View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2010 #29
Joe_J.
Radio active

Default Memphis: nigger fecal matter causes city to consider a shut down of fountains

Quote:
(Memphis - 7/1/2010) When the weather heats up, the fountains next to Memphis City Hall are a popular place for Mid-South families to cool down.

"It's a public park. There's kids out playing, and we thought, we'll come out here as well," Toni Bejko said.

But they aren't the only ones. The homeless are known to use the area for makeshift showers and baths. One man we spoke with says he uses the water to wash-up.

"The only thing I'm going to do is wash my arms and my face and my hands," the homeless man said.

"This is our first time down here," one grandmother named Janice said.

It may be her last.

The On Your Side Investigators put the water to the test, taking samples from the fountain and this pool area nearby.

The state says there shouldn't be any E. Coli in swimming pools, but we found levels as high as 58 cfu in the pool. This indicates there is bacteria associated with feces in the water.

In total coliform, which includes rotting vegetation and human and animal feces, the state says more than four colony forming units are unacceptable. But in this pool, the results are off the charts -- more than 2,400 cfu.

"I'm really surprised. I guess it should be blocked off and the city should be testing it as well," Bejko said.

We took our results to the city to see if they plan to take action. In a written statement, it told us "the fountain was never intended to be used as a public pool" and that it "took steps to at least make the water safe to some degree."

We found some of those steps were taken the same day we shared our results with city officials.

Chlorine tablets were placed in the pool area, but there was still debris and trash in the pool too. We also saw evidence that someone has been bathing in the pool and fountains again.

When we shared our results with Janice, she and her grandson packed up and left.

But don't be surprised if you still see people in the water. The city has no plans to shut the area down.
http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-dirtyf...,4490022.story

Quote:
(MEMPHIS 7/2/2010) Nobody is happy about this. The Main Street Mall fountains at Memphis City Hall are a place where parents and children often spend these hot days of summer cooling off. They really shouldn't. News Channel 3 Investigators tested the water at the fountains and at a nearby reflecting pool and found high levels of bacteria. E-coli was the main culprit, and the Tennessee Health Department says any amount of e-coli found is too much. The solution to this problem might not make many folks happy.

They can repair the fountain filtration system. All they need to do is find two million dollars. Memphis City Chief Administrative Officer George Little says that's not going to happen. "Another option we would have would be to put up a fence. Part of the value of the fountains is the aesthetics…the way it looks. It really helps to liven up the plaza. The third option is turn the water off. We would hope we would not have to do that, but alternatively if it comes to that, that's really the most viable choice we would have."

We noticed some people keeping their children away from the fountains, following our report. "It is regrettable that it comes to this," Little said, "…but it's like many things in the public sector. We had good intentions when we started out, but maintaining and keeping it up is an expensive proposition."
http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-water-...,5310920.story