Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 22nd, 2007 #1
Jane_Doe#5

Default Anyone with a history of having "High-Risk" pregnancies?

Im currently 11 weeks pregnant. I have two sons (Both born prematurely), and had several miscarriages, in between them and my current pregnancy.

They have diagnosed the problem, and will be performing a surgical procedure called a 'cerclage' in two weeks, so this baby will be able to carry to term.

Has anyone out there ever had this done? What was it like? (Feel free to PM me, if youd rather keep it private).

Im also concerned about the anesthesia factor, because I have a history of metabolizing anesthetics too rapidly, in which case it would probably be better to go with a general or epidural, as opposed to a spinal, but Im not certain what all my options are. I think that about covers all of them, though.

Thanks.

NOBAMA '08

Old December 22nd, 2007 #2
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane_Doe#5 View Post
Im currently 11 weeks pregnant. I have two sons (Both born prematurely), and had several miscarriages, in between them and my current pregnancy.

They have diagnosed the problem, and will be performing a surgical procedure called a 'cerclage' in two weeks, so this baby will be able to carry to term.

Has anyone out there ever had this done? What was it like? (Feel free to PM me, if youd rather keep it private).

Im also concerned about the anesthesia factor, because I have a history of metabolizing anesthetics too rapidly, in which case it would probably be better to go with a general or epidural, as opposed to a spinal, but Im not certain what all my options are. I think that about covers all of them, though.

Thanks.
Check out the information on this website relating to the cervical cerclage procedure.

As far as the anesthesia goes this is something to discuss with the anesthesiologist and again with the anesthetist if the former isn't going to actually administer the anesthesia. While I am a registered nurse and have worked level two neonatal units I have no experience with labor and delivery.

Old December 22nd, 2007 #3
Summer
WN Mother

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well with your current pregnancy. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe you'll have a daughter this time.

I have never heard of 'cerclage' or else I would say something more. I was persistent while I was pregnant on looking up every little thing about pregnancy and issues concerning the fetus (now my baby girl). I got paranoid at times, hormones kicked in, but all ended well.

I ended up getting to the hospital right on time. I had been in labour most of the day, thought I was just having Braxton Hicks, all back pain. I had decided to lay down at about 2 am and all of a sudden I experienced an incredibly sharp pain and we rushed to the hospital. They told me I was at 9 centimeters when I arrived. So no drugs for me. All natural labour. And the pain, my god, the damn pain, holy hell. That was the worst pain I have ever felt, and I have felt pain before, bad pain. I kept asking for Epidural but they said it was too late. They had me laying on my side for awile which made the pain worse. Had my baby girl early in the morning. Took about 5 minutes to push her out. Thankfully. I was about to start throwing stuff at the nurses, they were bitches, very rude.

Don't know why I am telling you this, I think that is what new mommies do. But I do wish you all the luck in the world. I hope someone out there knows about this and will guide you. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

P.S. Since you have had two babies already the pain should not be as bad. Do it naturally if you can or just use nitrous oxide.

Old December 22nd, 2007 #4
Jane_Doe#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
Check out the information on this website relating to the cervical cerclage procedure.

As far as the anesthesia goes this is something to discuss with the anesthesiologist and again with the anesthetist if the former isn't going to actually administer the anesthesia. While I am a registered nurse and have worked level two neonatal units I have no experience with labor and delivery.
Thank you for your response. :-) Ill go look at the article, though I have done a good bit of research on it (and I know exactly what it is), I was looking more for personal experiences, and any advice anyone who had gone through it had.

NOBAMA '08

Old December 22nd, 2007 #5
Jane_Doe#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Oh my, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well with your current pregnancy. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe you'll have a daughter this time.

I have never heard of 'cerclage' or else I would say something more. I was persistent while I was pregnant on looking up every little thing about pregnancy and issues concerning the fetus (now my baby girl). I got paranoid at times, hormones kicked in, but all ended well.

I ended up getting to the hospital right on time. I had been in labour most of the day, thought I was just having Braxton Hicks, all back pain. I had decided to lay down at about 2 am and all of a sudden I experienced an incredibly sharp pain and we rushed to the hospital. They told me I was at 9 centimeters when I arrived. So no drugs for me. All natural labour. And the pain, my god, the damn pain, holy hell. That was the worst pain I have ever felt, and I have felt pain before, bad pain. I kept asking for Epidural but they said it was too late. They had me laying on my side for awile which made the pain worse. Had my baby girl early in the morning. Took about 5 minutes to push her out. Thankfully. I was about to start throwing stuff at the nurses, they were bitches, very rude.

Don't know why I am telling you this, I think that is what new mommies do. But I do wish you all the luck in the world. I hope someone out there knows about this and will guide you. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

P.S. Since you have had two babies already the pain should not be as bad. Do it naturally if you can or just use nitrous oxide.
Hi! Thanks for responding!

I with my first con, I didnt have any pain until I was 9cm dilated, as well. I actually have a problem with what they did, because my labor stalled out (He was 32 weeks), and I didnt have to be inducde, which would have bought him some more time and just required that I be hospitalized and put on bedrest, but the Doctor ruptured my membranes, therefor he had to come out.

Putting women on their sides and backs, is the worst thing to do, and most CNMs (Certified Nurse Midwives) are aware of this. Its more convenient for the doctor, but terrible for the mother.

I went natural with him, too. Oh my god, that was the worst pain of my life! My nurses were rude too, I was screaming during a contraction, and she actually got in my face and told me to shut up! (Can you believe that?).

My second was born via C-Section, and this one will also require a C-Section, due to the type of cut they made in the first one.

My husband wants to be there with me, but he's worried he'll get sick or pass out. (Hes terribly squeamish about blood, especially mine). Heh. I probably didnt help my cause, when in explaining the procedure, I mentioned they have to rearrange your intestines and things, to get to your uterus. I would have left that part out, but I didnt know at the time he was so worried about it. Oh, well.

Thanks, again!

NOBAMA '08

Old December 22nd, 2007 #6
Stronza

Yes, what the hell is it with nurses who attend birthing women??? This job seems to attract psychopaths. I had 2 nurses - one black as coal and the other a jewess wearing her star of david - abusing me like crazy.

If there is the slightest truth to the theory of reincarnation, then in that one experience I must have paid for sins of 300 previous lives, for sure.

Old January 18th, 2008 #7
Jane_Doe#5

Well, its been a couple weeks and the surgery went well. No problems like Id had previously with the anesthesia, and after my first follow-up this past monday, everything looked great.

Of course, this couldnt just be a good news post. Oh, no. It seems lightning has struck twice, and now I have more problems to deal with.

Prior to the surgery,t hey ran a complete blood panel, for anyting that could lead to miscarriages. (They actually took 9 vials of blood from me!). Well, when the result came back, The doctor said I have a syndrome that we didnt really discuss much, and I asked him to write it down so I could research it, but we both forgot. It was overshadowed by the other thing they found, lupus anticoagulants in my blood.

Now, having lupus anticoagulants isnt necessarily having lupus, but during my research there is a form of lupus called "Drug Induced Lupus" which is caused by medications. At the top of the list, was the medication they have had me on for two years for my anxiety. I was pissed. I get tested next monday for lupus. Ill be so pissed if they gave me lupus.

..Contrary to what youd think, "lupus anticoagulants" actually mean a predisposition to increased clotting in your body (though it resists clotting in test tubes, which is why its called an "anticoagulant"), and so now I have to take twice daily Heparin injections, for the duration of my pregnancy. And baby apirin. (Cant figure out why if Im on injections of blood thinner, Id need baby aspirin, but whatever he says goes as far as Im concerned). The reason clotting is bad, is because if a clot forms in the placenta, it will kill the baby.

The ultrasound was wonderful. Saw his little fingers and he was kicking and dancing around, and sucked on his thumb. Started feeling movement this week, which has been really wonderful.

Anyway, just an update on the thread.

NOBAMA '08

Thread