Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 1st, 2014 #21
Ray Allan

The Iranians have no doubt been reverse-engineering that ZOG drone as quickly as they can to either build their own version or develop countermeasures for it. I don't know if they would be willing to throw it away on a one-way mission to destroy Tel Aviv, that would be suicidal since Israel has nukes to retaliate with. But they could share certain technical details to aid the Palestinians in their defense against future Israeli attacks.

Old September 1st, 2014 #22
Smiley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl LaForce View Post
Infrared is basically radiated heat. Radar is radio frequency energy. A counter measure effective against one is not likely to be effective against the other.

The Stinger uses a two wave length sensor that uses a permissible rate of change algorithm, and it sensitive enough to lock on to the heat generated by air friction.
well that is certainly interesting, I'm sure it would lock onto the greater heat source though.

They could just place a roman candle in the solid rocket fuel so it starts shooting out fireballs when it's running out of fuel. Might be a cheap, easy tactic, just like jet fighters use flares.

Old September 2nd, 2014 #23
Nate Richards

I think there will be that one good jew, he will carry the little nuke right in there himself.

Old September 2nd, 2014 #24
Karl LaForce

Default If you plan to out think these guys you need to do your homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
well that is certainly interesting, I'm sure it would lock onto the greater heat source though.

They could just place a roman candle in the solid rocket fuel so it starts shooting out fireballs when it's running out of fuel. Might be a cheap, easy tactic, just like jet fighters use flares.
The Stinger on board guidance control computer locks on with two channels in two different “colors” (your eye translates wave lengths into colors, so it helps some people to think of different IR wavelengths as colors). The guidance control computer picks one color because it is the most prominent, not necessarily the hottest, and the second color is picked by a different algorithm. The lock takes place before the missile takes flight. The targeting lock in not affected by normal temperature changes of the two colors. Chaff (burning strips of magnesium) is somewhat effective because it can overwhelm and block the natural IR radiation from the target from reaching the IR sensor if the chaff cloud is between the Stinger sensor and the target. The stinger also spins in flight, and in the few short seconds of flight it learns the pattern of the target, and as the new heat sources will have a different pattern in the eye of the sensor as it spins the countermeasure is less likely to fool the guidance control computer. If I remember correctly the latest Stinger has a nearly 3 kilo war head of (very high) high explosive, and as soon as the lock is broken it detonates, so missing by a few meters is still a kill.
I am not an expert by any means. I had about one hour of official training when I was in the military, but the rest I learned by reading open source documents.
What I am trying to say is that a Roman candle countermeasure is not going to work. Raytheon spent a fortune on this weapon system starting around 1970. A friend of mine designed one of the circuit card mounts for the control unit. I am not picking on you, I'm just saying if you plan to out think these guys you need to do your homework.

Last edited by Karl LaForce; September 3rd, 2014 at 10:03 AM.

Old September 2nd, 2014 #25
Smiley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl LaForce View Post
What I am trying to say is that a Roman candle countermeasure is not going to work. Raytheon spent a fortune on this weapon system starting around 1970. A friend of mine designed one of the circuit card mounts for the control unit. I am not picking on you, I'm just saying if you plan to out think these guys you need to do your homework.
uh...you're kidding right?

well I admit that is all way over my head, but wow, your friend must be like a rock star in that sector. Those types are usually pretty humble and all though, the really truly smart ones. Definitely a cool story.

Old September 2nd, 2014 #26
Smiley
Banned

I would have really loved to learn all that electronic stuff, I had a physics teacher that was pretty uninspiring when I was learning the basic circuits stuff, wasn't very good.

I find there are very few books that teach it very well, also, it's something hard to learn from a book.

to me all this wireless technology is just such an awesome power for good, but also evil, I really desire to understand it.

I don't feel ashamed for not understanding it of course, if it was easy to understand every government in the world would have stinger missiles, obviously the smartest people in the world can't figure out how to duplicate them.

Old September 3rd, 2014 #27
Karl LaForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I would have really loved to learn all that electronic stuff, I had a physics teacher that was pretty uninspiring when I was learning the basic circuits stuff, wasn't very good.

I find there are very few books that teach it very well, also, it's something hard to learn from a book.

to me all this wireless technology is just such an awesome power for good, but also evil, I really desire to understand it.

I don't feel ashamed for not understanding it of course, if it was easy to understand every government in the world would have stinger missiles, obviously the smartest people in the world can't figure out how to duplicate them.
My friend was a summer intern, with only a limited security clearance, not any kind of leader in the industry. He is smart, but not a universal genius. Because all the internal designs and component drawings are corporate secrets. and classified information, and covered by export control laws, and regulated by international arms control treaties, there is no way to know if that mount (or some unique design aspect) is still in use today.

If you want to learn about electronics do it by working with something you are already interested in.

If you are into cars, build, program and tune an engine control module, like the Megasquirt.
MegaSquirt MegaSquirt

If you want to learn about wireless tech, the ARRL handbook is the place to start. It starts at the beginning and is packed with simple projects.

2014 ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications Softcover: arrl: 9781625950017: Amazon.com: Books 2014 ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications Softcover: arrl: 9781625950017: Amazon.com: Books

If you are into computers get a Raspberry Pi and learn to program Linux.

Amazon.com: CanaKit Raspberry Pi B+ Ultimate Starter Kit (Over 35 Components: Raspberry Pi B Plus + WiFi Dongle + 8GB SD Card + Case + Power Supply and many more): Electronics Amazon.com: CanaKit Raspberry Pi B+ Ultimate Starter Kit (Over 35 Components: Raspberry Pi B Plus + WiFi Dongle + 8GB SD Card + Case + Power Supply and many more): Electronics

If you are really interested in science then there is a path for you. Find it and get on it.

Thread