View Single Post
Old 4 Weeks Ago #24
T.Garrett

T.Garrett
Talking Stewart is out in the Meadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Meadows View Post
The latter (i.e. the bolded part).
Why couldn't you just simply say you became familiar with Sardinian during your studies at ...I don't believe you said where?

Quote:
Yeah, maybe it's the medium...or maybe I'm just slower than the average person. (Could be.)
I was kidding but now I'm beginning to wonder ...

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think that you're putting too much emphasis on the Semitic influence. It's not like Sardinian is some half-Romance/half-Semitic gutter language; it has a solid Latin base.
Like Maltese

Quote:
Even if you just take a quick look at some Sardinian texts or sentences, it almost immediately becomes apparent why it's considered the most conservative Romance language. Look at the following excerpt from the Wikipedia article that I linked to in one of my previous posts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardinian_language

In the Italian-language version of this Wikipedia page, the above sentence reads "Mettimi tre pani nella bisaccia". Now let's compare these languages to each other:

English: Put three loaves of bread in the bag for me.

Latin: Pone mihi tres panes in bertula.

Sardinian: Ponemi tres panes in bertula.

Italian: Mettimi tre pani nella bisaccia.

(Bisaccia is an old-fashioned word for a kind of bag that peasants used to have. The most common modern-day Italian word for bag is borsa, which appears to be of Greek origin. However, if you're talking about a backpack, the kind that school kids wear, you would normally say zaino, which is a Germanic loanword.)
Again with that wiki page, I expected more from someone who studied a language at university level. Some anecdotes regarding your studies, links to obscure pages about Romance languages on the web, some poetry.

There's huge volume of high quality verse in Romance languages ...but I get nothing. Nothing from Virgil, no Dante, no St Francis who wrote the first literature in Italian language (Umbrian dialect) Laudes Creaturarum none other than the Canticle of the Sun, which is a favorite of mine, no Ezra Pound who once called the English a slave race ruled by the jewish Rothschilds ...????

Just one sentence from a wikipedia article? You studied languages?

Quote:
Now, do you see how similar Sardinian is to Latin? Especially compared to Italian? Yes, I know, this is just one sentence, and you could say that the person who wrote the Wikipedia article was cherry-picking, but it's just one of many examples.
No I really don't see, Stewie. But I'm just breaking ballz. I'll stick to my opinion because you haven't shown me anything but a wiki article which you keep citing over and over and this is becoming redundant and boring.

Cheers bro, have a good one!

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres; unam partem incolunt Belgae ...

Last edited by T.Garrett; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:19 AM. Reason: I'm hung over and spelling is atrocious