info 2 weeks ago and that the timeline fits in pretty well with the ship being near the Suez right around now. How or why did he know? Shit flows downhill. Maybe the brass suddenly tightened discipline onboard, increased readiness drills, etc., ad nauseam.

He did qualify with "probably," but if you're from the South you know that it's pretty common to use the term to maintain plausible deniability or as a manner of being polite.

I tended to believe him based mostly on tone and body language. Guy was genuinely dreading another deployment.

It's a moot point anyway, but somehow the guy apparently did know.

Thread