VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 27th, 2005 #1
SMG3000
Wants Closer Ties to Iran

Question Filing Suits Against "Correctional Institutions"

Please see my post "Bulldykes with Badges" to understand my situation.

I am planning on filing a suit, perhaps a class action suit, against a corrections institute (aka jail) here in Florida.

The suit is going to center around the abuse of those on probation and those who have been arrested but not convicted of the charges they were arrested for, although I suppose the class action suit could enjoin the testimony of those who were imprisoned in the correctional institute and witnessed or were the target of abuse of power by correction officers.

I plan to retain a lawyer working pro-bono, using any monetary damages received by a favorable ruling to pay his costs, and whatever is left to pay as restitution to those who received this abuse or were otherwise harmed by complications caused by the misuse of state powers by these "correction officers".

I would appreciate any advice or relation of experiences dealing with such suits, and what sort of information I should gather to win it.
The names of those I and others charge with misuse of power, the time of the incident(s) and nature of the misuses/abuses of power.

If the trial case is not won, and the behavior of the correctional officers is not "corrected", I will be satisfied with inconveniencing them

Thanks.

Old January 27th, 2005 #2
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

lawyers receive invitations to be involved in 1983 suits all the time and most are ignored. many 1983 suits are filed pro se and routinely dismissed by the courts. you had best do some research and well figure out the basis for your suit and why it violates your rights before you go pitching it or you will be wasting your time.

Old January 27th, 2005 #3
Todd in FL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
lawyers receive invitations to be involved in 1983 suits all the time and most are ignored. many 1983 suits are filed pro se and routinely dismissed by the courts. you had best do some research and well figure out the basis for your suit and why it violates your rights before you go pitching it or you will be wasting your time.

They are ignored because they don't have the bar stamp from a lawyer on it. Most people like SMG are just blowing off steam for being fed grits and eggs for a few days. I was in Seminole County Jail for a total of 17 months. Abuse is a relative term when refering to County jails. Yes they do stack you on top of each other but you get a cot and 3 hots so who cares? The problem is the violent niggers. 3 whites in a 40 man cell w/ the rest as niggers is not good.

Filing cases pro bono is a waste of time unless there is "specific" damage done. Inconvience is not damage. Neither is getting ones feelings hurt. Seminole Co. sucks but you better have all kinds of bruises or have had a heart attack to get a law suit won.

Thread