Full Thread: Dialects
View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2019 #16
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
I assume the 'interesting excerpt' boils down to what I bolded in the quote, from 'wikipedia' in which the difference is like splitting hairs between my uneducated opinion and those of the author ...who in this rare case I'm actually familiar with.

Mario Pei wrote the awful and biased translation from Italian into American English of de Fiori's book on il Duce, worked for the OSS and the 'War Department' during WWII (against the country of his birth and their allies), accepted a professorship at looney Columbia University after the war which was chock-full of the (((kind of folks))) we rant against on VNNF, a position he never could have secured without (((their))) approval btw, was a champion of (((internationalism))) and promoted esperanto as the world language, and last thing I can think of offhand is that lousy and jewy book he authored "Weasel Words" which was published around the time of his death and which I read in skewl (and still have somewhere). This guy was a sell-out douche, but wikipedia cites him as a brilliant linguist and scholar.

But, alas I am not a linguist or a Columbia professor so I guess his opinion has more weight than mine. I just know in my heart that no red blooded Italian would ever say that some fucking semitized language spoken by island monkeys was more akin to one of their stellar gifts to the world, the Latin language than today's Italian is.

But, who am I ...I'm just a commercial construction manager in NYC ...that deals with a lot of Italian Americans and guess what ...they all feel the same as I do.

Cheers
Thank you for this interesting post, T. There's no doubt that it was wrong of Mario Pei to work for the evil, jew-controlled Department of War, and to promote globalism and the stupid and ugly artificial jew language known as Esperanto, but the claim that Sardinian is the language that's closest to Latin (or "the most conservative Romance language", which is another way of putting it) is widely accepted. Have you ever read texts in Sardinian and then compared them to Italian and Latin? I have, and I agree with the experts.