Full Thread: Edgar Steele
View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2012 #2671
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Re: Edgar Steele "charged in murder-for-hire plot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
No, you didn't confuse me. Whether he loves the Ukrainian woman or not is very, very relevant. If he loves her to the point of murder (and to the point of risking alienating his kids by killing their mum) in order to be free to be with her, then he is not going to risk their love by sending love letters to 99 of her fellow countrywomen. This suggests to me that his claim of exposing some scam is probably true.

Can you tell me which law it is that states you are mad if you write to a girlfriend from prison? We don't have that law here. That it was unwise of him is probably true. That he had too much faith in the system by believing that he would be believed as to the reason for the letters is probably true. That he is insane is unsubstantiated conjecture.

Another point to consider is that the greater the mind is, the harder they fall when dementia or insanity strikes. That he was a lawyer suggests he had an above-average mind. If insanity were to strike him, it would hit him hard and it is doubtful he would be able to hide it from the world in general. One certainly wouldn't have to scour and dig to find vague incidents that might suggest a mental aberration if one spins them hard enough.

He knows the law. His actions suggest he has a sufficient enough grasp on reality to be able to make the insanity defence if he wished, knowing it would buy him an easier life. He didn't.

Do you think your hatred of lawyers might be colouring your judgment?

I seem to be in good (and a large) company. I just haven't seen anything that convinces me he is insane.
Unlike the Steele cheerleaders on this thread, you make many good points and are a worthy opponent. You fail to see the forest for the trees however. Let's take a shortcut on the reasoning process.

Suppose that Steele took his clothes off and danced naked in front of the jury. (The U.S. Marshalls were unprepared and too dumbfounded to stop him in time.) Would that be evidence to you that he was insane? Once you answer that question we are well on the way to solving this case.

BTW, my hatred of lawyers has been reduced to an exact science. Nothing pleases me more than to watch one led off in handcuffs. I want to see all 1.1 million of them in this country dangling from ropes. I suffer severe pain in this case from trying to get one out of prison. However I am suppressing my hatred of them in order to do my duty here.

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; June 30th, 2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo