View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2019 #18
ColdFire
Banned

Quote:
stop calling the South 'scottish' ...you mean 'Scot' anyway
Sry , gotta remind you , English is not my mother's tongue . . . Heehee , that was voluntarily now though
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
No I was joking about Russia . .
I noticed . . hence my , if you found it so , also humourous attempt at a response

Quote:
But St Andrew's cross is a commonly seen motif in self-declared 'christian' countries to this day including the Confederacy before our civil war.
. . I suppose in many Anglo-Saxon christian countries . .

Scandinavian countries for example have a sidewise cross on their flag . .

. . Denmark

. . Sweden . .

. . to name two . .

Quote:
And Scotland, but that doesnt mean the south was 'Scottish'.
. . I never said 'The south was scottish' . . I meant many people there had that ancestry even to the point that some claim that the American southern dialect was influenced by Scotland . . And it is a fact that most of the capitalists in the old south were of scottish origin . .

. . does that make the south 'scottish' ? No . . did many people there have that ancestry . .? Probably yes . .

Quote:
Russia has flown the flag since the days Peter the Great began building the country into a modern power from a feudal one and probably long before.
. . that might be true . .

Quote:
And again, the ethnic mix of the pre-1850 american south was exactly the same as the north among white folk ...mainly English with much lesser amounts of Scot and Irish, Dutch and German blood you can look it up that's the way it is.
. . yes , the USA is a conglomerate of many euro peoples , that's true , however some influences might be more significant in certain areas than in others . . .

I will look it up now that you recommended it . .

However , if you imply the ethnic makeup in the South was 'just like in other parts of the country' , how would you explain a ) that many claim the American southern dialect is influenced by Scottish ? b ) that at least the Klan of the 1800s strongly emphasized a Scottish heritage ?

. . coincidence . .?
Quote:
Haha these foreigners
I take it that wasn't meant 100 per cent seriously . . But you can believe me I'm a sucker for history and that includes of course also American history . . If you stumbled over other facts than I did , no problem . .