VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > Loxist Culture > Sports
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old July 26th, 2015 #1
Ian Smith son

Default A 16 year old French girl might be the first female major league baseball player

Quote:
At first I thought this story was a hoax - a riff off the famous Sports Illustrated prank where writer George Plimpton ("Paper Lion") gushed in the magazine about Sidd Finch, the wunderkind who could throw the ball 168 MPH. People

believed that hoax for 15 days until Sports Illustrated came out with the truth. (The date of publication for the article was April 1).

Now comes a story about a 16 year old French girl, Melissa Mayeux, who just became the first female player added to Major League Baseball's international registration list, making her eligible to sign a contract with a major league team.

Prospects typically are placed on the international list at Major League Baseball-sanctioned events after verifying their dates of birth and citizenship. While anyone can be placed on the list, only those who have the potential to be signed are generally registered.

"Personally I still can't believe it," Mayeux said via telephone from the Czech Republic, where she was representing France in the Under-18 European championship.

"All that's happening is a result of my name being put on that list. For now, (my life) is a bit complicated," she added with a laugh.
Read more: Blog: A 16 year old French girl might be the first female major league baseball player

Thread