Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 12th, 2009 #1
John Briggs

Post Pink Eye Lifespan on Surfaces?

I had my nephew over at my house that unknowingly had the Pink Eye and he started touching my daughter's stuffed animals. I found out about his condition and now my daughter won't touch her stuffed friends. My nephew has since gotten over it, but my daughter won't tough the toys. I don't really know who to ask so I hope that it isn't too off the beaten path to ask this here but how long does the Pink Eye bacteria or whatever stay on surfaces? By the way I don't know how my nephew got it. This would sure save me the time and money to not have to buy her all new stuffed animals.

Old June 12th, 2009 #2
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

There's viral pink eye, bacterial pink eye and allergy pink eye. Each caused by a different agent. Just spray the toys with Lysol.

Old June 12th, 2009 #3
SSanguine

Thumbs up

http://childcarelounge.iforumer.com/...hildcarelounge

If I were you, I would use the lysol antibactrial spray like Odin said to do and make sure tha you wash those stuffed animals too. Just wash them on delicate with detergent and put them outside to dry if you have a warm and sunny day.

Yuck, I hate dealing with pink eye Hope you already washed any blankets o anything he touched.

Old June 13th, 2009 #4
John Briggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin View Post
Just spray the toys with Lysol.
The problem about that is my kid's favorite toy is old and I'm afraid that it will damage it and plus she hates the smell of lysol. I think if I put it in the washer that it would deteriorate. So I guess I'm going to be the damn villain no matter what I do.

Old June 13th, 2009 #5
Dan_O

Well, she should thank you in the long run. Pink eye is nasty. I caught it once when I was 13. It feels like you have sand under your eyelid that will not come out.

Old June 13th, 2009 #6
Mark
Banned

I would definitely not put them in the washer, it will damage them.

You could get a damp cloth with some antibacterial soap (hand soap not detergent), and brush the surface of the stuffed animals, then another damp cloth to get the soap off.

You could also use hand sanitizer gel or wipes to clean the stuffed animals.

Old June 13th, 2009 #7
SSanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Briggs View Post
The problem about that is my kid's favorite toy is old and I'm afraid that it will damage it and plus she hates the smell of lysol. I think if I put it in the washer that it would deteriorate. So I guess I'm going to be the damn villain no matter what I do.

Then you should wash it by hand, spray it with lysol, and let it air-out. There are many different scents (Fresh Linen Scent) that lysol makes and even if she doesn't like the smell of it, after letting the stuffed animal air-out, there should be a faint smell if any. So, don't tell her you're using the antibacterial spray, and cover it up with some sweet smell body spray or perfume. I don't know how old she is, but tell her that the toy has to go to stuffed animal hospital for a few days and bring it back with a band-aid. She'll never know.

Old June 13th, 2009 #8
SSanguine

Oh and make sure you wear gloves.

Thread