Full Thread: college
View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2010 #66
Alex Linder
Administrator

[Il Ragno post, on the meaning of a college degree these days]

Sluggo has yet to encounter the phenomenon of the minority Management-Trainee Hire who literally cannot read or write, and requires one or more of the whites working under him to actually explain/do the work for him.

They are legion and every last man jack of them has they collitch degree!

Quote:
The idea that a degree is totally unnecessary to succeed is anti-intellectualism. It is the pipe dream of those who (for whatever reason) did not make it through college. If a college degree doesn't matter then why do so many companies demand that you have a degree before they hire you?
Well, let me answer that this way:

Quote:
Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven’t got: a diploma. Therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Universitartus Committiartum E Pluribus Unum, I hereby confer upon you the honorary degree of ThD. Doctor of Thinkology!
The bitter irony (is there any other kind these days?) is that, back when so many of those oldtimers dropped out of high school and began building their empires, those universities they passed up actually were "seats of great learning", and a lot of those folks felt genuinely lesser - incomplete - for never having attended (or finished, if they had).

Nowadays, when those schools are largely seats of cultural leftism and political-indoctrination laboratories and everybody demands to see a degree, those men would have never stood a chance. Somewhere along the line between pauper and king, our regimented hamster-wheel society would have thrown down an impassable gauntlet to permanently derail their momentum. While giving the all-clear to half-a-dozen clearly-incompetent brilloes, in accordance with the persuant directives of the Federal Leg Up Act.

http://www.thephora.net/forum/showth...t=68277&page=2