VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 29th, 2013 #1
Zenos

Default GOP lawmaker calls Hispanic workers ‘wetbacks’

Ermagerd u ernserlterd mahxercerns!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/g...-politics.html
During a discussion about ongoing challenges to the economy Thursday, Alaska Republican Rep. Don Young referred to Hispanic workers as "wetbacks," an ethnic slur used to describe migrant workers.

“My father had a ranch; we used to have 50-60 wetbacks to pick tomatoes,” Young told Alaska public radio station KRBD. “It takes two people to pick the same tomatoes now. It’s all done by machine.”

The term "wetback" is a pejorative term that has been used to describe workers from Latin American countries who swim across the Rio Grande to reach the United States.

Young's comments come just weeks after the Republican National Committee called for candidates and lawmakers to soften their tone when discussing Hispanic Americans and immigrants in an effort to engage Latino voters after getting only 30 percent of their vote in the 2012 presidential election. Republicans are currently working with Democrats in Congress to shape a comprehensive overhaul of the nation's immigration system, and comments like Young's could serve as a distraction from those bipartisan efforts.

In a statement to the Anchorage Daily News, Young said he meant "no disrespect" when he used the term.

"I used a term that was commonly used during my days growing up on a farm in Central California," Young said in the statement. "I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays and I meant no disrespect."

House Speaker John Boehner condemned Young's comments Friday morning and demanded that he apologize.

"Congressman Young’s remarks were offensive and beneath the dignity of the office he holds," Boehner said in a written statement. "I don’t care why he said it – there’s no excuse and it warrants an immediate apology.”

Old March 29th, 2013 #2
Dan Smith
Banned

Look how that brave man stood up for Latinos! Its surely going to get more Latinos to vote Repuglican!

I really would not be surprised if the republicans orchestrated this little blip as an attempt to woo wetbacks to vote for Republicans in the future. Look for more little blips in the future where Republicans get a chance to "stand up for Latinos!".

Old March 29th, 2013 #3
Zenos

The niggers are going to start feeling left out soon as both parties bend over backwards for the mexishit vote.

Thread