Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 9th, 2013 #1
Olesia Rhoswen

Default Salt, Sugar, Fat, and Moskowitz's 'bliss point'

For anyone who isn't already aware of the addictive properties of processed food, here's something to think about. All processed food is now chemically engineered to reach a 'bliss point' where the body finds it impossible to stop eating, as it lacks any overpowering taste. The only defense is to not walk down those isles, as some are even designed now to produced cravings. At the root of it all is Howard Moskowitz, who 'studied mathematics and holds a Ph.D. in experimental psychology.' It's worth a full read through, but I copied out the main bits:

Quote:
... In the months leading up to the C.E.O. meeting, he was engaged in conversation with a group of food-science experts who were painting an increasingly grim picture of the public’s ability to cope with the industry’s formulations — from the body’s fragile controls on overeating to the hidden power of some processed foods to make people feel hungrier still. It was time, he and a handful of others felt, to warn the C.E.O.’s that their companies may have gone too far in creating and marketing products that posed the greatest health concerns...

...The company’s Yoplait brand had transformed traditional unsweetened breakfast yogurt into a veritable dessert. It now had twice as much sugar per serving as General Mills’ marshmallow cereal Lucky Charms. And yet, because of yogurt’s well-tended image as a wholesome snack, sales of Yoplait were soaring, with annual revenue topping $500 million. Emboldened by the success, the company’s development wing pushed even harder, inventing a Yoplait variation that came in a squeezable tube — perfect for kids. They called it Go-Gurt and rolled it out nationally in the weeks before the C.E.O. meeting...

...Cadbury Schweppes in 2004 turned to a food-industry legend named Howard Moskowitz. Moskowitz, who studied mathematics and holds a Ph.D. in experimental psychology from Harvard, runs a consulting firm in White Plains, where for more than three decades he has “optimized” a variety of products for Campbell Soup, General Foods, Kraft and PepsiCo. “I’ve optimized soups,” Moskowitz told me. “I’ve optimized pizzas. I’ve optimized salad dressings and pickles. In this field, I’m a game changer.”

...Howard’s gift to the American people. . . . He fundamentally changed the way the food industry thinks about making you happy...

...He made clear that while he has worked on numerous projects aimed at creating more healthful foods and insists the industry could be doing far more to curb obesity, he had no qualms about his own pioneering work on discovering what industry insiders now regularly refer to as “the bliss point” or any of the other systems that helped food companies create the greatest amount of crave. “There’s no moral issue for me,” he said. “I did the best science I could. I was struggling to survive and didn’t have the luxury of being a moral creature. As a researcher, I was ahead of my time.”

...On Page 83 of the report, a thin blue line represents the amount of Dr Pepper flavoring needed to generate maximum appeal. The line is shaped like an upside-down U, just like the bliss-point curve that Moskowitz studied 30 years earlier in his Army lab. And at the top of the arc, there is not a single sweet spot but instead a sweet range, within which “bliss” was achievable....
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Old March 9th, 2013 #2
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

I think I'll continue eating my salted blubber while everyone else starves at the cellular level because some kike newspaper -- speaking of experimental psychology -- woowoo'ed the superstitious peasants into shunning their vital dietary requirements by way of fallaciously associating them with sugar.

Typical intellectual fraudulence of the jewish type you get from all media anymore: an ounce of truth wrapped in a pound of bullshit.

Boooooo!

Old March 9th, 2013 #3
littlefieldjohn

What's the deal with the 'kosher gelatin' they add to all these kike- brand yogurts?Something like horse hooves where the critter is turned -upside down and bled to death by a rabbi or whatever? I'm lucky enough that when I want yogurt I get it unprocessed,direct from a dairy farmer. But like my old track coach used to tell me , if you're putting in hard work and burning the fuel, forget all the gimmicks, they put a hot dog in front of you, you'll eat it. Just avoid the high fructose corn syrup.

Thread