Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 31st, 2015 #1
Ian Smith son

Default Domestic worker rescues children from robbers

Domestic worker and children flee home when robbers descend on them.

A quiet morning at home during the school holidays nearly turned into a nightmare for the Lotz children when two men broke into their Valhalla house on Tuesday morning at 09:00.

Leo (10), Vince (6) and Juliette (2) were at home, being looked after by the family’s domestic worker Veronica Hlopulusa. Vince was in the living room when he decided to get some food from the kitchen. On his way he was confronted by an unknown man standing in their home.

Vince immediately screamed for help. A panicked Hlopulusa ran into the house, and saw the man. She grabbed Vince, and ran past the man, further into the house, grabbed Juliette and ran out through the front door.

Meanwhile Leo had locked himself in his room. Hlopulusa, with Vince and Juliette in-tow had run into the garden. They knew that Leo was still in the house and did not know how to get him out. Hlopulusa ran to Leo’s bedroom window and shouted at him to get out.

Thinking quickly, Leo kicked out his bedroom window, shattering the glass. He jumped out, but as he was manoeuvring through the window, his leg got caught up by a chunk of broken window-pane, ripping out a piece of his leg muscle.

Hlopulusa and the three children then ran through the garden toward the neighbour’s house. They climbed over the fence, into the neighbour’s yard from where Hlopulusa phoned Janine, the children’s mother.

“When Veronica (Hlopulusa) phoned me she was in shock. She could only tell me that someone had broken in, and that she and the children had to run away – then the phone cut out. I rushed home, but I also phoned the community policing forum (CPF) and asked them to go to my house and see if everyone was okay,” said Janine.

During the time that Janine was rushing from work to her home, the two men tried to break into the neighbour’s house.

The men finally fled when they saw the CPF arrive at the house with Monitor Net and ADT in-tow.

“I really have to thank the CPF, Monitor Net and ADT for their speedy response. When I arrived they had already made sure that everyone was okay,” said Janine.

Leo was taken to hospital for surgery. “The glass really tore out a big piece of his leg. He first has to have the gash filled and then stitched up. He and Veronica were both really brave during the whole incident,” said Janine.

http://rekordcenturion.co.za/42797/d...-from-robbers/

Thread