View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2005 #18
Kievsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B
Can you recommend a good Yoga site? Or maybe a few stretching exercises? Iv'e always had a bit of a problem with flexibility and once I got past age 40 it has gotten worse. The strength and stamina is still there but lately when I roll out of bed in the morning I'm stiff as a board(no pun intended).

Also, some knee and shoulder injuries in high school and college are starting to cause me a bit more pain. Can Yoga help? I don't know anything about it but I am willing to try anything short of pain killers.(the little gook kid, Anima, is probably chuckling to himself over this).

I went to the health food store a while back and the large breasted female who worked there sold me a concoction of Glucosamine/Chondroitin plus MSN. It really helped out! I don't know if it is the placebo effect or if the stuff really works but my joints feel 100 times better!

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Go to Amazon and get a video either from the Kripalu center (which is a gentler style, but very thorough) or Iyengar. If you are the athletic type, get Bryan Kest or Barone Baptiste. I leanred it mostly from videos, but I did take some Iyengar classes and they were very valuable.

If I could, I would study Iyengar yoga. it focuses on perfect form of the asanas. once you learn the asanas (poses) you can just make up your own routine. If you are out of shape, do a lot of standing poses, and try to hold them for 1 minute, maybe 90 seconds, even 2 minutes at a time. It takes between 90 seconds to 2 minutes for a stretch to really work through your muscles and joints. Also, breathe deeply while in t he pose.

Rob