Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 27th, 2008 #1
Horseman

Default SUV plunges off highway overpass, killing 7

Maybe it doesn't have much to do with our issues, but it shakes you up. 2 small kids, and on this day of families getting together. Probably it was a white family, as they were from Canada. I recall reading something a few years ago, how you're more likely to die in an SUV than a car, especially the older model SUV's like this one, which lacked roll-over prevention electronics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27945963/

Old November 27th, 2008 #2
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Maybe it doesn't have much to do with our issues, but it shakes you up. 2 small kids, and on this day of families getting together. Probably it was a white family, as they were from Canada. I recall reading something a few years ago, how you're more likely to die in an SUV than a car, especially the older model SUV's like this one, which lacked roll-over prevention electronics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27945963/
It is sad if they were White. I suspect that the vehicle leaving the highway, falling off a bridge, and hitting the below concrete embankment had more to do with their deaths than a lack of roll over protection. Looks like the driver may have fallen asleep.

Old November 27th, 2008 #3
Horseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
It is sad if they were White. I suspect that the vehicle leaving the highway, falling off a bridge, and hitting the below concrete embankment had more to do with their deaths than a lack of roll over protection. Looks like the driver may have fallen asleep.
perhaps you're right. Nevertheless, many thousands have died from not understanding the dangers of SUV's, thinking they are safer than cars, especially in 90's models ford and chevy SUV's. I was trying to roll that general point in.

Old December 1st, 2008 #4
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Unfortunate for the kids. However, no sympathy for brain-dead adults who should know that these vehicles are intended for utility only and who are otherwise informed of accidents which have occured when these vehicles are fitted with improper tires (Ford Explorer with Firestone tires http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all ).
Not only are these people endangering themselves. They could have victimized anyone who happened to be below the bridge.
The chassis dynamics of such vehicles prohibits them from being suitable for passenger transport on turnpikes.
There are vehicles available, for this purpose, which have a lower center of gravity

Thread