View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2006 #60
FranzJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrhus
The best book to start with is

"President Roosevelt and the Coming of the War:1941" by Charles Beard...
Beard is good, but if I were to recommend anyone a book to start with, it would be The New Dealers' War by Thomas Fleming. (That's Fleming the novelist/historian, no relation to the editor at Chronicles.) To begin with it's easier to find nowadays.

This book amazed me when I first read it because I was born & raised & still live it what was Darkest Isolationist America. This is the sort of thing I grew up with, but from a major publishing house! When I was growing it was strictly small press stuff in the library like War Through The Back Door and The Roosevelt Myth. Great books, but only for people like us, never a majority anywhere.

Fleming is independent as hell but The New Dealer's War would have fit on the old Isolationist Bookshelf real well.. He updates some of the old "conspiracy theories" with newer declassified information, which has the effect of nullifying some of them at the same time as making Roosevelt & his New Dealers look worse than they did already.

If that seems impossible, just scroll through some of the praise/hostility Fleming provokes among the reviewers at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/046...lance&n=283155

And seriously. Flemings' focus on the cabal (instead of only FDR) is cogent. For "New Dealers" read "Neocon" and by god even a 10 watt intellect can't miss the connection between then and now.

At least I hope not.