Administrator

Default Kievsky on Christ-insanity

http://mindweaponsinragnarok.wordpre...scare-tactics/

Old January 3rd, 2013 #2
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
It's always been my contention that Christianity's main grip on the minds of it's followers is not the promise of some dubious reward in the hereafter; but it is the fear of punishment in the hereafter for non-conformity in the here and now.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #3
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
It's always been my contention that Christianity's main grip on the minds of it's followers is not the promise of some dubious reward in the hereafter; but it is the fear of punishment in the hereafter for non-conformity in the here and now.
As a general rule, people don't want to die, period. That is the main grip of religion.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #4
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
As a general rule, people don't want to die, period. That is the main grip of religion.
Most people would gladly trade promises of an afterlife in heaven for a good life in the here and now in a heartbeat.

No one really cares about heaven - at its best it would become insufferably boring in half a day.'

It's the terror of waking up in hell that grips people's minds and motivates them to walk on metaphysical eggshells out of fear of pissing off Yahweh.

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; January 3rd, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #5
Steven L. Akins
Banned

The Christian concept of heaven isn't so much of a reward for being good as it is the lesser of two punishments for those who are less bad.

Heaven is a boring place, devoid of all carnal pleasures. Its one redeeming feature being that its residents are not constantly writhing in agony for all eternity.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #6
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Most people would gladly trade promises of an afterlife in heaven for a good life in the here and now in a heartbeat.

No one really cares about heaven - at it's best it would become insufferably boring in half a day.'

It's the terror of waking up in hell that grips people's minds and motivates them to walk on metaphysical eggshells out of fear of pissing off Yahweh.
The people in Heaven are rich, Steve. Streets of gold, remember? That's what people want. To finally be rich. If not in this life, then the next.

As for Hell, on the bright side, you live for eternity either way, so it's sort of a win-win.

Religion is easy to explain when you understand Homo sapiens.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #7
Eire

Default better to be annihilated?

I think people do like the idea of immortality in a garden of eden. This is why "sola scriptura" is so much more appealing than countless manipulative dogmas.
Sola_scriptura Sola_scriptura

If you are Jehovah Witness or 7th day adventist you can go to where the jews go, to the great "soul sleep".
Annhiliation is your reward for disobedience which is way better than eternal torment.

http://christianity.about.com/od/chr...ssoulsleep.htm

Old January 3rd, 2013 #8
Eire

Quote:
The Christian concept of heaven isn't so much of a reward for being good as it is the lesser of two punishments for those who are less bad.

Heaven is a boring place, devoid of all carnal pleasures. Its one redeeming feature being that its residents are not constantly writhing in agony for all eternity.
In hell their are carnal pleasures ad infinitum but everything has pointy edges on it.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #9
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
The people in Heaven are rich, Steve. Streets of gold, remember? That's what people want. To finally be rich. If not in this life, then the next.
Bullshit. All the gold in heaven and earth isn't worth a hill of beans because there is no where to spend it and nothing to spend it on. The Devil is the author of all vices, and he doesn't make house calls in heaven.

Heaven is like some god-awful retirement home in the sky, but without the shuffleboard and canasta.

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; January 3rd, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #10
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
In hell their are carnal pleasures ad infinitum but everything has pointy edges on it.
It's hard to imagine carnal pleasures being indulged in inside an incinerator.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #11
Sam Fisher
Banned

Christianity is a close cousin to liberalism. The former being a deity-based system, the other a deed-based system. Both are embedded with fuzzy-feel-giddiness. Both have the same jew uncle.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #12
john2020
Banned

Quote:

No one really cares about heaven - at its best it would become insufferably boring in half a day.'

Exactly, I believe that in part it is the white race's excessive altruism that made Christianity get such a strong grip on Europe, despite being of Semitic nature.

And the Jews have been using Christianity, together with our altruism to keep us as their slaves since Rome.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #13
Kievsky

I wrote this when I realized that any time I said a discouraging word about the Jeeb, the Christian commenters would start threatening to leave, and claim "you will lose without Jeeboo!" and I realized that all they do is threaten when questioned.

"You like me right? You like me commenting here? Well you insult my man JC and I'm outta here."

That, or, "All your efforts will fall flat because following Jesus is following the Eternal laws and no Jesus, no victory. You will lose/fail without Jesus."

Of course no proof of this offered. Those are the substance of what Christians say when they are questioned. So I said they can comment, but they are not allowed to make threats or use scare tactics or quote the Bible.

So far I got plenty of comments from most of my usual commenters. Setting these rules actually clears a lot of noise out of the religious talk, because most religious talk is just threats, extortion, and wholly unfounded prophecies of defeat.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #14
Steven L. Akins
Banned

I believe that you could actually completely remove the offer of an eternity spent in heaven from Christianity and people would still chose to be Christians and would still struggle to obey its precepts as long as you still included the possibility of being fated to endure eternal damnation and torment in hell if you didn't walk the proverbial line of pleasing Yahweh in the here and now.

A reward of heaven in the afterlife is not necessary to Christianity in any way; it is the fear of eternal punishment that motivates Christians.

Christianity is like a strict, overbearing, parent that keeps its children in line through fear of pain.

The Christians are like pathetic children who cry out "I don't care about the candy, daddy; just please don't beat me and I'll behave."

Religion Southern style, a billboard on I-65 north of Montgomery, Alabama:

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; January 3rd, 2013 at 02:04 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #15
Vance Stubbs
Hatespeaker

Quote:
I believe that you could actually completely remove the offer of an eternity spent in heaven from Christianity and people would still chose to be Christians and would still struggle to obey its precepts as long as you still included the possibility of being fated to endure eternal damnation and torment in hell if you didn't walk the proverbial line of pleasing Yahweh in the here and now.
Perhaps the idea of Hell is for the commoner and Heaven is for the ambitious.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #16
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Stubbs View Post
Heaven is for the fool.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #17
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Or the other way around.

It seems to me that the "rewards" of heaven might only appeal to the most simple-minded folk; whereas those of a higher mind would view such "rewards" with a jaded eye, and would prefer the eternal oblivion of non-consciousness in death over the tedious concept of an everlasting church service/family reunion in the sky.

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; January 3rd, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #18
Vance Stubbs
Hatespeaker

Quote:
Or the other way around.

It seems to me that the "rewards" of heaven might only appeal to the most simple-minded folk; whereas those of a higher mind would view such "rewards" with a jaded eye.
Hmm, maybe you're right. Hell to prey on guilt, Heaven to prey on cowardice.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #19
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Hmm, maybe you're right. Hell to prey on guilt, Heaven to prey on cowardice.
Hell to pray on reality, Heaven to prey on stupidity. I don't pray to either. Fuck them both.

Last edited by Angel Ramsey; January 3rd, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #20
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
Hell to pray on reality, Heaven to pray on stupidity. I don't pray to either. Fuck them both.
Not to seem too Rick Rosenville on you but don't you mean prey on stupidity?

Thread