View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2003 #2
Brenda

The canning guide does look like an excellent resource. I have never done that kind of canning myself and don't know too much about it, but I do know that there is an alternative to "conventional" canning that doesn't involve vacuum sealing or pressure cookers, making it even simpler. By adding a few spoonfuls of whey to the jar of vegetables as well as a small amount of salt, and leaving at least 1 inch at the top of the jars, you can preserve the food. The lactic acid in the whey will inhibit the growth of bad bacteria, and will let good bacteria flourish making the end product more nutritious. People preserved food this way before they had cans or vacuum sealing. You can make the whey by getting raw milk and letting it stand in a warm place for a few days, the whey will separate out from the curds, the curds can be used like cream cheese or used in baking. I have made sauerkraut this way and it came out great, it will only get better with age, I hear. These fermented vegetables are eaten more as a condiment than main dish, so perhaps this would be a compliment to vacuum-sealed canning.