Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 1st, 2005 #1
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Default Best assault weapon value

I recently bought a used Ruger Mini-30 (7.62x39 cal.) in good condition through the classifieds for $350. As the previous owner used it for deerhunting in Pa., the original wood stock has it's dings and chips and the barrel and receiver are in need of re-blueing. I bought a synthetic folding stock with stainless extension online for $75 and plan on shipping it to Ruger for a factory re-blueing and overall facelift (figure it'll cost about $100 + S&H).

It came with 30, 10, and 5 rd. clips and two boxes of ammo. Let me tell you, folks -- this piece kicks ass! I took out to the field a couple Sundays ago and was very impressed. Never fond of ghost-ring sights, I was surprised at the grouping I put together at approx. 100 yds. And it feels as though the trigger's got a 3 oz. pull on it -- very fast.

Anyone else out there owning a hot assault rifle with a total cost of under $1,000? Let's hear about it.

Old November 1st, 2005 #2
ragnar

I wanted to get a ruger mini-30 at one time (either that, or the legendary deerfield ). Right now I'm saving my money for a hk g3 caliber .308 that comes with 2 20 rnd magazines for $550. I'm pretty poor, so it may take awhile. Take that thing assault-varmint hunting yet?

Old November 1st, 2005 #3
Oy Ze Hate
We're the Good Guys

Default double bladed axe dude

Cheap, easy to use, and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat for lopping off the heads of untermensch.

And it "swings both ways".

Old November 1st, 2005 #4
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
I wanted to get a ruger mini-30 at one time (either that, or the legendary deerfield ). Right now I'm saving my money for a hk g3 caliber .308 that comes with 2 20 rnd magazines for $550. I'm pretty poor, so it may take awhile. Take that thing assault-varmint hunting yet?
Any H&K is a damn fine piece and a .308 will take any animal on the North American continent -- four-legged or bipedal.

Old November 1st, 2005 #5
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

my experience with this piece is that you need to use stock ruger magazines because the aftermarket ones are shit. you can sometimes find ac556 20 rd mags but I would not trust 30 rd mags to feed reliably. I dont know if ruger made these for the 762 version or not.

you dont want to waste any money on junky ass magazines that will misfeed in a pinch. when you are under pressure things go wrong and the magazine is the weak link in the rifle loading chain more often than not.

Old November 1st, 2005 #6
antiZOG

I like the choice of caliber ( 7.62 X 39 ), it's plentiful enough, at this moment.
Also, 5.56 mm, ( M-16 ammo ). I would say both are good medium range cartridges, with my preference leaning to the Russian round, because it has more mass, is not deflected off course as easily by twigs, foliage, or the wind.
We must remember however, that distance is life, especially when an individual might be hypothetically one day find himself against the might of a large, organized force, armed with optics, infra-red, communications net, air-support-on-demand, advanced body-armor, and a massive logistics system to support it all.
This is why having at least one long-range precision rifle, with good optics, and good training, is a good idea. Calibers like 7.62 X 51 NATO (.308) are the minimum. The Russian 7.62 X 54 is I think, even better, when loaded to full strength. Both are plentiful. 8mm Mauser, is another good one, also when full-strength ( not down-loaded as US ammo makers do for liabilty reasons ).
US 30'06 is another excellent one, but you don't see as many deals on ammo, that there are with the 8mm and Russian 7.62 X 54.
Now, if you are in a riot situation, with masses of armed thugs roaming nearby, then yes, the fire-power of a self-loading rifle is advantageous.
Here is an old proverb that IU read once: "The Best Armor is to Stay Out of Range". Get reckless and you'll end up like swiss cheese.
-just my two cents..

Old November 2nd, 2005 #7
T.J. McAllister

DPMS AR Carbine, 16" Barrel- $700 OTD. Very ergonomic, 5.56x45mm, handy, and reliable with USGI mags and any ammo that's not WOLF. PS, if you're going to buy an AR, don't waste your time with "rails", laser sighting, flashlights, etc. She's high class, but won't put up with BS and she's high on the maintenance.

Cugir SAR-1- $300. Short, quick to shoulder with simple iron sights and a scope mount on the side for Soviet-pattern optics. Eats the shittiest ammo on earth, and then begs for more. Mags are plentiful and are strong enough to be considered "melee" weapons. Its 7.62x39mm cartridge is ballistically similar to the .30-30 Winchester, but the x39 is lighter and a hell of a lot cheaper than the -30 Win. This unseemly broad ain't much to look at, but she'll always cook and clean, and she's always "in the mood" when you are.

Old November 2nd, 2005 #8
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reusser
DPMS AR Carbine, 16" Barrel- $700 OTD. Very ergonomic, 5.56x45mm, handy, and reliable with USGI mags and any ammo that's not WOLF. PS, if you're going to buy an AR, don't waste your time with "rails", laser sighting, flashlights, etc. She's high class, but won't put up with BS and she's high on the maintenance.

Cugir SAR-1- $300. Short, quick to shoulder with simple iron sights and a scope mount on the side for Soviet-pattern optics. Eats the shittiest ammo on earth, and then begs for more. Mags are plentiful and are strong enough to be considered "melee" weapons. Its 7.62x39mm cartridge is ballistically similar to the .30-30 Winchester, but the x39 is lighter and a hell of a lot cheaper than the -30 Win. This unseemly broad ain't much to look at, but she'll always cook and clean, and she's always "in the mood" when you are.

ha, all good suggestions and observations. Remember, also, that Che Guevarra said the insurgent must use the same rifle chambered in the same round used by the occupation army.

Old November 21st, 2005 #9
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
my experience with this piece is that you need to use stock ruger magazines because the aftermarket ones are shit. you can sometimes find ac556 20 rd mags but I would not trust 30 rd mags to feed reliably. I dont know if ruger made these for the 762 version or not.

you dont want to waste any money on junky ass magazines that will misfeed in a pinch. when you are under pressure things go wrong and the magazine is the weak link in the rifle loading chain more often than not.
I have one 30 rd. mag (not Ruger. Matter of fact, no markings on it whatsoever) and I zipped through it w/o a hitch. I pulled the trigger as fast as I possibly could, trying to get it to jam. No dice.

I've fired hundreds of rds. through 20 rd. mags (M-16) while in the military and had many, many jams. M-16s are famous for that. Not so with Ruger -- at least not in my experience.

Old November 21st, 2005 #10
Jenab
Senior Goatly One

Somebody who has bought several guns should post what a newbie buyer should expect when he approaches the gun store proprieter to ask him to order a nice SAR-1 or Colt Commando. What papers does the buyer have to show? What questions does the buyer have to answer? What "gotchas" are in the process, if any? What disqualifies someone from buying a rifle such as these? What laws can you run afoul of, if you're not careful? Give a walkthrough.

Jerry Abbott

Last edited by Jenab; November 21st, 2005 at 05:58 PM.

Old November 21st, 2005 #11
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Need your driver's license. Need to answer form 4473. Answer truthfully but read carefully. If you are a convicted felon, you're prohibited. If you're under a domestic restraining order, you're prohibited. Don't show up and try and buy a gun if you're prohibited.

Those are two things that people run afoul of most regularly. There are other questions too.

Can't recall some of the other stuff. Don't buy guns for anybody else, that is a straw man purchase-- regardless of your intentions-- and that is prickly topic too.

Here is an example

http://www.instapunk.com/archives/BATF_Form_4473a.html

Old November 21st, 2005 #12
JoeSixPack
Opponent of Semitism

Quote:
What papers does the buyer have to show? What questions does the buyer have to answer?
Most gun dealers know why people like powerful guns and they aren't going to pry too deeply into your reasons or potential uses so long as your papers are in order and you don't bring up illegal activity. "Target shooting for fun" is a good catch all reason for purchasing ANY firearm.

Keep in mind that some laws may vary by state.

If you live in a non-communist state where there are no "Assault Weapon" bans or registration requirements, the ATF form and a background check is all you'll have to worry about. Answer (truthfully) "yes" to question 9a on the 4473 and "no" to the others, and put your real name and address.

The background checks are required by the "Brady Bill" but they are up to the States for particular implementation. Here in Georgia, there is an instant check. Cost = $5. They take your ID, name, birthdate, and optionally SSN and run you through the GCIC/NCIC database. If you are clean, you pay and walk out with your gun. If you have a CCW permit, there is no check and you save $5. In Florida, it is similar, but there is a 3-day waiting period on handguns.

Old November 21st, 2005 #13
Sean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
If you're under a domestic restraining order, you're prohibited.
The sheriff told me that to be under domestic restraining order or EPO it has to be made by your spouse. He said you can’t get a restraining order against a neighbor or the like.

Also the country attorney said someone has to directly threaten your life or point a gun directly you and threaten your life before you can get a warrant for their arrest.

Was that all a crock or any truth to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSixPack
Most gun dealers know why people like powerful guns and they aren't going to pry too deeply into your reasons or potential uses so long as your papers are in order and you don't bring up illegal activity. "Target shooting for fun" is a good catch all reason for purchasing ANY firearm.
They ask questions? I wouldn’t say anything, just pick up the gun and hand them the money. The more you say the more suspicious you look. BTW I was at a gun show once and the guy sold a gun to some gook who couldn’t even speak English. He just picked up the gun (Taurus 9MM) and started snapping it. No papers or anything just paid double the book value and walked off.

Old November 22nd, 2005 #14
JoeSixPack
Opponent of Semitism

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean(doc)martin
They ask questions? I wouldn’t say anything, just pick up the gun and hand them the money. The more you say the more suspicious you look.
I'm thinking small talk, here. Every time I have bought a gun, I have at least discussed the basics of that particular firearm with the dealer, or compared it to others, or talked about it's suitability for a particular purpose (e.g. deer hunting). No honest gun dealer would ever consider such an exchange a "red flag".

Do you think talking is suspicious but paying double the asking price in cash without saying a word isn't?

Old November 22nd, 2005 #15
Sean Martin

Who pays double the asking price? I am a pacifist I don’t believe in buying guns, my lethal weapon is my mind. The creativity of the Aryan mind is enough to defeat any weapon in the world.

But the last time I bought a gun (before I saw futility in owning firearms) I told the person I was stocking up for the race war. Then he said he was going to buy some talons (popular ammo at the time) because he had been stocking up for the race war as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSixPack
Do you think talking is suspicious but paying double the asking price in cash without saying a word isn't?

Old November 22nd, 2005 #16
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenab
Somebody who has bought several guns should post what a newbie buyer should expect when he approaches the gun store proprieter to ask him to order a nice SAR-1 or Colt Commando. What papers does the buyer have to show? What questions does the buyer have to answer? What "gotchas" are in the process, if any? What disqualifies someone from buying a rifle such as these? What laws can you run afoul of, if you're not careful? Give a walkthrough.

Jerry Abbott
I myself never buy guns through FFL dealers. I simply do not want ZOG (or any of it's minions) knowing what weapons I possess. At present, I own 4 guns (3 handguns and 1 rifle). All are legal and I am not a convicted felon. In Florida, it's perfectly legal to buy guns through the classifieds with absolutely no paperwork whatsoever. None. Zippo. In most cases, you don't even exchange first names with whomever you're buying/selling to.

As Steve B. pointed out to me months back, S&W cut a deal with ZOG whereas every one of their guns sold through a licensed dealer must be registered.

I've got lots to say on the subject, but I'm pressed for time. Catch y'all later.

HO :box:AX

btw -- did you know that in CT. they have 11 misdemeanors on the books that if convicted of, prevent you from owning any type of gun?...not so much as a musket?

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; November 22nd, 2005 at 08:29 AM.

Old November 22nd, 2005 #17
Jenab
Senior Goatly One

As I understand it, a straw sale is a sale in which someone eligible to buy a gun buys a gun for someone who is ineligible to buy a gun. That's illegal.

But if someone eligible to buy a guy buys a gun for someone else who is also eligible to buy a gun - i.e., the first guy is buying it as a Christmas present for the 2nd guy - this is NOT a straw sale, and it's legal. Or so I hear.

A straw sale does not necessarily occur when one person buys a gun for another person. The other person has to be someone who could not legally buy a gun for himself in order for the sale to be a straw sale. Or so I suppose.

My dad bought me a shotgun when I was 12 years old. Was it a straw sale?

Edit: I think that it's still considered a straw sale if someone eligible to buy a gun supplies the necessary money to someone else to be the buyer. What's the difference? I think the government is counting on people not buying other people expensive presents unless they are near relatives who might share them anyway. In order to be a legal non-straw sale, the gun must be bought as a gift for someone else. The someone else isn't allowed to remunerate the buyer.

Assuming that this is in fact how the law stands, anybody who wants to buy me an SAR-1, or SLR-95, or some similar (7.62x39) rifle and a few 30-round AK mags is hereby notified that such a gift would give me great emotional satisfaction. Be sure to check the laws, though, and don't do it if it's illegal despite my research that indicates the legality of such a gift.

(There might be something illegal about shipping a hunting rifle across state lines, but I haven't researched that, so I don't know. Also, what I'm doing at the moment is "soliciting a gift," which is illegal when Congressmen go seeking bribes or when corporate representatives do business for their employers. I don't know of any law that makes it illegal to grant a request for a firearm as a gift, but make sure: if there is, don't do it.)

I've never been convicted of anything except traffic citations, none of which was felonious. If I had a nice rifle, I'd hunt for food with it, and practice shooting paper targets. I don't anticipate using any firearm to threaten or harm humans, but of course if it comes down to killing an armed intruder or being killed by an armed intruder, I'll use any weapon that I can get my hands on...and so would you. When I wasn't using my rifle for legal purposes, I'd keep it on a wall mount inside my house.

Remember, it's got to be a gift. So I can't promise any remuneration or return favor. Naturally, my receipt of this gift doesn't rule out my doing you any favor that I would have done anyway, but it doesn't make such favors any more likely, either.

Edit #2: Naah, never mind. Forget about giving me a rifle, in case anybody was thinking about doing it. There's just no telling which law the giver and I would both miss, but which a Justice Department lawyer would know about. Not worth taking a chance.

Jerry Abbott

Last edited by Jenab; November 23rd, 2005 at 12:19 AM.

Old November 22nd, 2005 #18
T.J. McAllister

Quote:
Who pays double the asking price? I am a pacifist I don’t believe in buying guns, my lethal weapon is my mind. The creativity of the Aryan mind is enough to defeat any weapon in the world.

But the last time I bought a gun (before I saw futility in owning firearms) I told the person I was stocking up for the race war. Then he said he was going to buy some talons (popular ammo at the time) because he had been stocking up for the race war as well.
Yeah, unfortunately I lost all my firearms in a boating accident last year.

Old November 23rd, 2005 #19
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
I am a pacifist I don’t believe in buying guns, my lethal weapon is my mind.

But the last time I bought a gun (before I saw futility in owning firearms)
Would you care to elaborate?

Old November 23rd, 2005 #20
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

it's believed by many dealers that any purchase for another person is a straw man sale, and a violation of law, regardless of whehter the other person is a lawful owner of firearms or not.

My dad bought me a shotgun when I was 17 too, ironically, and yes, many would now regard that sort of transaction as a potential violation of law.

there's been quite a bit written about this in the NRA magazine which I have not wasted time reading in years since I caught the whiff of Jews about the place.

Thread