View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2018 #10
ColdFire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylowsac View Post
The accent of most whites here is quite neutral. There are some American accents that sound almost like another language.
I'm not American but of course I have been exposed to many Americans talking ( whether on TV , movies , CDs etc . . .) . . .
Two things to mention are that I have noticed Californians mostly talking in quite a 'high' and gentle voice . .
The Texas accent for example sounds quite 'rough' and I think , despite not being American I would be able to figure it out . . .

Some Texans talking . .

Quote:
I was born in the Southern United States, my parents moved there from Scotland before I was born. Though much of my childhood was spent in Wiggin, in Lancashire, just below the Scotish border. I've lived in Northern California since '92.
Funny thing to mention , the American South was influenced by Scotland . . .

Many slave owners in the American South were of Scottish heritage ( factory owners , plantation owners . .) .

It is even claimed that the American Southern dialect was influenced by Scottish . . .

Also, look at the flag of the Confeferacy during the war of seccession . .

This is the Scottish flag . .

Similarity . . two askance stripes . . .

Apparently a lot of American Southerners were / are pround / aware of their Scottish heritage . .

Quote:
In Scotland, everyone says I have an American accent and in America, they say I have a Scottish (or often British) accent.

Quote:
Many of the large cities here (e.g., Frisco, L.A., San Diego) are overrun with illegal immigrants who speak English sparingly, if at all.
I suppose soon our nations even won't speak our native languages any more For example someone going to Stuttgart , Germany to learn Swabian will have learned Turkish or Kisualheli afterwards . .