VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 27th, 2009 #121
bmwbiker
......................... .

jewsign Croatian Delegation Visits Auschwitz

Croatian Delegation Visits Auschwitz

President of the Croatian Parliamentary Committee for foreign policy Mario Zubovic and member Romana Jerkovic, who are also members of the inter-parliamentary friendship association Croatia-Israel, are visiting Auschwitz on Monday and Tuesday, organised by the Association of European Friends of Israel, the Croatian Parliament announced.

The Croatian delegation is taking part in the joint mission of European Parliament representatives for the first time, organised anent European Holocaust Remembrance Day, marked on January 27.

The goal of the visit to the infamous Nazi camp Auschwitz-Birkenau is to remember the committed horrors and cruelties against innocent victims of these monstrous crimes, the announcement reads.

It is the desire of European Parliament members to work about the universal messages that humanity must see from this dark historic period and of the dangers which are yielded from hatred and intolerance, the press release of the Croatian Parliament reads.

Old January 28th, 2009 #122
bmwbiker

Default Parliament Grants 8.4 Mln Euro To Croatian Parties

Parliament Grants 8.4 Mln Euro To Croatian Parties

The budget is equal for every MP, thus most money went to the HDZ (3.6 million euros) and the SDP (3 million euros).

The Croatian budget will single out a total of 60.4 million kuna (approximately 8.4 million euros) for the work of Parliamentary parties, the Parliamentary committee for Constitution, regulations and political system decided on Tuesday.

With the decision of distributing funds for the work of political parties from the state budget, the funds are equal for every MP, while they are distributed to Parliamentary parties in proportion to the number of representatives they had when the Parliament was constituted.

According to this principle, most money went to the Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ, approximately 3.6 million euros) with 66 representatives, followed by the Social Democratic Party (SDP, approximately 3 million euros) with 55 MPs, the Croatian People`s Party (HNS, approximately 375,000 euros) for 7 MPs and the Croatian Peasants` Party (HSS, approximately 319,444 euros) with six MPs.

The Istrian Democratic Assembly (IDS), Croatian Democratic Parliament of Slavonia and Baranja (HDSSB) and the Independent Democratic Serbian Party (SDSS), each with three MPs received approximately 152,777 euros, while the Croatian Social Liberal Party (HSLS) received approximately 107,361 euros for two MPs. The Croatian Pensioners` Party (HSU), the Croatian Party of Rights (HSP) and the Party of Democratic Action (SDH), all with one MP, received approximately 53,750 euros).

Nonpartisan MPs of national minorities Furio Radin, Denes Soja and Nazif Memedi received 53,750 euros each, while their colleague Zdenka Cuhnil received approximately 59,027 euros.

Old January 28th, 2009 #123
bmwbiker

jewsign Jewish Community Agrees:

Vedrana Rudan’s Statement is Pure Anti-Semitism Vedrana Rudan is the manifestation of a widespread sickness in Croatian society, and that is Anti-Semitism, says Ivo Goldstein.

ZAGREB, CROATIA - The marking of the International Holocaust Remembrance Day in the Jewish religious association “Bet Israel” and the Jewish congregation of Zagreb, passed with the Anti-Semitic speech by Vedrana Rudan on Nova TV. Her statement that Jews should finally become people, was mentioned a number of times in speeches, and the anniversary of the serious casualties of the Jewish people during World War II became harder.

The president of Bet Israel, Ivo Goldstein, could not hide his disappointment that such comments were shown on national television. He considers that Vedrana Rudan is an unserious person that tried to deal with serious things in a totally wrong way, adding that it is useless to defend yourself from such statements.

“Unfortunately, Mrs Rudan is the manifestation of a widespread disease that manifests itself in the Croatian society, and that is Anti-Semitism” stresses Goldstein.

The Jewish religious association Bet Israel is considering filing a suit against Vedrana Rudan, who after only one “IN magazine” show lost her column.

“I would not like to speak about the steps that we will take now. Things need to calm down a little and then we will se what we will do, but some steps must be taken” considers Goldstein.

However, the small Palestinian boy that died in an Israeli attack, that Rudan keeps on mentioning in her column, is a victim of Israeli politics, before which they cannot close their eyes.

Vedrana Rudan’s column is only one in a series of Anti-Semitic provocations

“A victim is a victim, and I cannot say anything else but that I regret every victim, not only civilian, but every victim that fell in war. However, all of those facts and every such victim needs to be placed in a certain context and not pull out some examples at the cost of some others” said the president of Bet Israel.

In the end he added that Vedrana Rudan’s column is only one in a series of Anti-Semitic provocations that have occurred in recent days. The most terrifying one occurring just before the marking of the International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

“From one certain telephone number, which seems to be a phone booth in Split, came a threat that a bomb was planted here, and that everything will blow into the air in one hour, with swearing on the account of Jews.

We immediately informed the police, who arrived and searched the whole building. Luckily, they did not find anything” said Goldstein.

The vice-president of the Jewish congregation of Zagreb, Sanja Zoricic Tabakovic, also agrees with him, and saw Vedrana Rudan’s comment by chance. As she says, she would not have looked at it had it not attracted attention.

We considered a law suit and have sent that statement to the world

“I heard that she was talking about the war between the Jews and Palestinians, I started looking at it with a lot of attention. I was shocked with such a real Anti-Semitic outburst” said Zoricic Tabakovic. She added that you cannot link the Holocaust and smoke from Auschwitz with any daily politics and any war of today.

She stresses that this does not mean that people cannot criticize Israeli politics, but that Vedrana Rudan’s comments were pure Anti-Semitism, which must be reacted to.

“We considered a law suit and have sent the statement to the world. We have not finally decided what we will do, I am not even certain if it is us to us to undertake something” said the vice-president of the Jewish congregation in Zagreb. She added that all victims need to be talked about, even Palestinians, but it is Anti-Semitic to bring the Israeli-Palestinian war into the context that Vedrana Rudan did.

Zarko Puhovski, who held the most shaking speech at the ceremony in Bet Israel, considers that it is distasteful and unserious to make such comments in the context of entertainment shows like “IN magazine”.

Vedrana Rudan’s statement certainly helps the Anti-Semitic spirit

“In the context of a semi-humorous show, it needs to be said that it is distasteful and that it certainly helps the Anti-Semitic spirit that exists in one part of the people. That part is small, but it exists” stresses Puhovski.

As he says, he is against law suits, including this one. It is enough to say that something distasteful is in question, considers Puhovski.

“Vedrana Rudan is a person intelligent enough and educated enough to understand that she made a mistake that can be relatively easily fixed” he stresses.

He considers that there is no dispute that every victim is equal, and that a war occurred where the ratio of victims is one hundred to one. Every victim should be spoken about, concluded Puhovski.

In name of Christ.......fight against communist

Old January 28th, 2009 #124
bmwbiker

jewsign Vedrana Rudan

This Was A Heroic Act, My Greatest Accomplishment I believe this was a heroic act on my part, because I published names and surnames of Palestinian children from Gaza on a Jewish network.

ZAGREB, CROATIA -

- This is the first in a line of layoffs, they will continue later on – Vedrana Rudan commented on the suspension of editor Danijel Delale, which followed after her `Jew` comment, most severely condemned by the Jewish community in Croatia, calling it hate speech.

Vedrana Rudan, who was fired herself, said she does not think she did something wrong and this is why she did not wish to apologise for her statements.

- They asked me to apologise and if I had, I would have kept my job, but I didn`t want that. I think this was a heroic act on my part, because I published names and surnames of Palestinian children from Gaza on a Jewish network. As long as I live, I will consider this my greatest act – Rudan said, adding she felt like a victim due to the attack by the Jewish community.

- I feel like Ana Frank! – she said, shaken by the entire matter.

Although Nova TV network cancelled their collaboration, she is not afraid of being unemployed, because she has already received many business offers.

- A Croatian television network has offered me a job, guaranteeing that such a thing would not happen again – Rudan concluded, reiterating that all of this was hard on her.

Old January 29th, 2009 #125
bmwbiker

Default Anti-semitism Or Reality

Down On Your Knees Before Jewish Organisations

It seems that Jewish organisations did not realise the brutal truth which Vedrana Rudan presented to the public.

Vedrana Rudan, a writer and columnist f exceptionally sharp and brazen tongue, lost her job on Tuesday because she told the brutal truth about what the entire world is looking away from and pretending that it is not happening. She told her story and her view of the war in Palestine, about a little boy who was killed as the Gaza Strip was shelled.

In her speech on Nova TV network`s show IN Magazin, Vedrana Rudan looked back on her ancestors, on her grandfather who killed in Jasenovac, wondering if she should answer for his crimes and wear that stigma her entire life. It seems, as it turned out in the end, that she should. It seems that Vedrana Rudan was right when she dared to touch on Israel with her severe comment. They showed her it was not allowed. Whoever dares, looses their job.

Palestinian boy as synonym foo Anne Frank

A little boy whose photograph appeared in the end of her piece, frames in black, was Vedrana Rudan`s synonym for Anne Frank. His name was Yahya Hayek. His lifeless body, left under the ruins had to have been identified by his grandmother after the Israel army shelled the Gaza Strip. Because she had to ID him, the grandmother said she would send a thank you note to the Israeli leaders because of their kind and humane gesture.

Rightfully, Rudan wondered why everyone knew who Anne Frank was and nobody knew the name of the little Palestinian boy who was also an innocent victim. Nobody is denying the suffering the Jewish people went through in the time of Nazism and fascism, as Rudan said herself, nobody is denying the Holocaust, but should the entire world fall down on their knees before Israel because of this, 80 years later? In other words, everything should be forgiven to Israel and they can do whatever they want, because they went through the most severe agony 80 years ago, nearly a century ago.

Rudan also said one thing which was severely condemned by the Jewish as well as state organisations, like the National minorities council. She quoted a sentence from the diary of Anne Frank:

- Let Jews stop being Jews and start being people –

It is this sentence that was condemned by the Jewish organisations and made them attack her, without considering the context of Rudan`s story and speech. There is also a sentence which the writer used as a synonym for the suffering of Yahya Hayek, who died in an attack, as well as for many other nameless Palestinian children killed in the brutal Israeli strikes (Israel will surely not accuse anyone of excessive shelling).

Borderline with hate speech

- Vedrana Rudan presented a comment on that show which was borderline with hate speech, more horrible than anti-Semitism - Aleksandar Tolnauer, president of the National minorities council and a member of a Jewish organisation said.

Therefore, Rudan`s comment was on the brink of hate speech, Tolnauer believes, but the question remains why, for instance, he did not voice himself when Zadar Mayor Zivko Kolega removed all national flags from Zadar`s main square, because of just one flag – the Serbian one. Why did all state institutions get past that almost quietly, why did everyone feebly condemn the stoning of the Serbian Hemofarm owner`s car… Wasn`t that hate speech as well?

Why did not the same Jewish organisations condemn Israel`s attacks on Gaza, why did they not condemn the killings of innocent children and people? Are Jewish organisations and their members in Croatia actually that threatened?

Anti-Semitism in Croatia

- Unfortunately, Mrs. Rudan is a manifestation of a wider disease which is manifested in the Croatian society, and this is anti-Semitism – president of the Jewish community in Zagreb Bet Israel Ivo Goldstein pointed out.

Anti-Semitism in the Croatian society? Anti-Semitism, without getting into the historic meaning of the word and its background, means hostility towards Jews. Do Croats and people of other nationality living in Croatia have an anti-Semitic disposition towards Jews and what is Goldstein`s claim exactly based on?

In her peculiar way, without using diplomatic language, Vedrana Rudan condemned Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip, a day before the International Holocaust Remembrance Day was marked. With a reason. Or, as Sir Gerald Kaufman would say, member of the British Parliament, of Jewish origin:

- The Israeli government ruthlessly and cynically exploits the continuing guilt among gentiles over the slaughter of Jews in the Holocaust as justification for their murder of Palestinians… The Israelis are implying that Jewish lives are precious, but the lives of Palestinians do not count… Several days ago, spokesperson of the Jewish Army Livovich was asked about Israeli killings of 800 Palestinians, at the time, on Sky News. She replied straight away “500 of them were militants”. This was a Nazi reply.

Untouchable uebermensch

Statement that special UN investigator Richard Falk gave to Reuters can be added, who was sent to the Middle East to look into the state of human rights in the conflict between Israel and Palestine. He concluded that the Israeli Army has committed war crimes in the Gaza Strip. Falk, of Jewish origin, compared the Gaza situation to the Warsaw ghetto, where Jews were located during World War II and which the Germans systematically starved.

It is exactly this that Vedrana Rudan wanted to warn about with her comment.

However, it seems that only one thing is evident in the end. Jewish organisations managed to turn Jews into what Hitler wanted to turn Germans into – uebermensch. The Superman, the untouchable.

Last edited by bmwbiker; January 29th, 2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: h

Old January 29th, 2009 #126
bmwbiker

Asylum Requested for 3 Year Old For Fear of Croats A Serbian mother from Croatia is seeking political asylum for her three year old child, because it would be abused in Croatia

The mother, who is from Croatia but has Serbian heritage, requested political asylum for her three year old son, with the statement that she and the boy’s father were forced to leave Croatia in 2005. They fled, they claim, because they were faced with exiles that were based on their ethnic heritage, and claim that their family did not receive the requested adequate police protection.

Because of these “personal experiences”, the mother, in the name of the boy who was born in Ireland, but has Croatian citizenship, requested that her son be granted refugee status, justifying the move with “justified fear that her son will experience abuse and exile upon arriving to Croatia”.

So the case that deals with a minor refugee, born on January 2, 2006 in the Rotunda hospital in Ireland, brought into question the status of human rights in Croatia, and the whole story was carried published in the Irish daily newspaper, the Irish Times.

Discrimination of Serbian children

The request for refugee status in the name of the child was first sent in June 2006. The mother carried out an interview in the boy’s name on August 1, 2006, in which she complained of the potential discrimination of Serbian children in the education system, especially because the child will not be able to learn its mother tongue. She mentioned her beliefs, reports the Irish Times, that Croatian nationalists will verbally and physically abuse her son if he lives in the country, and that he would not have the same rights as his peers.

The notes from that interview confirmed that a number of documents were delivered from the country to officials from the boy’s lawyer. Excerpts from those documents attracted attention of the responsible institutions there, because they showed the serious weakening of human rights in Croatia, in 2005.

Error in process

Before preparing a report, the boy’s lawyer wrote to the official’s office who was leading the procedure, complaining that during the interview, they were not allowed to describe how it was like for her and her family to be exiled in Croatia for their ethnic heritage. The mother was told to limit her answers to the experiences of her son, even though she considered her experiences to be important so that the questioner could understand the reasons for filing a request for the status of refugee, for her and her son.

The family claimed that the official made a mistake on the law by violating article 12 on the law on refugees, which relates to the security in the country of origin. She complained that when a country was declared as safe, there are no criteria for making such declarations. The problem occurred because Croatia was declared as a “safe” country in 1996 according to the law on refugees. Because of that, the family did not have the right to the an oral hearing before the appeal court for refugees, because the refugee commissioner evaluated that the boy’s case cannot be placed in that category.

The family disputed the denial of an oral hearing when the country is declared to be safe, considering that the personal circumstances in this case can only be determined via an oral hearing.

Irish court decision bad for Croatia

After the appeal was filed, the court in Ireland concluded that if the family is denied a request to revise the case, they will lose the right to present oral evidence, evaluating that the critical evidence is her mother’s testimony about her own exile, the exile of the father and their wider family.

The judge that is leading the case concluded that the official that worked on the request had to take into account the latest, accurate and checked data on the country of origin, and if there is contradictory information, the official is bound to justify the reasons his decision was made, brought from such conflicting information.

The family based their request on the documentation that worked with the human rights of ethnic minorities in Croatia from: the Human Rights Watch in 2006, an Amnesty International report from 2005, a State Department report from 2005, and an International Helsinki Federation from 2006. According to an evaluation from the judge, all of those documents show that the situation in Croatia (as far as ethnic minority rights are concerned), significantly worsened in 2005.

The official that decided on the request could also hear evidence on the exile of the refugee status seeker, their mother and wider family.

However, according to the judge’s decision, in his report he was “in strong contradiction to the oral and documented evidence, concluding that the request based on fear of exile and ethnic discrimination was not sufficiently founded”.

In order to justify his decision, the official used documentation for 2004 which the Croatian Cabinet sent to the European Council, which the judge characterised as “significantly less accurate (up to date) than the documentation that the status requester offered”.

Judge Irvine then concluded that the family had a strong enough foundation that the official did not weigh all of the evidence enough linked to the country of origin and that his decision was not suitable when you face the “convincing and respectable evidence”.

The judge then brought the decision according to which the family delivered enough evidence which disputes the official’s decision, who did not offer enough arguments and explanations for rejecting the request.

Dragun: They did not contact us

Finally, the judge “recognized the fact that the family was denied the right to offer evidence, on the basis of which she will be able to file an appeal on the final decision for refugee status, if the decision it not good for the family”.

On the other hand, the Croatian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integrations did not know about the case any more than they could read from the media.

“Nothing was ever requested from the Croatian embassy in Ireland, nor did that family ever contact us” said the ministry spokesperson Mario Dragun.

Dragun confirmed that the current situation, according to the results from international organizations, is totally different.

The whole court decision is available at www.courts.ie.

Old January 29th, 2009 #127
bmwbiker

THERE IS, THERE ISN`T Is Croatia In Recession Or Isn`t It? What sort of fear and crisis are you taking about when 300,000 people went skiing and 100,000 bought new cars – Markovinovic wondered.

ZAGREB, CROATIA – The discussion at the Croatian Parliament on the report of the Croatian National Bank (HNB) for the first half of 2008 turned into a long and exhausting soap opera with representatives of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) and the Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) arguing over the question whether Croatia is in a crisis or is not. The only thing they agreed on was that the HNB helped to avoid the collapse of the financial system with a wise policy and should reduce interest rates instead of making extra profit, but their views of everyday life hardships differ significantly, depending on if they are from the governing party of the opposition section of the Parliament.

Thus, the SDP said that Croatia is in a severe crisis, on the brink of disaster, freezing and starvation, while the HDZ government irresponsibly avoids passing urgent measures. The governing ones claim that there is no crisis, perhaps the recession which came from abroad was actually “a challenge”. Ingrid Anticevic Marinovic and Krunoslav Markovinovic stated their arguments.

- Cough and poverty cannot be hidden – Anticevic Marinovic of the SDP said.

- What sort of fear and crisis are you taking about when 300,000 people went skiing and 100,000 bought new cars? They can`t make ends meet? How can they make skiing meet? – The HDZ representative asked her.

Damir Kajin of the Istrian Democratic Assembly (IDS) believes Croatia is “going to hell”, regardless of what the government is doing and that the last train for investment has taken off.

Andrija Hebrang of the HDZ said that the IMF would not return to Croatia, because the Croatian government has a programme for the crisis.

Old January 29th, 2009 #128
bmwbiker

GREEK EMBASSY Greek Bloc of Croatian Negotiations Is Nonsense Zafeirios Rossidis, media advisor of the Greek Embassy in Zagreb, claims the bloc due to recognising Macedonia does not exist.

ZAGREB, CROATIA - While Croatia is waiting for the solution of the Slovene bloc of its European Union accession negotiations, according to the Slobodna Dalmacija daily, Greece has joined in, unofficial information states.

According to the daily, although the European Commission believes that Croatia`s justice system reforms and the fight against corruption were heading in the same direction, Greece might block this chapter. Dissatisfaction appeared in Greece as Croatia recognised Macedonian national minorities and the Autokefal Macedonian Orthodox Church.

Greece is obstructing Macedonia from accessing NATO, as well as its negotiations with the European Union because of a dispute which has been dragged along since Macedonia came out of former Yugoslav Republic in 1991. Greece opposes the fact that Macedonia uses the same name as its Northern province and accuses its neighbour of seizing symbols of ancient Greek culture.

Still, the Greek Embassy informs us that such speculation is ungrounded.

- Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. Why would Greece do this? Croatia recognised Macedonia before 2005, so there is no problem with that – Zafeirios Rossidis, media advisor of the Greek Embassy in Zagreb told us.

The name dispute was addressed at the United Nations in 2005, when Matthew Nimitz, special UN representative who was named the mediator of the dispute, sent his proposal for the solution of the Greek-Macedonian dispute.

Old January 30th, 2009 #129
bmwbiker

Croatia, Slovenia Nearer Solution In Border Row Experts from both countries said they had agreed to confine their dispute to a 6-km (4-mile) stretch of land border

Croatia said on Wednesday it had moved closer to resolving an 18-year-old border dispute with Slovenia which has been blocking its European Union membership bid.
Experts from both countries said they had agreed to confine their dispute to a 6-km (4-mile) stretch of land border but had made less progress on a sea border in the Northern Adriatic. The land border is 664 km long.

Diplomats say the dispute, which the two countries have not been able to settle since Yugoslavia collapsed in 1991, must be resolved quickly if Croatia is to complete EU accession talks this year and join the 27-member bloc in 2011.

"In these 18 years, perhaps we have never come closer to reaching a proposal on how to overcome this which we could put forward to our governments," Davorin Rudolf, head of the Croatian team, told a news conference.

The countries still need to agree on what type of international arbitration would be acceptable to both.

EU-member Slovenia has for the last few months vetoed the opening and conclusion of a number of negotiating chapters in Croatia's EU entry talks because of the border row.

Rudolf said he wanted to pursue talks but his Slovenian counterpart, Miha Pogacnik, said he needed to consult his government before moving forward

"We have discussed everything. But for some issues that need political negotiations, we shall need replies from the governments. Our legal side of the work is more or less finished," Rudolf said.

The European Commission has asked Nobel Peace Prize winner Martti Ahtisaari, former Finnish president and veteran diplomat, to help mediate the conflict if both parties agree to it.

"I think Brussels has become very annoyed with this issue and they want it to end. Eventually both countries will have to agree to international mediation, after which Slovenia will lift their veto," Croatian political analyst Zeljko Trkanjec said.

Slovenia has blocked Croatia's EU accession talks over documents it says were prejudicial to the border dispute. It wants legally binding assurances from Croatia that these documents will not be used to solve the border issue.

Rudolf said the teams agreed that no documents or maps issued after the two countries became independent from Yugoslavia in 1991 would be relevant in the dispute.

Croatia preferred to see the dispute settled before the International Court of Justice in The Hague but did not rule out international mediation, he added.

Old January 31st, 2009 #130
bmwbiker

ZAGREB, CROATIA – Croatian MPs are not concerned with yesterday`s sketch at the Slovene Parliament. Because of Janez Jansa party`s (Slovene Democratic Party) decision not to take part in the vote on accepting the protocol for Croatian and Albanian NATO accession, the Slovene Parliament ended its sitting and will discuss Croatian NATO accession in mid-February, which might jeopardise Croatian schedule of accession due in April.

Former Croatian defence minister, Social Democrat Zeljka Antunovic believes that this meant Jansa was setting up current Slovene Prime Minister Borut Pahor.

No control
Political parties, Italian national minority representative Furio Radin believes, have long since lost control in their relations, when it comes to solving the border dispute with Croatia.
- They did not disagree over the support of Croatia for NATO accession, but on some sort of political raqueteering within Slovenia. I don`t see serious indications that this will be long lasting. Current PM Borut Pahor and former PM Janez Jansa will have to agree. The dispute is over not passing the financial report that refers to Janez Jansa`s term. Where is the way out I wouldn`t go that far into their options of agreement. Slovenia has no interest in NATO or European Union structures objecting to it. I would simply say that Slovenes are caught in their own web, which they wanted to set up for us. As far as our European Union accession is concerned. Rapporteur of the European Parliament for Croatia Hannes Swoboda visited Zagreb today and repeated that he expects the end of negotiations by the end of 2009 – Zeljka Antunovic of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) believes.

Vesna Pusic of the Croatian People`s Party (HNS) agreed with her:

- I believe that lack of agreement between the position and the opposition in Slovenia is in question, which unfortunately abrupts the relations of out two countries in an already delicate situation – said the head of the Croatian Parliamentary committee for monitoring European Union accession.

- This cannot stop Croatia`s NATO accession, because this is a question of strategic and security interest for the region, therefore Slovenia as well – Pusic added.

- This is a vicious circle, as far as they are concerned… Big fish decide on NATO, not Slovenia or Croatia. When will we access NATO? I don`t know, but this will surely be solved one day – Furio Radin, Italian national minority representative, concluded.

Old January 31st, 2009 #131
bmwbiker

Croatia to play Poland in handball semi-finals

Croatia will face Poland this evening (Fri) at 8:30 pm in the semi-finals of the World Handball Championships.

Coach Lino Cervar said today: "We are analysing our opponent and searching for opportunities. We are dealing with an opponent worthy of our respect. It will not be easy, but we want to write history, and for that we have to leave the floor with bloody knees."

Cervar also thanked the fans and asked them to continue to support the players.

Croatian player Domagoj Duvnjak said: "Everybody is expecting gold from us. But to say something like that would be really dumb and unfair to our opponent. We fear no one. We have to keep cool heads, and, if we want to win, we need to leave our hearts on the floor."

A lot will depend on goalkeeper Mirko Alilovic, who said: "We are preparing on a physical level. We are full of confidence, but we are taking one step at a time

Old January 31st, 2009 #132
bmwbiker

Heart-shaped islet is top attraction before St. Valentine´s Day
A remote, heart-shaped islet in the Adriatic has become a top attraction for couples in love in the run-up to St. Valentine's Day on 14 February.

Thanks to photos at Google Earth, many people have noted the islet, named Galesnjak, has the shape of a heart.

The family of Vlado Juresko from Preko on nearby Pasman Island, who owns Galesnjak, is ready to make the 130,000-square-metres islet available to couples as long as they are older than 16, according to daily newspaper "Slobodna Dalmacija."

Juresko is also planning to organize a 1.5-kilometre-long race across the deserted islet for such couples, many of whom have already indicated interest in participating in it.

Juresko claims Galesnjak looks more like a heart than any other island in the world, including Australian Heart Reef.

Old January 31st, 2009 #133
bmwbiker

Default acab

Policeman arrested for stealing money and credit cards from prisoners

The Croatian anti-corruption agency (USKOK) has arrested a policeman in Split.

The agency suspects he has stolen money and credit cards from prisoners in custody or under police investigation.

The man, 35, is also suspected of misuse of office and falsification of documents about prisoners’ property.

He has also allegedly misrepresented himself as being a traffic policeman

Old January 31st, 2009 #134
bmwbiker

Default First Croatian Police

Croatia Ends Negotiations with EU This Year Minister Kosor thanked the officers for their sacrifice that enabled Croatia to complete negotiations with the EU this year.

ZAGREB, CROATIA – The First Croatian Police Association, which gathers the first ever armed police troops in Croatia, held its fifth assembly at the Zagreb Police Academy. Croatian Homeland War Soldiers’ Minister Jadranka Kosor attended the assembly as a special guest.

Croatia is ending negotiations with the EU this year

After the Croatian national anthem and a minute of silence for all those killed during the Homeland War, Minister Kosor held an opening speech.

The minister thanked the officers and their families for the courage and perseverance they showed during the war in Croatia, adding that without their sacrifice, Croatia would not be what it was today.

- Today, Croatia is a member of the Security Council and soon, we can count the days, we will become members of NATO. This year definitely, despite all the blockades, we will end our negotiations with the European Union, and all this would not be possible without you – the minister said.

Plan to prevent Homeland War soldiers from being forgotten

Minister Kosor stated an idea of how to prevent Homeland War soldiers and police officers from being forgotten, which is that pupils should, at least once, visit Vukovar, see its water tower and light candles at the memorial cemetery.

- No Croatian Homeland War veteran should be forgotten. I call on all citizens of Croatia to do everything for them – Kosor said.

In her speech, the minister said that her ministry had never removed funds from any project intended for the Homeland War veterans and that the budget of six billion kuna should suffice for projects that will make possible the employment of veterans, their pensions and housing.

In the end Kosor voiced her wish that as many people gather at the Plitvice Lakes where homage will be paid to Josip Jovic, the first Croatian police officer killed in the Homeland War.

there goes ours indepence

Old February 2nd, 2009 #135
bmwbiker

PHOTO: Fans Celebrating in Tent Since 6am Although the final handball match has not even begun yet, fans have been warming up in the tent in Zagreb’s main square since 6am.

ZAGREB, CROATIA – Whatever the outcome of the final world handball championship match between Croatia and France may be, almost everything is ready at Zagreb’s main Ban Jelacic Square for a phenomenal greeting of Croatia’s players at 8:30pm. And even through the game has not even started yet, people have been celebrating since the early morning hours.

- We bought the tickets for the finals before Christmas at a price of 350 kuna. The seats in the hall are not great, but all that matters is that we are there. We have all the cheering props: flags, jerseys and trumpets – said 21-year-old Matej Smolic from Nova Gradiska, while his friend Ivan Artukovic added:

- Beer is also an unavoidable cheering prop.

With a smile on their faces and tickets in their pockets, three friends from Nova Gradiska arrived in Zagreb just for the finals. As they said, they expect Croatia to win.

Zvone from Sibenik: We arrived at the tent at 6am

But not everybody was so lucky. A large jolly group from Sibenik, who watched the Croatian team in Split, arrived in Zagreb hoping to get tickets for the finals. They tried everything, but did not manage to get any, as all tickets have been sold out long ago. Not even a red and white chequered hat which they put on the ground of the tent to get a few kuna. Tourists liked that idea, so they threw a few kuna into the hat.

- We arrived from Sibenik at 6am and we were here first in the tent. All is excellent! The defeat to France will not happen again, we will win 36:26 – 24-year-old Zvone said, adding that the atmosphere in Zagreb could be better than it was in Split.

The rest of his friends sang and had fun, holding their beers and expecting more fans to arrive to the tent.

The Portuguese also cheering for Croatia

Apart from Croatia’s faithful fans, 32-year-old Vitor Marques and Ricardo Coito from Portugal will also cheer for the Croatian team.

- We arrived from Portugal to watch the World Handball Championship. We like Croatia because of the fun the hosts will provide us. We think Croatia will win over France, it has better players and an excellent audience which will exert pressure. We have already been to Zadar and Split. We arrived to Zagreb on Tuesday and we like it – they said.

Old February 2nd, 2009 #136
bmwbiker

Default Croatian Pupils to Learn about Holocaust in Israel

Croatian Pupils to Learn about Holocaust in Israel

The holocaust cannot be compared to current events from the viewpoint of politics, the minister said, evidently alluding to Gaza

ZAGREB, CROATIA – The issue of holocaust cannot be compared to today’s events from some daily political views – Croatian Education Minister Dragan Primorac said opening a seminar for teachers about teaching about the holocaust and preventing crimes against humanity.

- I often go to Israel and I wish to personally take there a group of pupils from Croatia so they can see the Yad Vashem – the minister said. We will put forward a written proposition to the Israeli government when the parliamentary elections are over there. We will organise a trip for out students by the end of this year and the arrival of Israeli students by the end of the 2010. It is my great wish that they see how much we have done here in Croatia regarding education since we started the project in 2004, at the beginning of my mandate, he said.

Croatia made most progress in the region

During the past five years, 500 Croatian teachers underwent education about the holocaust and another 160 were educated abroad – in the United States, Israel and the European Union. Today they are educators for teachers in neighbouring countries. Israel also has a signed bilateral agreement on scientific cooperation and student exchange only with Croatia, America and Germany.

The seminar for the teachers will last until February 4. The first of 16 lecturers, among several from Israel and the United States, was Ivo Goldstein, a renowned historian and member of the Jewish community in Croatia. In his lecture about the Independent State of Croatia (NDH, 1941-1945) he stressed that it was “a notorious historical fact” that after the state was proclaimed, most Croatians realised it was not a state they wanted.

- Most Croatian citizens were at first satisfied and accepted Yugoslavia’s defeat in the war and the establishment of the NDH in the sense of establishment of an independent Croatia and they believed that the brief April war avoided the bloodshed that was in other countries in Europe. There is no doubt that soon they were disappointed and had less sympathies for the newly established state. The first great shock for the Croatian national feeling were Roman agreements on demarcation between Italy and NDH from May 18, 1941, with which Italy got almost the whole of Dalmatia, large areas of the Croatian coastal region and parts of Gorski Kotar, although the population in those areas were exclusively Croatian. At that time Stories went around Split that all the land to Karlovac would be Italian and from Karlovac German.

Goldstein: Pavelic was a mayor of Zagreb without suburbs

Professor Goldstein cited to the public, which also included the Israeli Ambassador to Croatia,

Liquidations over Abortions

Ivo Goldstein illustrated the cruelty of the NDH towards its own citizens with ads that had been massively put up during those days, which read that a Zagreb midwife had been shot to death by decision of the “mobile criminal court” because she carried out an abortion on a pregnant woman for 400 kuna.

Schmuel Meirom, numerous reports, statements and quotes proving that the NDH regime soon caused disgruntlement by Croatians and in its first year brought about high inflation, a high rate of unemployment and food shortages. “That government’s minister, Mile Bodak, admitted that when he said in his speech in Gospic in 1943 ‘There is not enough food here!’”

Numerous Croats, Goldstein said, opposed The Ustashi persecution of Jews and Serbs.

- The estimates were that in 1942 Ante Pavelic had the support of only two percent of the population in Croatia, and a report from 1943 says: “when it comes to the governing and power of Ante Pavelic, he is merely the mayor of Zagreb without suburbs” – Goldstein said.

In the end he stressed that the destruction of Jews in the NDH had been carried out systematically and that the genocide had achieved its goal – after the war, the Jewish community could not be renewed.

kids are going to brainwash....

Old February 3rd, 2009 #137
A.P.H.

the world needs a commemoration day about the jewish genocides commited against other nations, so we could remember all their victims from the old testament aka torah...

Old February 4th, 2009 #138
bmwbiker

BRITT LAPTHORNE CASE Elke Lapthorne: We Have Not Seen Suspect’s Photo Channel 7 conducted their own investigation in Croatia and came to their conclusions and findings, Mrs. Lapthorne told Javno.

After Melbourne’s Channel 7 made a bombastic announcement that they will for the first time reveal the identity of a person they call the chief suspect in the murder of Australian backpacker Britt Lapthorne, we contacted Britt’s mother, Elke, who told us that the family have not yet seen the photograph of the suspect themselves.

- Channel 7 conducted their own investigation in Croatia and came to their conclusions and findings and what they believe is the chief suspect in Britt’s murder – Mrs. Lapthorne told Javno.

Earlier we contacted the Dubrovnik police who said they had no new leads in the case and had absolutely no suspects in the death of the 21-year-old tourist.

When we asked Elke Lapthorne how Channel 7 can presume to have located and obtained a photograph of the “main suspect” in the case when not even the Australian pathologist could not determine Britt’s cause of death, Elke said:

- It is correct that the cause of death could not be determined, but we definitely suspect it was foul play. Britt was not suicidal by any means and there is nothing that would make us believe she wasn’t murdered.

The Lapthorne family will be meeting the producers of the documentary this week, before the show airs on Sunday, when they will show them the picture of the “main suspect” and reveal to them what discoveries the Channel 7 team has arrived to during their investigation.

- We are very eager to see what they have found and to see the photo of the suspect and learn what they have discovered during their investigation – Mrs Lapthorne concluded

Old February 4th, 2009 #139
bmwbiker

PROSERBIAN PAROLES Pro-Serbian Graffiti Sprayed In Croatian Vukovar The graffiti were sprayed on the Post wall and cinemas in Borovo naselje quarter, the children`s playground and buildings

VUKOVAR, CROATIA – Many graffiti written in Cyrillic letters dawned on Tuesday morning on buildings in Vukovar.

Apart from the usual cross with four letters `S`, writings `This is Serbia`, `Death To Croats`, `Death to Ustasha`, `Welcome to the Serbian Republic – you are all Serbs` and similar pro-Serbian paroles were sprayed during the night with car paint at various locations across the city.

The graffiti dawned on the Post wall and cinemas in Borovo naselje quarter, the children`s playground, park walls and housing estates.

The police constantly fight nationalist graffiti in Vukovar, because as a rule, they never find the perpetrators, unless they are caught red-handed.

Just a day before Croatian Victory and Veterans` Day and Homeland Thanksgiving Day, graffiti reading `Serbia`, `This is Serbia` and the cross with four letter `S`, dawned on the Ovcara Memorial Home on August 5, 2008

Old February 4th, 2009 #140
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Since, the Cyrillic language is no longer mandatory for teaching, the Croat children will not be able to read the graffiti which will defeat the purpose of the graffiti writer

Thread